Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

I've waited for this to get posted, but none of my questions were answered by the newly posted terms!

The important piece of the new extension is the following:

Length of Coverage

Where a Loss has occurred during the Extended Warranty Period, We will provide a benefit equal to the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of up to five (5) years.

If the item is also covered by a purchased service contract, the Extended Warranty Period begins at the end of the purchased service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for a period of time equal to the warranty, up to two (2) additional years.

If the combined coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceed five (5) years, the item purchased is not eligible for benefits under this Plan.
It reads very clear to me for third party service contracts that extends a warranty. Such as buying a BB extended warranty on a Fridge. Assuming the OEM Fridge warranty is 1 year this plan would extend that warranty by 1 year at the end of the purchased service contract as long as the OEM warranty + the service contract combined don't exceed 5 years. It gets confusing to me when you factor in Apple Care + which isn't a third party service contracts. Apple Care+ Extends the OEM warranty and is provided by the OEM directly, effectively amending the warranty terms.

I'm still unsure if this would generate a 3+1 or a 3+2 with respect to Apple Care+ purchased for a MacBook Pro. I'm leaning toward a 3+1 with it breaking down as follows:

1 Year Apple Warranty + 2 year Apple Care + = 3 Year Warranty Coverage + 1 Year Amex Extended = 4 years total coverage (minus the Accidental Damage coverages in AC+)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Frazell
I'm still unsure if this would generate a 3+1 or a 3+2 with respect to Apple Care+ purchased for a MacBook Pro.
It will be 3+1.

Without the AppleCare, the 1-year warranty is the original manufacturer’s warranty. This is the maximum what AMEX will extend.

AppleCare is a purchased service contract.

Note - even AppleCare has a better coverage, AMEX's obligation is to simply for the original manufacturer’s warranty.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:27 pm

Anyone have a recent experience in performing an extended warranty claim with a phone? I know AMEX told me it would take at least 10 days for a claim to be reviewed once my documents were received. Is this accurate in other people's experience?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ceevee
Anyone have a recent experience in performing an extended warranty claim with a phone? I know AMEX told me it would take at least 10 days for a claim to be reviewed once my documents were received. Is this accurate in other people's experience?
It varies. Some times lightening fast and you have a credit in a couple days, other times they want you to get estimates, submit additional info, and it takes time to be reviewed. You are not sharing any details as to what device or what the issue is so hard for us to comment what Amex may do.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:17 pm

Had a 6s+ claim process a week after I submitted estimate for it of warranty fix. The prior year had a Bose claim and that one also took about a week.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

My experience with an iPhone 6S:

Purchased 2 years ago with AppleCare (i.e service contract). Original warranty expired and additional year warranty from AppleCare already expired. Coverage now provided by AMEX in year 3 of ownership.

Filed claim over the phone September 1.
Received email to provide store receipt September 2. Sent receipt September 2.
Received email to provide Repair Estimate Form September 22. I had already gone to an Apple Store for an estimate in anticipation of this request. Apple categorized the repair as an out of warranty repair other ($299 + tax). Sent Repair Estimate Form September 22.
Received email informing me of a credit of $299 + tax on October 6.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I'm very pleased with the extended warranty with the Everyday card. It took a week or so to get a credit for a laptop that broke a couple of months after the 1 year warranty expired (and had to be replaced by the manufacturer at a cost of >$500). And just recently, a LED lightbulb that I bought on Amazon stopped working within its 3 year warranty. Some online sleuthing revealed that the manufacturer went out of business earlier this year. I submitted that information with my extended warranty claim, and received a credit with a couple of days. Sure, it was <$15, but still it's nice that it was so hassle-free. (Of course, normally I don't save $15 receipts - but Amazon saves a record of your purchases and it's easy to print out a receipt even years later.)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Recent discussion of a claim for an item purchased with a Citi Hilton account which was sold to American Express has been moved, because Citi is still responsible:

Extended Warranty claim for item purchased with Citi Hilton card?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No recent changes to Amex coverage, right? Still two additional years and 120 days of purchase protection?

Buying new AirPods and leaning toward using Amex. (Used to always use Citi.) Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
No recent changes to Amex coverage, right? Still two additional years and 120 days of purchase protection?

Buying new AirPods and leaning toward using Amex. (Used to always use Citi.) Thanks.
I believe only one extra year of warranty, - Citi has two.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Apr 8, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Amex added a second year last year, didn't it?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Amex added a second year last year, didn't it?
Fin your card here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html and check.

Here's the descrition of what you get with the Platinum Card:

We will match the length of the original warranty if the original manufacturer’s warranty is less than two (2) years, or we will provide two (2) additional years if the original manufacturer’s warranty is between two (2) years and five (5) years. If the original manufacturer’s warranty exceeds five (5) years, the product purchased is not eligible under this Plan and no coverage applies.

So if your item comes with a one year warranty, Citi extends it by 2 years, Amex by one.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks. I thought Amex had essentially matched Citi's policy a while back, but I guess not.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:37 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
May 2019 Warranty Claim - Success Data Point

I just used the American Express Extended Warranty for the first time and am incredibly happy with the service. I purchased a DSLR camera less than 2 years ago using the Amex Everyday card. Unfortunately, the camera is no longer functioning properly. The 1-year manufacturer's warranty expired a few months ago. I filed a claim over the phone with the representative. The following day I received an email asking for an itemized invoice which I uploaded through the Amex website. Just 3 days later, I received a statement credit for the full amount that I paid. I did not have to send in the camera either. The process was hassle-free and now I can go out and get my camera replaced.

Last edited by aap; May 5, 2019 at 1:39 am Reason: .
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Apologies if this is answered up-thread - my head is a little spinny this morning and I"m trying to piece all the different T&Cs together.

Purchased a dryer about 22 months ago (December 2017). Comes with a 1-year Parts/Labor warranty and 10-year Parts-only warranty. One of the sensors is going funky now.
Paid for with vanilla Amex Platinum.
Also purchased 3-year extended purchase protection from Lowe's (bought at same time as the dryer).

Am I correct in assuming that my Lowe's EPP basically replaces/overrides the Amex coverage? Or do I have the option to use either for the next 2 months?
(And if I have the option to use either, any opinions/experience on using Lowes EPP vs. Amex EW?)

Thanks in advance for the help - I seriously read all the T&C docs but they all assume that they are essentially the only protection/plan in place other than manufacturer's stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.