Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Question: With the once in a lifetime rule, can anyone tell me if it's possible to get two Amex Plat Biz cards for two different legit businesses?
Where is the once in a lifetime rule with Amex business cards? Hint: Amex Personal and Business cards often have different restrictions related to ineligibility for bonuses.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Question: With the once in a lifetime rule, can anyone tell me if it's possible to get two Amex Plat Biz cards for two different legit businesses?
The once in a lifetime rule does not apply to business cards. However, most American Express business card offers exclude a new account bonus if you currently hold the same card, or have cancelled with the past 12 months. American Express regards the individual, not the business, to be the applicant.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:22 pm

received targeted offer 150k bonus Amex platinum open business

The offer is not for me, but for one of my parents, so can they transfer points to my airlines account? Obviously, first name won't match but last name will.

The offer is for 100k points after $5k spend, and we get the remaining 50k points after another $10k spend.

We're thinking about just going for the 100k points after $5k spend.... Not sure if it's worth to spend extra $10k just for 50k points....?

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; May 19, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
The offer is not for me, but for one of my parents, so can they transfer points to my airlines account? Obviously, first name won't match but last name will.

The offer is for 100k points after $5k spend, and we get the remaining 50k points after another $10k spend.

We're thinking about just going for the 100k points after $5k spend.... Not sure if it's worth to spend extra $10k just for 50k points....?
They can transfer if you're an authorized user. However, there is a hefty fee for adding additional users on the biz plat, so I'd say it not worth it. People (until a day ago) spent 5k for 25k SPG points. so i see no reason not to go for the full 150k
Old May 20, 2015, 1:42 am

They can always have the miles transferred to their ff acct and then book flights for you from their ff acct.
You would be earning 6 MR per $ spent on that last $10k, so yeah I would say it is definitely worth it. Wish I would get one of these offers and would gladly do the $15k spend.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:00 am
mia

Originally Posted by exmike
They can transfer if you're an authorized user.
1. You can be a Supplementary Cardholder on any of your parents' American Express card accounts linked to the same Membership Rewards account, it does not have to be the Business Platinum account.

2. Supplementary Green cards can be added to a Business Platinum account with no fee.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
1. You can be a Supplementary Cardholder on any of your parents' American Express card accounts linked to the same Membership Rewards account, it does not have to be the Business Platinum account.

2. Supplementary Green cards can be added to a Business Platinum account with no fee.
So, a "supplementary card holder" is not an "authorized user"?

If my parent adds me as a "supplementary cardholder", they can transfer points to my frequent flyers account?
Old May 20, 2015, 1:44 pm
mia

If my parent adds me as a "supplementary cardholder", they can transfer points to my frequent flyers account?
Supplementary cardholder is the term that American Express uses instead of Authorized User. They can transfer points to the frequent flyer and hotel accounts of any cardholder.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Supplementary cardholder is the term that American Express uses instead of Authorized User. They can transfer points to the frequent flyer and hotel accounts of any cardholder.
I believe it'll cost $300 to add an AU for Amex open plat business card.... bummer... probably won't do it.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does this card waive foreign transaction fees, or do the standard usury Amex markups apply? I have some major purchases to make for business and I could easily bag the 150MR, but the fees would make it difficult to swallow.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:07 am
mia

I believe it'll cost $300 to add an AU for Amex open plat business card...
It would if you needed a supplementary platinum colored card, but you do not. Your parents can request a green colored supplementary card on a Business Platinum card account. (See post 186.)

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does this card waive foreign transaction fees,
Yes

https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...dBenefitsTerms

Last edited by mia; May 21, 2015 at 2:14 am
Old May 21, 2015, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
It would if you needed a supplementary platinum colored card, but you do not. Your parents can request a green colored supplementary card on a Business Platinum card account. (See post 186.)
Is the free green supplementary card for US card holder as well ?

I can't find any information about free green supplementary card for plat business account on any of the American express webpages....

And I am assuming green supplementary card holders don't get the same benefit as the platinum card holder?

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; May 21, 2015 at 4:22 am
Old May 21, 2015, 4:29 am
mia

... assuming green supplementary card holders don't get the same benefit as the platinum card holder?
Correct, these are business cards. The Green cards allow employees to spend money, and have the transactions billed to the employer's account.

To use this feature your parents will need to establish the account, register it online, then navigate: Add cards for employees > Enter four digit CID > Card Type.

Additional Card Fees
The annual fee for each Additional Business Platinum CardŽ is $300.
The annual fee for each Additional Business Gold Rewards Card is $45.
There is no annual fee for Additional Business Green Rewards Cards.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:46 am

Will the spend on the employee Green supplementary card holder's account count against the $20K in 90 days requirement for the 150K points?
Old May 21, 2015, 9:59 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colin
Will the spend ...
Yes, a dollar is a dollar. American Express looks at the account, not the individual cards, when tracking new account bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.