Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by jsandler111
Has anyone had a recent experience with an extended warranty claim ? I filed a claim last month (related to my cell phone, purchased with my Platinum Card) and a day later received a letter acknowledging the claim and asking for documentation (which was only the purchase invoice), which I promptly provided. I called later that week to ask about how long the claim should take to process and was told that they are very busy right now, so while claims are usually resolved within 10 days, I should expected to hear within 30 days. Since I still didn't hear anything else, I called again at 31 days, at which point the representative I spoke to acknowledged that it had indeed been more than 30 days since they received the requested documentation and promised to have an answer for me this week.

If anyone else has filed an extended warranty claim recently, have you had a similar experience with how long it has taken?
Update for the record: I finally heard back about my claim (resolved in my favor) 35 days after submitting documentation.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:19 am

I'm being asked to submit a repair estimate form. Anyone know where I may find that form?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:19 am
TDV

Originally Posted by mr_rogers
I'm being asked to submit a repair estimate form. Anyone know where I may find that form?
AMEX is asking you to submit the repair estimate form that is completed by the manufacturer or repair center. You will need to submit that form and AMEX will review it for reimbursement.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I just opened a claim for son's Macbook with a hardware malfunction (screen/display is nearly unreadable). Generally speaking do they require a repair estimate? Or would a photograph of the display be sufficient? He went to Apple Genius Bar and no one gave him any documentation. He will have to go back, I imagine. Just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and have him make the appt preemptively to help speed things along. I assume he will need that documentation, but a few years ago I had a similar claim and they never asked for anything. Just credited my account.

Update: After I filed the claim, Amex sent a form the next day that has to be completed by the authorized repair tech. I'm sure similar documentation not on the precise form would be fine. It does say that Amex will pay for the diagnostic fee (if there is one) regardless of the claim outcome, which I thought was nice.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 29, 2022 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
For those who’ve emailed about the form, here is the bottom half. The top half was prefilled with name, address, date of purchase, claim number, etc. the Apple Genius Bar tech refused to complete it and provided their own documentation. It was mostly the same, but they didn’t separate out the costs and gave a tech number not a name. Submitted all the required documentation like this form and the receipt on 7/30. As of 8/4, no response or update. Claim is “open”.

mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:16 pm

Just filed a claim last week for a laptop that has a non-functioning screen. It's been about a week and I've received nothing. Wondering if that is normal? Also is communication usually via email/secure message, or via letter? Asking as I am away from home for probably a few more months, so that would create quite a hassle...
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by excinit
Just filed a claim last week for a laptop that has a non-functioning screen. It's been about a week and I've received nothing. Wondering if that is normal? Also is communication usually via email/secure message, or via letter? Asking as I am away from home for probably a few more months, so that would create quite a hassle...
I submitted the claim on 7/28 and got an email at 2AM on 7/29 with my claim info and request for documentation. It was from Extended Warranty Amex Assurance Co. On 7/30 I uploaded the requested documents. On 8/5 status was still “open” so I called to check on typical turn around time. 21 days was the answer. You can check the status online at www.Americanexpress.com/onlineclaim
excinit likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:49 pm

Thanks! I assumed they'd ask for documentation so wondering why I haven't gotten that email. Will call and check - claim still shows as "open"
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by excinit
Thanks! I assumed they'd ask for documentation so wondering why I haven't gotten that email. Will call and check - claim still shows as "open"
If it’s been more than a few days since you filed the claim, I’d check spam and then call. In my case, claim shows “open” even after submitting all documentation 9 days ago.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I submitted the claim on 7/28 and got an email at 2AM on 7/29 with my claim info and request for documentation. It was from Extended Warranty Amex Assurance Co. On 7/30 I uploaded the requested documents. On 8/5 status was still “open” so I called to check on typical turn around time. 21 days was the answer. You can check the status online at www.Americanexpress.com/onlineclaim
Thought I’d update. Claim status went to CLOSED 7/12 and a credit was issued to my Amex for the entire amount claimed for the repair of laptop (including the tax). I have not received an email though. But ultimately an easy process and fairly quick turnaround. Even got the laptop back from Apple in just 3 days.

Also FWIW, I am an AU on this card (laptop was purchased with this AU card). They do have the same benefit but thought I’d confirm that it worked easily.
MDtR-Chicago and DoctorORD like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: UA
MacBook having keyboard/trackpad hardware issues. Not accidental damage. Should I bring it to Apple and pay for the repair in advance with amex, and then submit the receipt? Or should I / do I need to await some kind of estimate first? I am within my Amex extended period and I know Apple would cover the repair if it was still under warranty with them. Asking because when I bring it in, Apple will want to mail it off somewhere to get it fixed. Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
For those who’ve emailed about the form, here is the bottom half. The top half was prefilled with name, address, date of purchase, claim number, etc. the Apple Genius Bar tech refused to complete it and provided their own documentation. It was mostly the same, but they didn’t separate out the costs and gave a tech number not a name. Submitted all the required documentation like this form and the receipt on 7/30. As of 8/4, no response or update. Claim is “open”.

so when you when to apple store they didn't sign the form but gave a seperate form with estimate for repair? did you need to make appointment at apple store

Last edited by happyvoid; Nov 3, 2022 at 3:49 pm Reason: error
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
For extended warranty claims what do I put for ITEM COST WITH TAXES(USD)? I only made a partial payment for my item with amex, do I put the amount on my receipt or do I put the actually amount charged to my amex card.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
so when you when to apple store they didn't sign the form but gave a seperate form with estimate for repair? did you need to make appointment at apple store
Apple did not sign form. I think I completed it myself and included Apple provided receipt/invoice for repair. Amex accepted it without issue. And yes I made an appt at Apple Genius Bar. In my city, you have to have an appt to be seen.

Originally Posted by happyvoid
For extended warranty claims what do I put for ITEM COST WITH TAXES(USD)? I only made a partial payment for my item with amex, do I put the amount on my receipt or do I put the actually amount charged to my amex card.
I think I’d just put total cost of item and taxes and include a note/comment explaining partial payment. However, there may be an exclusion if you didn’t pay in full with the Amex. See Amex extended warranty language to see if your purchase would be covered.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....may be an exclusion if you didn’t pay in full with the Amex. See Amex extended warranty language to see if your purchase would be covered.
The amount paid with the card is the maximum amount that the insurer will pay, but it does not preclude a claim.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.