Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Does anyone have recent experience with Amex in getting an extended warranty claim for their cell phone?

My only experience is for a $350 pair of headphones where Amex issued me a full statement credit

Do they do the same for cell phones? I've got
Hardware issues that would definitely be covered and
I am curious how Amex would handle this. Force me to repair does? Get an estimate for repair or give a credit for the full amount.

Mods pls move if there is a dedicated thread for Amex warranty. Much appreciated

Thanks!
What hardware issues?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
What hardware issues?
A hardware problem thet would be covered if the phone was within 12 months.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:48 pm

A hardware problem thet would be covered if the phone was within 12 months.
ok great but what hardware issues are you experiencing exactly? you would get some better response from FT'ers as to whether they think they are going to make you get a repair estimate or how to handle...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

ok great but what hardware issues are you experiencing exactly? you would get some better response from FT'ers as to whether they think they are going to make you get a repair estimate or how to handle...
defective camera
Awful battery life.

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:32 am

What's the process if Amex asks for an estimate? Do they then want you to pay for it before reimb or do they just issue a statement credit. I'm asking because I can still get salvage value for as trade in rather than paying for a fix on the existing phone

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If this is a familiar phone you may find that American Express knows more about it than you do. I would simply start the claims process and see what they request, then decide if it is worth your time.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:49 am

What's the process if Amex asks for an estimate? Do they then want you to pay for it before reimb or do they just issue a statement credit. I'm asking because I can still get salvage value for as trade in rather than paying for a fix on the existing phone

Thanks
you still havent elaborated as to the exact camera issues... is it completely broken? is there a manufacturer defect that is making it not work as well as you think it should?

some times you can get an estimate that says its not repairable or find something online stating as much
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:01 am

you still havent elaborated as to the exact camera issues... is it completely broken? is there a manufacturer defect that is making it not work as well as you think it should?

some times you can get an estimate that says its not repairable or find something online stating as much
Optical focus is broken. It actually makes a sound when it's trying to focus and the entire picture is distorted.

Amex asked me to get an estimate. At this point do I just go to Apple and see if they give me something they says it's beyond repair? Friend was out of Amex warranty (3y old phone) and Apple offered him to buy a refurb for $300-ish.

If Apple tells me that it's not an estimate, right? If it's technically beyond repair then I shd get the full amount from Amex and not a "replacement" value. Right ?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:47 am

Optical focus is broken. It actually makes a sound when it's trying to focus and the entire picture is distorted.

Amex asked me to get an estimate. At this point do I just go to Apple and see if they give me something they says it's beyond repair? Friend was out of Amex warranty (3y old phone) and Apple offered him to buy a refurb for $300-ish.

If Apple tells me that it's not an estimate, right? If it's technically beyond repair then I shd get the full amount from Amex and not a "replacement" value. Right ?
Sounds pretty simple... they said get a repair estimate... go to an apple store and see if they can do that. If not, see if they can print something saying it is not repairable.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:56 am

Sounds pretty simple... they said get a repair estimate... go to an apple store and see if they can do that. If not, see if they can print something saying it is not repairable.
Thank you! I'll do that. Hopefully Apple Store is fine with giving me something like that in writing. Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:07 pm

Thanks
I dont know if this answers your question. But here is my recent experience two weeks back.

I had a tablet that I got in August 2015 that came with the standard 1 yr warranty from Bestbuy. I paid 150 in total - 90 with Amex and 60 with Gift Card (i dont know what I was thinking paying with gift card). Fast Forward to last month, the tablet didn't work and didnt power up. I didn't have any receipts from Best Buy, just the fact that I bought from Bestbuy by browsing through my bestbuy order list on my bestbuy account and a charge on amex. So I submitted a claim for 150, not the 90$ I paid - because the claim form asked me how much the product is worth. 1 day later, I was reimbursed the whole 150, not the 90 I paid on Amex. I got an email saying my claim was closed and the credit was there..it was quick.

It might work in your favor, all you have to do is put in a claim and see. This is my first time using it and I was very happy to say the least.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

I'm guessing that Apple will give me the out of warranty "repair" of flat $300, which they list for everything but repair and screen. Thus the best I can do is get that cash back from Amex and get my phone fixed somewhere else. I can't find a path to getting the full new price reimbursed. Can anyone ?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:17 pm

I'm guessing that Apple will give me the out of warranty "repair" of flat $300, which they list for everything but repair and screen. Thus the best I can do is get that cash back from Amex and get my phone fixed somewhere else. I can't find a path to getting the full new price reimbursed. Can anyone ?
No one is going to give you the full purchase price of a year plus old phone. If that were the case... we would all be dropping our phones every time a new model comes out.

Amex will give you however much apple prints out. While they do expect you to actually get it repairs. Although I bet if you can manage to sell said phone and with the 300, its probably enough to buy a new one.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
No one is going to give you the full purchase price of a year plus old phone. If that were the case... we would all be dropping our phones every time a new model comes out.

Amex will give you however much apple prints out. While they do expect you to actually get it repairs. Although I bet if you can manage to sell said phone and with the 300, its probably enough to buy a new one.
that is not true. if he charged the full purchase price on the amex, amex deems it a valid claim and no repair can be made, he will get the full purchase price back. i had it happen to me on a device that would not turn on.

we dont drop our phones every time a new model comes out because that would be insurance fraud..
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:55 pm

So the store printed out an estimate of total phone replacement at $300 and change so that's what I'll submit to Amex. The phones Apple out of warranty sells to you are new and not refurbs.

And this leaves me the option of swapping the phone at Apple and paying $300, or holding onto the cash until upgrade time. Maybe I can get the camera replaced on my own at a third party. The phone camera is useless. Half the pic is blurry so you can't even deposit checks

Bose is great in this regard. For out of warranty replacement they give you the option to pay up for the newer model

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.