Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Note that the extended warranty benefit excludes batteries:

https://americanexpress.com/EWterms
This could
Be interpreted to mean standalone batteries.

the product is the phone and I’d let the OP get the diagnostic. “Phone dies shortly after recharging” would be my claim verbiage. It could be more than just the battery. I could be oveclocked CPU etc
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:38 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I’d get a diagnosis. How would amex know the value of
The claim. Sans estimate they’d only reimburse full but they won’t for a full phone.

You can always put in a claim for the whole amount and see if they just rubber stamp it. If they come back asking for diagnosis then provide the letter. I’d file first before getting the letter in that case so it doesn’t seem like you sat on the letter and not shared w them
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go ahead and file. If they need paperwork, I'll obtain it then. A rubberstamp would be great and save a Genius Bar appointment.

Originally Posted by mia
Note that the extended warranty benefit excludes batteries:

https://americanexpress.com/EWterms
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
This could
Be interpreted to mean standalone batteries.

the product is the phone and I’d let the OP get the diagnostic. “Phone dies shortly after recharging” would be my claim verbiage. It could be more than just the battery. I could be oveclocked CPU etc
Thanks for suggestion on the phrasing strategy. I also take the less-is-more strategy with these things.

Some responses in this thread seems to indicate that Amex has covered batteries that are part of larger electronic devices.

I think the key is that the battery is covered under Apple's original warranty, which is the general criteria for determining coverage of specific components of covered devices.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, my experience with the extended warranty was also good. Sony Vaio laptop battery would barely hold a charge after just about a year. Amex (Plat) told me to buy a new one and they credited me the amount of the purchase. It was a relatively painless process.
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I'd go through the "hassle" if I were you. Amex approved my claim and although Apple provided me an estimate of $80 to replace the battery, Amex just refunded the entire $199 + tax back to my card.

The only documentation they asked for was the original purchase receipt (from AT&T) and the statement showing the charge on the card.

Easiest claim ever.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:59 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Grrrrr. Now I'm trying to file the claim and once I click the final submit button I get this:

Sorry, the system is not responding, please try again or Contact Us if you need help
Anybody seen this before?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Amex Plat.
I bought an iPad on Amazon, 13 months ago, that no longer powers up. One month out of warranty, ugh.

I looked and I used my Amex for most of 5e purchase but also applied $25 of Amex points. Does Amex extended warranty apply or will they say the full purchase amount wasn’t put on the card?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Jkinghome
I bought an iPad on Amazon, 13 months ago, that no longer powers up. One month out of warranty, ugh.

I looked and I used my Amex for most of 5e purchase but also applied $25 of Amex points. Does Amex extended warranty apply or will they say the full purchase amount wasn’t put on the card?
Pretty sure its what you charged to the card. Had the same thing happen to an ipod way back when. They refunded the total amount I charged to the card in two business days IIRC
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
Pretty sure its what you charged to the card. Had the same thing happen to an ipod way back when. They refunded the total amount I charged to the card in two business days IIRC
They may also ask you for an estimate and apple’s out of warranty replacement could likely be less than what you paid for it
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:04 pm

Had a question - the computer i want to buy has a paid option for a 2 year manufacturers warranty (the default is 1 year included). If I pick the 2 year warranty, does that mean amex would cover the 3rd year?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bear in mind you need to keep the card open. You would do well to read the full document here.

Length of Coverage
Where a Loss has occurred during the Extended Warranty Period, We will provide a benefit equal to the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of up to five (5) years.

If the item is also covered by a purchased service contract, the Extended Warranty Period begins at the end of the purchased service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty for a period of time equal to the warranty, up to one (1) additional year.

If the combined coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceed five (5) years, the item purchased is not eligible for benefits under this Plan.

If the Card Member is notified that a warranty has ended for any reason (including, but not limited to, bankruptcy of the manufacturer or other responsible party), this Plan will continue to provide coverage, not to exceed the original manufacturer’s warranty up to one (1) year from the date the Card Member is notified of such event. The Card Member may be asked to provide proof of notification in the form of a public announcement or other official documentation.

Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this Plan.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by bizum
Had a question - the computer i want to buy has a paid option for a 2 year manufacturers warranty (the default is 1 year included). If I pick the 2 year warranty, does that mean amex would cover the 3rd year?
some cards now offer 2 years on top not just 1, may be something worth considering
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
some cards now offer 2 years on top not just 1, may be something worth considering
Problem is looking good on paper doesn't necessary translate to actual (pleasant) experience.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind you need to keep the card open. You would do well to read the full document here.
Thanks Mia & others.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I was wondering if the iphone has a crack does the warranty cover that? It was not a crack done by dropping, the iphone mysteriously cracked when using it
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I was wondering if the iphone has a crack does the warranty cover that? It was not a crack done by dropping, the iphone mysteriously cracked when using it
i don't think phone screens mysteriously crack unless dropped or subject to bending... you can try to submit a claim but you will probably have to get a quote for repair from apple first. if they write it was a defect or known issue then you may have luck but apple would probably cover it any way at that point?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Anyone know if "Open-Box" items are covered? There is a pre-owned and used exclusion, but nothing about Open-Box which could be considered pre-owned (and returned), or used (however briefly).
Want to bring this up again. I like to be thrifty when possible. Our old fridge crapped out late last night, went to local Sears store this mornging and they had "open box" Samsung fridge for $1050 vs "in box" $2300 since that is a screaming deal, I went with the open box one since that's almost 60% off. I declined the $400 extended warranty since I didn't see anything from Amex stating they would not cover anything in this event. Just seeing if anyone has any experience

EDIT: Used my US issued Platinum card
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DG206
Want to bring this up again. I like to be thrifty when possible. Our old fridge crapped out late last night, went to local Sears store this mornging and they had "open box" Samsung fridge for $1050 vs "in box" $2300 since that is a screaming deal, I went with the open box one since that's almost 60% off. I declined the $400 extended warranty since I didn't see anything from Amex stating they would not cover anything in this event. Just seeing if anyone has any experience

EDIT: Used my US issued Platinum card
How will amex know its open-box? What does the receipt say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.