Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
... corporations are people under the law, so this would be like denying the bonus to you because your brother who lives with you received it before.
The company is not the applicant. It might be different if we were discussing Corporate cards, but companies cannot apply for American Express Business cards. The application is always made by an individual.

By submitting this application, you, as an individual and the Authorizing Officer of the Company, (a) are requesting us to open an Account in the name of the Company, (b) are requesting that we issue Card(s) as you direct, (c) are agreeing to be jointly and severally liable with the Company for all charges to the account, and (d) are REPRESENTING THAT ALL CARD(S) ISSUED ON THE ACCOUNT WILL ONLY BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS PURPOSES. Only qualified individuals 18 or over may be approved for a Card Account. This offer is available to US Residents.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:28 pm

"are requesting us to open an Account in the name of the Company" does not at least suggest that you are applying for an account for a company?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Apache137
I have good news, maybe.

I decided to just go ahead and apply.

Used the online link open.com/getplatinum

Put in my code on the letter and applied.

I essentially just made a new LLC on the IRS website just before applying (for a legitimate new business, just the timing has worked out for me with this).

Got issued an EIN number.

Applied with the business name, address etc... selected "partnership" as the type of business, since my wife and I will both be operating it together.

Put in annual revenue 0-49k, less than one year in business, and the EIN number.

Then it asked me to put in my social on the next page, and annual income.
I did so, and then I was approved. Simple as that.

Skeptical still, I called the number and gave the ref code in the congratulations email to confirm I got the 150k offer, and the rep told me yes.
He also said the words "I see you're a long time member of ours so we're going to rush you the card overnight, yadda yadda thank you blah blah...."

Why that's interesting to me is that the only other cards I have are the spg biz and the amex biz plat for my primary business
Did you spend a lot on those spg biz and amex biz plat? I have spg biz and spend more than 100k annually. I wonder if that makes me a bad candidate to receive the 150k offer.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:27 am

I spent average 150k or so annually over the last couple of years on the spg and biz plat cards.

I'm trying to think of the best way to go about it.

Really, I have no interest in spending 20k in 3 months on a new card if there's no nut at the end...

I'm thinking to call after the card comes in and speak to someone, but I wouldn't know where to start.

If they confirm that I would not be able to receive the bonus, then I'll plead my case politely, and if they still don't budge then I'll politely request to cancel the account and my other platinum account, and though I prefer to use AMEX, Chase and others reward me for my business without these types of restrictions...

Something along those lines. Maybe they'll budge or offer something or maybe not. Just kind of disappointed that they sent me the offer in the first place, especially if they know I'm already a customer with a biz plat card. That's really borderline infuriating, and seems dishonest to me.

Thoughts?

*Edit,
After looking at my credit report and seeing which cards report to my transunion and equifax, the SPG Biz and the Biz Plat that I had before don't report to them. They are both cards for my business, which is incorporated and not a simple LLC.
I remember putting in an EIN when i applied, but I'm not sure if I ever had to put in my social.
Is it possible to apply for a biz card with an EIN as a legit corporation and not use your social? Idk.
If so, then I believe I should be good, as this will be the first time AMEX is running my social? All a bit confusing.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Apache137; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
My wife got a 150k offer in the mail for the Amex Plat Business card (we don't have a business which is weird).

The exact offer was 100k points after $5k spend in 3 months, and then 50k extra points for +$10k more spend in 90 days.

We've "thought" about creating our own business since she's a CPA (currently working in the private sector), but we haven't jumped ship yet since creating an LLC in California is like $800 a year in fees alone.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by CASACW2
We've "thought" about creating our own business since she's a CPA (currently working in the private sector), but we haven't jumped ship yet since creating an LLC in California is like $800 a year in fees alone.
No need to create a company. My spouse is a lawyer, and she was approved using the answers listed in post 306 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24496714-post306.html
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mia
No need to create a company. My spouse is a lawyer, and she was approved using the answers listed in post 306 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24496714-post306.html
Oh cool! Thanks for sharing that!

Question about the business card though... if she does the business platinum card (has to use her social) will that prevent her from ever getting an amex platinum personal card since the bus. card is attached to the social?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:27 am
mia

...if she does the business platinum card (has to use her social) will that prevent her from ever getting an amex platinum personal card since the bus. card is attached to the social?
1. Everyone who applies for an American Express Business card must supply a Social Security card, even if they also have an EIN.

2. Holding Business card(s) has no effect on her ability to qualify for a bonus for a personal card. They are separate products.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Oh cool! Thanks for sharing that!

Question about the business card though... if she does the business platinum card (has to use her social) will that prevent her from ever getting an amex platinum personal card since the bus. card is attached to the social?
Business and Personal are separate products
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by dlandz
Business and Personal are separate products
Thanks for the info, dlandz and mia!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the info, dlandz and mia!
no problem! let me know how to get this offer, I'd kill for it!!!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:50 pm

The exact offer was 100k points after $5k spend in 3 months, and then 50k extra points for +$10k more spend in 90 days.

Does this mean $15k spend in the first 90 days to get the full bonus? Or is it $5k spend in 90 days, and then $10k spend in the FOLLOWING 90 days (total 180 days from app) ?

another question:

my roommate owns a (very) small business, and despite me trying to convince him otherwise, is furious that credit card companies keep sending him business offers like this (oh the horror! ) because of his anti-CC mindset. So yesterday I see the 150k biz plat offer just sitting on the ground in the living room, and of course my mouth starts watering.

He is an entrepreneur who is always demo-ing new products to small stores in our area, and I'm his main idea-collaborater / product pitch man.

Would I be able to apply under his targeted offer if I consider myself an employee of his business?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Thefirst
Would I be able to apply under his targeted offer if I consider myself an employee of his business?
Likely not, because the offer is tied to his name and Social Security number. American Express does not issue cards to small businesses, but rather to the people who own them.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:50 am

Strangely, although what Mia says is correct, that they base their accounts off of SSN and they also restrict their personal card promotions to the person whose name is on it, they do not restrict their business promotional offers to the business/person who receives it. You can only apply for it with your own legitimate business, but you can use a different business' offer.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:54 am
mia

You may wish to explore this thread. Some success, some failure. Some posters may not specify personal vs business, but you can get a sense of what may work:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.