Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
So for the Apple Genius bar, since they won't fill out the form, do I need to request an estimate by them? I need to ask them to provide a written estimate or do they provide one by default?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by happyvoid
So for the Apple Genius bar, since they won't fill out the form, do I need to request an estimate by them? I need to ask them to provide a written estimate or do they provide one by default?
Ask for it. They know folks have alternative warranty plans and are happy to provide the estimate. I did this again last week but for a Chase claim on AirPods. The employee didn’t automatically provide the repair estimate but did when I asked for it. No big deal for them.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I wish the online status check would show whether a claim was approved or denied. It just shows open or closed and can't tell from that until you receive or call in to check whether it is denied or approved
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:14 am

Hey guys, if I buy an iphone while traveling and charge with amex biz platinum, do I get the extended warranty too?
Also, If I pay the monthly Applecare subscription, do we also get extra 1 year extension?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got a dishwasher that is in its 2nd year so within the Amex extended warranty time. The piece of plastic that covers the control panel popped off (the little teeth that attach it did but I have no idea how). This is apparently a known problem that many folks have had. It's definitely not wear and tear.

Anyway, we ordered a replacement part for $30 thinking we'd just snap it back on. But it's not that simple and apparently requires taking the door off, etc. This is not something I want to deal with largely bc it is a royal PITA to work on this dishwasher bc of how it is installed in our cabinets. Would definitely want a repair person to do it.

Is this something Amex would cover? If so, do I just need to submit a claim for the part cost and an estimate for the repair? I don't know if I could actually get an estimate without someone coming out to the house to look at it (and then I'd have to pay them with no assurance that Amex would cover it). My alternative is to live with it taped. lol
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is this something Amex would cover? ....
Would the original warranty have covered both parts and labor?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Would the original warranty have covered both parts and labor?
Excellent question. I should have thought of this. I am not sure though. It’s not wear and tear. Seems to be a manufacturing issue. I’m not sure that I’d be able to determine if the GE warranty would cover it. I will look for the documentation and see.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjbowd
Hey guys, if I buy an iphone while traveling and charge with amex biz platinum, do I get the extended warranty too?
Also, If I pay the monthly Applecare subscription, do we also get extra 1 year extension?
You get the extended warranty.

If you pay your cell bill with the Amex you also get $800 damage/lost/stolen coverage.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

It hasn't been pretty, but AMEX is going to honor the extended warranty on my Apple computer. I bought the computer 16 months ago. It came with a one year warranty. I charged it to my AMEX Gold Biz card in order to get an extended one year warranty. At the 16 month mark, the screen developed a broad faded band on one side making it near impossible to read the screen. I took it to the Apple store who diagnosed it as requiring a new screen. They kept the computer to ship it off for repair. I got it back in two days, fully repaired.

Then began my saga of submitting my claim. I followed the link on the AMEX site. I had kept good documentation and knew when I purchased it. I submitted that info to Apple along with the warranty repair charge, all on the same AMEX card. AMEX sent back a list of everything I needed to submit. This included 4 pages that I had to fill out of what I had purchased, along with a lot of info including:

- purchase order
- shipping information
- Genius Bar work authorization
- Apple Care Service summary
- cost for Apple Care
All in all, I submitted 13 .pdf forms.

I then got a letter saying I also needed to submit
- itemized store receipt
- repair estimate form including signature by store employee

I had already submitted the itemized store receipt which was in an email, standard for something purchased online. I went back to the Apple store and found the employee who had done the analysis. He said that Apple does not want employees to sign the AMEX form and that the form he had given me would stand up in court. I then sent AMEX a letter with this information.

At this point, I canceled my credit card as I needed to do so or face having to pay another annual fee. I decided that since I had put the repair cost on the same card as I had purchased the computer, I did not need to keep the credit card open.

3 weeks went by with no word. I was beginning to consider whether I needed to take AMEX to small claims court. But no, I received a letter saying that the claim has been approved for payment. A check is to be sent to me. In the end, all is good, but the process seemed arduous and tedious.
Old May 15, 2023, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
- cost for Apple Care
What was the dollar value of the claim?
Old May 15, 2023, 6:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mia
What was the dollar value of the claim?
$472.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It hasn't been pretty, but AMEX is going to honor the extended warranty on my Apple computer. I bought the computer 16 months ago. It came with a one year warranty. I charged it to my AMEX Gold Biz card in order to get an extended one year warranty. At the 16 month mark, the screen developed a broad faded band on one side making it near impossible to read the screen. I took it to the Apple store who diagnosed it as requiring a new screen. They kept the computer to ship it off for repair. I got it back in two days, fully repaired.

Then began my saga of submitting my claim. I followed the link on the AMEX site. I had kept good documentation and knew when I purchased it. I submitted that info to Apple along with the warranty repair charge, all on the same AMEX card. AMEX sent back a list of everything I needed to submit. This included 4 pages that I had to fill out of what I had purchased, along with a lot of info including:

- purchase order
- shipping information
- Genius Bar work authorization
- Apple Care Service summary
- cost for Apple Care
All in all, I submitted 13 .pdf forms.

I then got a letter saying I also needed to submit
- itemized store receipt
- repair estimate form including signature by store employee

I had already submitted the itemized store receipt which was in an email, standard for something purchased online. I went back to the Apple store and found the employee who had done the analysis. He said that Apple does not want employees to sign the AMEX form and that the form he had given me would stand up in court. I then sent AMEX a letter with this information.

At this point, I canceled my credit card as I needed to do so or face having to pay another annual fee. I decided that since I had put the repair cost on the same card as I had purchased the computer, I did not need to keep the credit card open.

3 weeks went by with no word. I was beginning to consider whether I needed to take AMEX to small claims court. But no, I received a letter saying that the claim has been approved for payment. A check is to be sent to me. In the end, all is good, but the process seemed arduous and tedious.
This seems pretty typical in terms of documentation. I’ve had to send all that for a laptop screen repair. And same as your experience, Apple didn’t want to sign Amex form. Amex didn’t fuss with me about the form Apple provided.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:02 pm

Anyone have experience with a claim on a cancelled card? Still have other Amex cards with extended warranty, just not the one the purchase was made on.

The policy doc is about clear as mud, but my reading of the following is that the coverage should still be valid.

Originally Posted by Amex Extended Warranty Policy
C. Cancellation/Benefit End Date

1. We may cancel these benefits at any time by providing notice to You; or
2. Benefits will end automatically on the earliest of the following:
a. the date when the Eligible Card is cancelled or terminated; and/or
b. the date when You are no longer a Card Member.

Are benefits still eligible when the Card Account is no longer active?

Yes, if the Eligible Payment is made for a Covered Purchase prior to the effective date of the benefit cancellation
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:39 am

Buying open box MacBook Pro from Best Buy, will that be covered in future as part of extended warranty protection if something to happen in future?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:54 am

Just filed an extended warranty claim for a laptop and wondering if anyone has recent experience with claims processing time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.