Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC, CX Gold, SPG Gold
It may also depend on the International Airlines Program that you have on your card. For the Canadian Plat, I've been quoted discounted fares for business class CX for example.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Homerclees
It may also depend on the International Airlines Program that you have on your card. For the Canadian Plat, I've been quoted discounted fares for business class CX for example.
Now you mention it, AMEX Canada (PTS) can offer 5~10%(??) discount on WestJet flights also. I wish they have a public list of discounts
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:08 pm

Regarding Dimestic:

No hey don't, they charge the same price as if you went direct to the airline except they add a $6.99 fee for every ticket you buy through them.

Regarding international flights, I haven't tried to book one so I can't say.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:49 pm

I've been pleasantly surprised with their rates for inter-EU and EU-UK flights. In my experience they have always been slightly lower than the airlines' posted prices. I can't speak for any flights originating or within the US.

Edited to add: I have a US based Amex Plat.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:46 am

travel AmEx website

I tried to book a trip through Amex website and I noticed it is not possible to start a new search without not finishing an old search. System forces me to make a payment before starting a new search. Even when I logged out, closed the browser, logged in again your system will still remember an old search and force me to finish it. When I pressed GO BACK button an error occurred.
This happens all the time – not just today.

1. Try to book a flight
2. Select one flight you want to book
3. now you changed your mind and lets say – you want to book a hotel (not a flight) – try it
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:11 am

Are you sure? After making a dummy flight booking, I can easily make a dummy hotel booking. What browser are you using?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:19 am

and what website are you using? should provide the URL

I'm Canadian and there's one for Canada, and certainly one for USA AMEX
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
and what website are you using? should provide the URL

I'm Canadian and there's one for Canada, and certainly one for USA AMEX
I am using Platinum | American Express® UK and firefox.
I checked it on two computers (in two different places) - still the same problem
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:46 pm

Anyone have problems booking multiple legs on the amex travel site? It shows up correctly, I click on to purchase, but it says error. Oh then if I wait a couple of days, it'll work. But then the next time I try to book multiple legs, same thing, it has a mind of its own.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jul 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm Reason: ETA
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:10 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
I'm surprised not reading of more problems with the Amex Travel site. Besides the frequent "Internal Server Errors" I encountered quite a serious security flaw:

When logging in with my (European) Amex account then go and lookup a flight or hotel the cardholders name appearing on the upper left is just some random person. I can even see that persons MR points balance. I could even go and create a booking--which of course I did not confirm at the end. So I don't know if it would have actually billed someone elses MR account. The problem exists for at least three weeks already.

Unfortunately it's quite difficult to contact someone at Amex that understands what I'm talking about. In fact it's complicated to contact Amex Travel at all. One international customer service number I found on the site for "Questions regarding the website" is running a tape saying it's no longer in service.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
AMEX Travel Booking

Hi everyone,

I am trying to book MFM-BKK ticket using the AMEX Travel website, but in the FFP section, I can only key in Thai Airway's FFP, not other *A FFP (I want to put my A3 FFP#), anyone else having the same problem?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:17 pm

Amex Travel Canada Website less then 1/2 ...

My better half and I are headed to Vegas in Nov for a few days. I was perusing the Amex Canada website and found a great price at the Four Seasons. I called up Amex Travel and the lowest price they could offer me was over double the website price. To clarify I'm not referring to the FHR pricing. That was even more which is sometimes worth it. Its not like I'm comparing apples and oranges...priceline and amex. Isn't amex travel ....amex travel?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:05 pm

I assume you're talking about this one?
American Express Travel - Canada
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/travel/arc.cfm?tab=h

Can you just book it via online then, without using the agent?

Unless you're trying to use the $200 annual credit from AMEX Platinum, there is no reason to use AMEX Travel even
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:07 pm

That is exactly it. I was hoping to use the credit on this trip. I do use them for FHR as up north we cannot book FHR online.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:31 pm

Get AMEX PTS to book "refundable" reservation, AMEX will credit you $200 right away
You can call hotel to cancel it later, essentially getting the $200 credit
Then you can book on your own anywhere

Or..just save it for something else then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.