Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Is it safe to assume AMEX Plat's warranty protection is better than chase sapphire reserve?
Probably safe.

But not safe to make that assumption with regards to Citi Prestige Elite, which provides a 24 month warranty extension (vs. 12 months with Amex in most cases.)
Brian Chen likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Probably safe.

But not safe to make that assumption with regards to Citi Prestige Elite, which provides a 24 month warranty extension (vs. 12 months with Amex in most cases.)
Thanks make sense. I have CSR and AXP Plat so I think I've topped out on annual fees lol.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
As mentioned by Frazell, just a few posts back, American Express Platinum's Extended Warranty coverage changes soon:

Extended Warranty is provided to You as a benefit of Card Membership at no additional charge when a purchase is made with Your eligible Card. For claims submitted to Us on and after August 1, 2018, one of the following will occur:

• If the original manufacturer's warranty is less than two (2) years*, We will match the length of that warranty.
• If the original manufacturer's warranty is between two (2) and five (5) years*, We will increase coverage to provide two (2) additional years of warranty.

The benefit is limited to the actual amount charged to Your Card for the item, up to a maximum of $10,000; not to exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year.

*For residents of Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Northern Mariana Islands, Your coverage will continue to match the original warranty period for warranties of less than one (1) year or provide one (1) additional year if the warranty is between one (1) and five (5) years.
I believe Citi's blanket 24 month extension is offered with most cards. No need to pay for Prestige to get this benefit.

Last edited by mia; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind American Express Platinum's Extended Warranty coverage changes soon:
But that change only affects the relatively rare situation where the item in question comes with a warranty of over a year. An item with a one year warranty will still only be extended by a year - vs. extended by 2 years with Citi Prestige Elite.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
But that change only affects the relatively rare situation where the item in question comes with a warranty of over a year. An item with a one year warranty will still only be extended by a year - vs. extended by 2 years with Citi Prestige Elite.
There are many items where a warranty of more than a year is not rare at all.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:48 am

Also have to take into account about how painful the process is. Found that AMEX Plat has been the easiest and seamless while Chase takes longer
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
I've used the extended warranty on an Android AIO computer that never really worked. I purchased it from Groupon or Woot with a Platinum Amex that I no longer have.

The manufacturer warranty was a lengthy three years. It was replaced at least two or three times by the manufacturer during the warranty period, but the replacements invariably failed. The manufacturer didn't volunteer a refund, so I more or less counted on the Amex warranty kicking in and covering the purchase.

Ultimately, it failed a fourth time shortly after the manufacturer warranty ran out. I immediately filed a claim with Amex and I received a statement credit for the purchase price within a week or so...about $300-$400.

AppleCare is expensive, and in light of the Amex warranty program, its benefits are dubious, given that the help you can get from the Genius Bar is usually pretty comprehensive--with or without AppleCare.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DAYflier
AppleCare is expensive, and in light of the Amex warranty program, its benefits are dubious, given that the help you can get from the Genius Bar is usually pretty comprehensive--with or without AppleCare.
AppleCare may cover accidental damages, which is not available through AMEX (Purchase Protection covers up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Extended warranty simply extends your warranty with nothing more).

It is not really a replacement per se.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by DAYflier
I've used the extended warranty on an Android AIO computer that never really worked. I purchased it from Groupon or Woot with a Platinum Amex that I no longer have.
You still had the card when you filed the claim though, right?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:01 am

A reminder: today is August 1, and Amex's new protection policies kick in today. Most Amex cards now have a 2-year extended warranty window (up from 1 year previously) and a 120-day purchase protection window (up from 90 days previously).

Last edited by weaseltown; Aug 1, 2018 at 10:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You still had the card when you filed the claim though, right?
wondering the same thing and assuming as much. poorly written so can't be sure though.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by weaseltown
A reminder: today is August 1, and Amex's new protection policies kick in today. Most Amex cards now have a 2-year extended warranty window (up from 1 year previously) and a 120-day purchase protection window (up from 90 days previously).
I don't see the new terms on their PP / EW website only the update last september 2017... have a link to the new terms? i am wondering if the two years is retroactive to previous purchases or only for purchases made after august 1 2018?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:18 am
mia

Extended Warranty terms are published here.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html

Purchase Protection here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
Extended Warranty terms are published here.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nty-terms.html

Purchase Protection here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html
They both seem to have the 9/17 date which was last years update?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by mysterym
They both seem to have the 9/17 date which was last years update?
When I open the Extended Warranty document it mentions the new 24 month feature, and the Purchase Protection mentions the 120 day feature. Attached are the files that I retrieved.
Attached Images
milesforhire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.