Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I'm guessing that Apple will give me the out of warranty "repair" of flat $300, which they list for everything but repair and screen. Thus the best I can do is get that cash back from Amex and get my phone fixed somewhere else. I can't find a path to getting the full new price reimbursed. Can anyone ?
This is an Extended Warranty coverage.
Your loss is the product malfunction which necessitates the repair or replacement of any one product, as covered by the terms of that product's original warranty.

If Apple said the out of warranty repair or replacement cost $300, AMEX reimburse you for that. You are out $0 Net having it repaired or replaced by Apple.

AMEX might have, in some cases, issue a credit for the full purchase amount for efficiency or customer goodwill. But that's not a given.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jun 21, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

I am very curious how Citi's new benefit administrator, Virginia Surety, is for extended warranty. A 24 month coverage period would be very valuable. I had a family members phone brick after 2.5y, well outside of Amex coverage. The only option was out of warranty $300 or whatever Apple charged them. As the benefits changed on Citi cards may 2016 we should be getting field reports hopefully soon of people's experiences when filing for warranty reimb.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:15 pm

I have never been asked for a repair estimate by Amex - they have always credited me the full purchase price before I have had a chance to send a repair estimate.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:18 pm

I'm curious about how Citi is as well. I have a Citi Prestige card, and have started putting my electronics purchases on that because of the 2 year extended warranty AND the price rewind (price protection) feature. I have gotten hundreds of $$$ in price rewind benefits.

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I am very curious how Citi's new benefit administrator, Virginia Surety, is for extended warranty. A 24 month coverage period would be very valuable. I had a family members phone brick after 2.5y, well outside of Amex coverage. The only option was out of warranty $300 or whatever Apple charged them. As the benefits changed on Citi cards may 2016 we should be getting field reports hopefully soon of people's experiences when filing for warranty reimb.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:25 pm

wow didnt know citi does 2 years! ive been putting all of my electronics purchases on my amex because i thought their extended warranty was good!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:52 am

AMEX SPG for extra one year warranty

Bought an Imac 27inch late 2015 model yesterday. I did not bother with the Apple Care to extend warranty to 3 years. I figured that AMEX SPG business card will cover for 2 years. Does this mean if I have problem with the computer my 2nd year, AMEX will pay for Apple care to solve the issue? Or/and does it mean that if something goes wrong in the 2nd year, AMEX will refund me the computer? If neither what does the 2nd year warranty entail?

Should I require reimbursement for the Imac within the warranty, would I have to prove that I used the computer for business since I bought it with the biz card?

Last edited by metoo; Aug 18, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:11 am

Two DPs.

Earlier in the year had a pair of Bose fail. Amex credited me the entire $350 or whatever it was. I was able to buy it cheaper from bose via out of warranty replacement plan.

I also had an iPhone fail. Amex made me get an estimate from Apple. Rep at the Apple Store quoted me an out of warranty replacement of $300+ for the 1.5y old phone (paid over $900). And this is what Amex credited me.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have never been asked for a repair estimate by Amex - they have always credited me the full purchase price before I have had a chance to send a repair estimate.
I used the extended warranty for a laptop that broke ... way back in 2006 ... AMEX had me get a repair estimate, and all sorts of paperwork, needed to show it wasn't covered by homeowners policy, etc ... AMEX eventually paid for the original price of the laptop, and the ~$50 repair estimate evaluation service
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Does this mean if I have problem with the computer my 2nd year, AMEX will pay for Apple care to solve the issue?

Yes.

>> Or/and does it mean that if something goes wrong in the 2nd year, AMEX will refund me the computer?

If it is un-repairable. And they most likely will ask you to ship the broken computer to a salvage company. Shipping will be reimbursed.

>> would I have to prove that I used the computer for business since I bought it with the biz card?

NO.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just a data point: my wife's apple watch failed this year, six months outside of warranty. Apple quoted $250 to fix; AMEX refunded entire purchase price

FDW
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've been asked a couple of times - once was when a laptop hdd died. I got a quote to replace the hdd and they refunded the entire purchase price.

Another time was very recent - red wine spilled on new white clothing. They asked for a repair estimate. I just threw it out
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of thelark's wine stained garment has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rotection.html
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:03 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I want to use the Extended Warranty from my Platinum card to get a new battery for my iPhone 6S. I've owned it since June 2016 and my battery is now under the 80% health that Apple considers replaceable under their own warranty.

Should I get an official diagnosis and quote from the Apple Store before filing my claim, or can I go ahead and file and then get the diagnosis and quote when/if requested by Amex's insurance company?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by C W
I want to use the Extended Warranty from my Platinum card to get a new battery for my iPhone 6S. I've owned it since June 2016 and my battery is now under the 80% health that Apple considers replaceable under their own warranty.

Should I get an official diagnosis and quote from the Apple Store before filing my claim, or can I go ahead and file and then get the diagnosis and quote when/if requested by Amex's insurance company?
I’d get a diagnosis. How would amex know the value of
The claim. Sans estimate they’d only reimburse full but they won’t for a full phone.

You can always put in a claim for the whole amount and see if they just rubber stamp it. If they come back asking for diagnosis then provide the letter. I’d file first before getting the letter in that case so it doesn’t seem like you sat on the letter and not shared w them
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Note that the extended warranty benefit excludes batteries:

Purchases Not Covered
The following purchases are not covered:
1. products covered by an unconditional satisfaction guarantee;
2. animals or living plants;
3. consumable or perishable items with extended or limited life spans (including, but not limited to; food, perfume, light bulbs, batteries);
4. motorized vehicles (including, but not limited to, passenger cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, airplanes) and their parts, subject to high risk, combustion, wear and tear or mileage stipulations (including, but not limited to, batteries, carburetors, pipes, hoses, pistons, brakes, tires, mufflers);
5. motorized devices and their parts used for agriculture, landscaping, demolition or construction;
6. motorized devices and their parts which are permanent additions or fixtures to a residential or commercial building unless the item can be removed without causing damage to the structure;
7. business fixtures, including, but not limited to, air conditioners, refrigerators, heaters and/or any item that cannot be removed without causing damage to the structure;
8. land or buildings;
9. more than one article in a pair or set. Coverage will be limited to no more than the value of any particular part or parts, unless the articles are unusable individually and cannot be replaced individually, regardless of any special value they may have had as part of a set or collection;
10. additional service contract or extended warranty coverage for a computer, computer component or part that You buy which already comes with an original United States of America, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands manufacturer’s and/or retailer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided and administered by the original manufacturer; and
11. items purchased for use as inventory, resale, professional, or commercial use (including but not limited to professional education, training or skills, or to be used in professional competition)
https://americanexpress.com/EWterms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.