Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Does one still earn hotel points when booking through Amex Travel site?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by andreiz
Does one still earn hotel points when booking through Amex Travel site?
Most hotel chains will not award points or recognize status on prepaid stays booked through any site other than their own. If you merely book online and pay at the hotel there is variation. I suggest you search in the Flyertalk forum of the specific hotel chains which you frequent. It is a common question, and the answer will be the same for a booking made through Expedia, Travelocity, or American Express, but not for bookings made through the FHR program.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, you will receive a total of 4 points per dollar, but will also pay a booking fee. Discussed in the primary Premier Rewards Gold thread, start reading at about post 85 and continue to about post 161.
Originally Posted by mia
In the case where you book only flights the transaction is very likely to be billed by an airline, and you should earn four points per dollar.

In the case where you book a package I think it is likely to be billed by someone other than an airline. It may be a tour company owned by an airline with a similar name, but if the merchant isn't classified as an airline it should not qualify the Premier Rewards Gold bonus.
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
I don't see an actual answer in regards to the original question.

Do you receive 5x points for purchasing airline tickets thru Amex Travel when using your Premier Rewards Gold Card based on 3x from the card and 2x for booking thru Amex?
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Based on my understanding of how Amex reports their multipliers, 3x is the total points, so that includes the base. So, for 3x on airfare, you get 2 additional points per dollar. With 2x using Amex Travel, you get one additional. So, using Amex Travel for airfare, you should get 4x.
Originally Posted by Moody Blues
I just received this card 2 weeks ago and have booked 5RT flights through the AMEX travel site thinking I am racking up points. I was just on the phone with MR and the fellow tells me I am only getting credit for 2X points through the Amex travel site vs 3X points i could be getting booking directly though the airline or with a site like Travelocity.

Can someone shed some light on this topic?

OK - I have had the SAME above questions for the longest time!!!

(Also I have been confused abot the dumb way MR points post on my account a month or two later after my statement is paid which compounds my above confusion.)

So I did a test - and IF I am right I do not like the results!!!
If I am wrong I know you wll correct me.

Test Purpose:
To see if booking on Amex travel site while using the Premier Rewards Gold card earns extra points.
.i.e are these bonuses stackable??? 3x pts + 2x pts

Step one: I started with a completely zero balanced Premier Rewards Gold card.

Step two: on 01/25/2012 I booked a ticket for a total of on $378.69

Breakdown is as follows:
$330.00 Fare
$48.69 taxes
$6.99 booking fee
$378.69 total
(On my statement it is listed as Amex Travel online $371.70 & Amex Travel online $6.99)

Here is where it starts to get interesting:

Step three: On 01/28/2012 I earned in my MR rewards account (and I do literally quote) "Earned 3x on Airfare 744"

How did we get 744 when I charged $378.69?

I figured out the breakdown is $371.70x2 (fare + taxes & fees - less $6.99 booking fee = $371.70) or $372x2 = 744 points for booking online.

So now Step four: Don't book anything else on the card for two months.

Step five:
Here is where it get's dissappointing:

Today (03/24/2012) my statement posts as it has closed.

I got 379 MR points!!!!! NOT anymore for putting it on the card!!!!!!!!!!!!

Test Result:

So I got 744 -for using their engine
and I got 379 - for using their card
Total 1123 MR Points

Show me where the 2x + the 3x points is please!?!?!?!?!

My conclusion is this:

YES you get 2x points for using their booking engine
YES you get 3x points for using their Premier Rewards Card
BUTTTTTTTTTT NOOOOOOOO you cannot stack both of them!!!

Why?
Because I believe they have "coded" their travel site NOT to be considered a airline if you use the Premier Rewards Card.

So you do get 2x pts but NOT with 3x for using their card!!!

Please show me where I am wrong....as I really wanted to earn more MR points.

I guess I will do the same test with my Chase Sapphire & (new) iNK Bold cards!!!!

.....And yes I do have too much time on my hands.....
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:33 pm
mia

Originally Posted by tasnam
(On my statement it is listed as Amex Travel online $371.70 & Amex Travel online $6.99)
This is the problem in your example. The $371.70 transaction is not billed by an airline, therefore no Premier Rewards Gold bonus. This is not typical of the way airline tickets are processed. Which carrier did you book, and was the ticket bundled with anything else?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is the problem in your example. The $371.70 transaction is not billed by an airline, therefore no Premier Rewards Gold bonus. This is not typical of the way airline tickets are processed. Which carrier did you book, and was the ticket bundled with anything else?

Mia,

I understand that...
...but the test was to see if it was stackable (3x + 2x).

I am 100% certain when I have booked on Orbitz the "airline" books the ticket so YES from that site you get 3X points for using the card. (but no 2x Amex online bonus of course)

So when booking on Amex - since it is NOT charged (hence coded) by the airline - it does not count as an airline purchase; so no 3x card charge bonus (on top of online 2x)

So my whole point is you cannot stack 3x card + 2x Amex Online.
(which many of us had wondered about for a long time)

If fact (if you want to split hairs) you lose $6.99x2 for using the Amex site as they do not double that fee.

