FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2023, 4:59 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

It hasn't been pretty, but AMEX is going to honor the extended warranty on my Apple computer. I bought the computer 16 months ago. It came with a one year warranty. I charged it to my AMEX Gold Biz card in order to get an extended one year warranty. At the 16 month mark, the screen developed a broad faded band on one side making it near impossible to read the screen. I took it to the Apple store who diagnosed it as requiring a new screen. They kept the computer to ship it off for repair. I got it back in two days, fully repaired.

Then began my saga of submitting my claim. I followed the link on the AMEX site. I had kept good documentation and knew when I purchased it. I submitted that info to Apple along with the warranty repair charge, all on the same AMEX card. AMEX sent back a list of everything I needed to submit. This included 4 pages that I had to fill out of what I had purchased, along with a lot of info including:

- purchase order
- shipping information
- Genius Bar work authorization
- Apple Care Service summary
- cost for Apple Care
All in all, I submitted 13 .pdf forms.

I then got a letter saying I also needed to submit
- itemized store receipt
- repair estimate form including signature by store employee

I had already submitted the itemized store receipt which was in an email, standard for something purchased online. I went back to the Apple store and found the employee who had done the analysis. He said that Apple does not want employees to sign the AMEX form and that the form he had given me would stand up in court. I then sent AMEX a letter with this information.

At this point, I canceled my credit card as I needed to do so or face having to pay another annual fee. I decided that since I had put the repair cost on the same card as I had purchased the computer, I did not need to keep the credit card open.

3 weeks went by with no word. I was beginning to consider whether I needed to take AMEX to small claims court. But no, I received a letter saying that the claim has been approved for payment. A check is to be sent to me. In the end, all is good, but the process seemed arduous and tedious.