Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Managed to purchase an Iphone X with my amex platinum. The apple care warranty for 2nd year is now over 200 bucks when you include taxes. Do you think its safe enough to rely on the Amex extended warranty?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Managed to purchase an Iphone X with my amex platinum. The apple care warranty for 2nd year is now over 200 bucks when you include taxes. Do you think its safe enough to rely on the Amex extended warranty?
read the coverage that both offer. i am pretty sure there are differences. extended warranty from amex is not the same as apple care. i.e. check accidental coverage for screen cracks, spills, etc
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysterym
read the coverage that both offer. i am pretty sure there are differences. extended warranty from amex is not the same as apple care. i.e. check accidental coverage for screen cracks, spills, etc
Off the top of my head, Apple Care does cover accidents, but has the $99 (?) deductible. And I think much of that first year you pay for Apple Pay is "wasted" since you have the original 1-year warranty with the device (though not for accidents IIRC).

If you don't want/need the coverage for accidental damage (and theft I think too?) then I believe you're better off with Original warranty + Amex, for 2 years of coverage. That said, it seems that if you purchase Apple Care for 2 years, you'll get that 3rd year of coverage from Amex, and arguably that's when things are more likely to go downhill with the device.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:18 pm

The Amex extended warranty does not cover accidental damage. However, the new Uber Card (no fee) from Barclays covers accidental damage and theft. It becomes active on all phones that you use with your cell phone plan once you start paying your cell phone bill with the card - subject to a $25 deductible.

The Uber card also has extended warranty, but I don't know if it is as hassle-free as the Amex extended warranty. So I would buy my phone with Amex for the extended warranty, and pay my bill with the Uber card for the damage and theft protection.

Here's a link to the terms and conditions of the Uber Cell Phone protection: https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...AL.pdf#page=20

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Off the top of my head, Apple Care does cover accidents, but has the $99 (?) deductible. And I think much of that first year you pay for Apple Pay is "wasted" since you have the original 1-year warranty with the device (though not for accidents IIRC).

If you don't want/need the coverage for accidental damage (and theft I think too?) then I believe you're better off with Original warranty + Amex, for 2 years of coverage. That said, it seems that if you purchase Apple Care for 2 years, you'll get that 3rd year of coverage from Amex, and arguably that's when things are more likely to go downhill with the device.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
HAs anyone made an extended warranty claim on a major appliance such as a washer, dryer or refrigerator?

Just received an offer from Electrolux to buy an extended warranty, but I am thinking that I can pass on this for at least another year if AMEX provides decent coverage.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just received an offer from Electrolux to buy an extended warranty, but I am thinking that I can pass on this for at least another year if AMEX provides decent coverage.
How long and how much?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:14 am

HAs anyone made an extended warranty claim on a major appliance such as a washer, dryer or refrigerator?

They also stack. You can get the extended warranty, THEN the Amex warranty kicks in.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

I was just browsing this thread in search of something else, but happened to read a report about someone collecting $850 in repairs on a $1400 (IIRC) refrigerator. I think the post was from 2014.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by garykung
How long and how much?
I bought a ~$6k TV and had a back light go out. Was actually during the OEM warranty but Samsung was giving some excuse about shipping damage (which is BS - the set was delivered and installed by Best Buy with everything working for a month afterward).

I called Amex and they took the claim and gave me the name of an authorised repair shop. I had to send Amex the response from Samsung saying they would not cover it. Tech came out, did some paperwork on the problem, and then came back and replaced the panel a couple weeks later. Bill went straight to Amex and that was the last I heard of it. Not sure if this was extended warranty or purchase protection, but I was happy with the outcome.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gooselee
I bought a ~$6k TV and had a back light go out. Was actually during the OEM warranty but Samsung was giving some excuse about shipping damage (which is BS - the set was delivered and installed by Best Buy with everything working for a month afterward).
IME - Samsung is always bad in warranty. In your situation, Samsung could have been violated the Magnuson-Moss Act, as well as any state protection you may have.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Not sure if this was extended warranty or purchase protection, but I was happy with the outcome.
Within 90 days of purchase? Purchase protection. Extended warranty if otherwise.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by garykung
IME - Samsung is always bad in warranty. In your situation, Samsung could have been violated the Magnuson-Moss Act, as well as any state protection you may have.

Within 90 days of purchase? Purchase protection. Extended warranty if otherwise.
Yeah, Samsung was definitely not helpful. But in any case, the point is I was very happy with how Amex handled things. Enough that I make a point to put large purchases like that on my Amex Plat even if other cards might have slightly better rewards.

That one incident likely saved me hundreds or thousands of dollars, and/or a significant headache trying to deal with Samsung.
Statman likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:48 pm

Samsung warranty service is unbelievably bad and known liars. Definitely can’t count on them.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:11 am

Sony is bad too. I will never ever buy a Sony product ever again.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:07 pm

Does anyone know how the new 2 year warranty extension works when combined with manufacturer extended warranties? For instance, does buying Apple Care for a new MacBook Pro go from 3+1 to 3+2? Or is it 3+1 since the original non-extended warranty was 1 year? The new verbiage says Original Manufactuers Warranty, but the full terms aren't yet published as they go into effect on 8/1/2018. I also haven't seen any discussion on the Purchase Protection extension from 90 to 120 days.

Extended Warranty

Extended Warranty is provided to You as a benefit of Card Membership at no additional charge when a purchase is made with Your eligible Card. For claims submitted to Us on and after August 1, 2018, one of the following will occur:

• If the original manufacturer's warranty is less than two (2) years*, We will match the length of that warranty.

• If the original manufacturer's warranty is between two (2) and five (5) years*, We will increase coverage to provide two (2) additional years of warranty.

The benefit is limited to the actual amount charged to Your Card for the item, up to a maximum of $10,000; not to exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year.

*For residents of Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Northern Mariana Islands, Your coverage will continue to match the original warranty period for warranties of less than one (1) year or provide one (1) additional year if the warranty is between one (1) and five (5) years.
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
They also stack. You can get the extended warranty, THEN the Amex warranty kicks in.
The Base + Extended warranty can't exceed 5 years though. So keep that in mind...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:32 pm

Is it safe to assume AMEX Plat's warranty protection is better than chase sapphire reserve?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.