.....USAirways (not by choice)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:54 pm
mia

So when booking on Amex - since it is NOT charged (hence coded) by the airline - it does not count as an airline purchase;
While this is true in your example, it has not been the general practice. American Express travel is operated by Travelocity, and airline tickets purchased are normally billed by the airline rather than the agency. The only reason I can think that Travelocity would take the billing is that they owned seat inventory purchased at a discount, as happens when buying prepaid hotel stays.

In any event, we are in agreement that americanexpress.com/travel is to be avoided for several reasons.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
While this is true in your example, it has not been the general practice. American Express travel is operated by Travelocity, and airline tickets purchased are normally billed by the airline rather than the agency. The only reason I can think that Travelocity would take the billing is that they owned seat inventory purchased at a discount, as happens when buying prepaid hotel stays.

In any event, we are in agreement that americanexpress.com/travel is to be avoided for several reasons.
Also I would raise this question:
("IF" Travelocity is owned by Amex)

When booking through Amex>{Travelocity site} > does Amex "remove" the airline "coding"

vs.

when booking www.>directly to Travelocity site Amex (or Travelocity for that matter) "Leaves IN" the "airline coding"?

Last edited by tasnam; Mar 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:08 pm
mia

Travelocity is not owned by American Express. American Express has outsourced the operation of this specific travel booking site and Travelocity happens to have the contract. We would need reports from many members to know if they have changed the way airline ticket transactions are billed, but I doubt it because it would tie up a substantial amount of cash.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Travelocity is not owned by American Express. American Express has outsourced the operation of this specific travel booking site and Travelocity happens to have the contract. We would need reports from many members to know if they have changed the way airline ticket transactions are billed, but I doubt it because it would tie up a substantial amount of cash.

Regardless....my test (in this case) that booking through Amex does not allow for stacking MR points from card and the site bonus.

Can anyone else confirm or disprove that they can stack the 2x site bonus with the 3x PR card bonus?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:42 pm
mia

Re-reading your original post I believe my previous replies were incorrect. You have already received the two bonus points per dollar for purchasing airfare with a Premier Rewards Gold card. You have not yet received the one point per dollar bonus for booking through americanexpress.com/travel.

It appears that you are expecting a total of five points per dollar, but it is only four:

1 base point for spending a dollar
2 bonus points for buying airfare
1 bonus point for using the portal
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Re-reading your original post I believe my previous replies were incorrect. You have already received the two bonus points per dollar for purchasing airfare with a Premier Rewards Gold card. You have not yet received the one point per dollar bonus for booking through americanexpress.com/travel.

It appears that you are expecting a total of five points per dollar, but it is only four:

1 base point for spending a dollar
2 bonus points for buying airfare
1 bonus point for using the portal

You are incorrect yet again.

I received my 2x points for the AMEX online booking site in a few days of the actual booking.

Then two months later (after billing cycle) I got one (1) point in my account statement for using my PR card.

Remember I also have not used this card for any onther purposes since the beginning of the year.....
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:01 pm
mia

americanexpress.com/travel awards only one bonus point per dollar. When American Expresss says "double points" they mean one bonus point.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
americanexpress.com/travel awards only one bonus point per dollar. When American Expresss says "double points" they mean one bonus point.

Yes.....and.....you cannot earn triple (1pt for charge + 2pt for airline bonus) from using your Premier Rewards Card.

Again:

1pt for AMEX Travel online + 1 Bonus point (for using AMEX Travel online)

+

1pt for using AMEX Premier Rewards card

=

3 Total points ONLY in total for airfare purchases

NOT 4 or 5 points as many of us had hoped /wondered /thought
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:38 am
mia

Again:

1pt for AMEX Travel online + 1 Bonus point (for using AMEX Travel
This is the misunderstanding. There is one, and only one, point awarded for booking through americanexpress.com/travel. Not 1 plus 1.

1 base point for spending $1 on the card, you have received this
2 bonus points for the PRG airline category bonus, you have received this
1 bonus point for using the booking portal, you have not yet rceived this. It posts 10-12 weeks after booking.

When American Express says that PRG awards 3X points for airline tickets they mean the one base point plus two bonus points. Likewise, when American Express says double points for booking through their travel portal they mean the same base point plus one bonus point. You will receive one more point per dollar for a total of four.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is the misunderstanding. There is one, and only one, point awarded for booking through americanexpress.com/travel. Not 1 plus 1.

1 base point for spending $1 on the card, you have received this
2 bonus points for the PRG airline category bonus, you have received this
1 bonus point for using the booking portal, you have not yet rceived this. It posts 10-12 weeks after booking.

When American Express says that PRG awards 3X points for airline tickets they mean the one base point plus two bonus points. Likewise, when American Express says double points for booking through their travel portal they mean the same base point plus one bonus point. You will receive one more point per dollar for a total of four.

Mia,

I believe you are incorrect again on this.

When using the AMEX online travel booking portal you do NOT get the triple points when using it inconjuction with using the PR Amex card on the card itself.

You ONLY get 1 + 1 pt from booking through the AMEX portal.
AND you get 1 pt for using the PR AMEX card.

I am not sure how else I can explain this for you to realize it is an EITHER-OR situation.

Either you use the AMEX portal w/the AMEX PR card and do NOT get the bonus on the card for using the PR card

OR you book from an airline and get the PR Card bonus but you do NOT get the AMEX Portal bonus.

Make sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.