Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I understand what you think has happened, but the transaction is not finished. See below the terms of the booking portal offer and note that the bonus points will post 10-12 weeks after payment is made. You purchased the ticket on 1.25.2012. One additional point per dollar should post next month. If it does not I would contact Customer Service via the website Secure Messaging facility and reference Bonus ID 3218.

1. To be eligible to earn double points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program ("Program") at the time of purchase and you must charge your air, Lowest Rates Guaranteed hotel, Complete Trip (flight + hotel packages), American Express® Vacations package and cruise reservations on an eligible, enrolled American Express® Card through www.americanexpress.com/travel. Any portion of a charge that you elect to pay through redemption of Membership Rewards points is not eligible to earn points. Bonus ID 3218 (Air, Hotel, and Complete Trip); Bonus ID 5432 (Cruise); Bonus ID 6955 (American Express Vacations Packages). Bonus points will be credited to your program account 10–12 weeks after final payment has been made. Some American Express Cards are not eligible for enrollment in the program. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. For more information on the Membership Rewards program, visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276). Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by mia
I understand what you think has happened, but the transaction is not finished. See below the terms of the booking portal offer and note that the bonus points will post 10-12 weeks after payment is made. You purchased the ticket on 1.25.2012. One additional point per dollar should post next month. If it does not I would contact Customer Service via the website Secure Messaging facility and reference Bonus ID 3218.

Geez this is getting tiresome - you must have not read my post(s) very carefully....

Re-read STEP 3 - the online booking points (YES the bonus!!!) posted already!!!
(Two points in total) - there are NO more to be earned for booking online (No not 10-12 weeks later) as I already got them.

The 3X pts for airfare on the card has come and gone in my statement (two cycles). only one point for the charge for Amex online travel services (No, It does not count as airfare - but as travel services)

Please re-read my thread closely

Couple of other side notes -
even though this was a test on an empty card over a two+ month period, it is not as if I have never bought online at Amex before....I was testing the "stacking of bonus points"

Can anyone else chime in with their observations of this thread?
I no longer know any other way to express this situation..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:30 am
mia

The 744 points that you received on 1.28.2012 are the bonus points for using a Premier Rewards Gold card to purchase airfare. This is evident from the description "Earned 3x on Airfare 744" and from the amount which is exactly correct for the PRG bonus. These points were not awarded for using americanexpress.com/travel.

The 379 points that you received on 3.24.2012 are the base points for spending $379 on an American Express card.

You have not yet received any points for using the booking portal. As per the terms these points will post 10-12 weeks after the transaction. You should receive 372 additional points.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by tasnam
Can anyone else chime in with their observations of this thread?
Quick question, do you have any points in pending?

You said the statement closed, you already had a 2X post pre-closing. Then upon closing you had the 1X post. Typically from what I've seen and yours may be different, is that it takes two cycles for the pending to post to the account unless they are requested to be accellerated. If you have had the previous 2X+1X already post as available MR points but you also show a pending, you will also be getting that pending amount as well.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Extra point when booking travel through amex travel

Hi all,
Just have a quick question, did PRG card get any extra point when booking through amex travel? I know the card already give me 3x point on airfare, any extra points would be fantastic.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:44 am
mia

Moderator action

Please review the preceding discussion. Short answer: the bonus point awarded by the travel site operator is separate from, and in addition to, any card-specific bonus. However, the timeframe in which the various bonuses are posted, and the cryptic descriptions, make it difficult to reconcile. There are also other drawbacks to booking through the site.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Please review the preceding discussion. Short answer: the bonus point awarded by the travel site operator is separate from, and in addition to, any card-specific bonus. However, the timeframe in which the various bonuses are posted, and the cryptic descriptions, make it difficult to reconcile. There are also other drawbacks to booking through the site.
Thanks MIA, tasnam was not in this thread since March, wonder whether he got another 372 point for portal booking.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:08 pm
mia

It appears that we can earn a small additional reward when booking through americanexpress.com/travel by starting at the Virgin Atlantic (100 miles per booking) or Jet Blue (25 points) online shopping portal. I believe you must login to your VS Flying Club account to view this link:

http://shop.virgin-atlantic.com/info...travel/afsrc=1

(If you are not a VS flyer this may still be of interest because VS converts to HHonors 1:2.)
Old May 27, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: My travel agent
Hi,

I came from here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18647707-post3.html

First question: is it worth booking on the AMEX USA Travel web site for $10 more than on the airline web site with a Visa/MasterCard? Do I get any AMEX protection with that?

Or is it the basic rule that it is always best to book with the airline's web site? (Then it's easier to change flights or dispute later on.)

Second question: sure, you don't get double points with the IDC card on AMEX USA web site as IDC belongs to AMEX UK. But do you get double miles with the IDC card when booking through AMEX UK? Anyways, there's conversion fees. Not worth it.

Can you book travel insurance with AMEX USA? I made a dummy booking but couldn't find the option.

Last edited by mia; May 27, 2012 at 8:22 am
Old May 27, 2012, 8:21 am
mia

American Express sells travel insurance in the USA, but because insurance is a state regulated business it may not be available if you reside in another country.

https://www.globaltravelshield.com/r...TS1004FP02.jsp
Old May 27, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: My travel agent
Originally Posted by mia
American Express sells travel insurance in the USA, but because insurance is a state regulated business it may not be available if you reside in another country.

https://www.globaltravelshield.com/r...TS1004FP02.jsp
Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Booking with MRPoints - now $100 fee?

i want to use membership rewards points to pay for an international air ticket. checking the prices on amex webseite, i noticed that the revenue value of that ticket is about 100 usd more than that what the airline (in this case Delta) wants on its own webseite. i checked several other international trips and it was always about 100 usd more. so I am asking myself: have they imposed a 100 usd fee for international tickets? if so, membership rewards points are loosing even more value....

(it used to be a 7 usd fee for domestic and a 10 usd fee for international travel)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:10 pm

I used membership rewards to pay for a ticket last week from Malaga to London, and they charged me $10.99 in a separate charge, I assume that's a booking fee. However, I don't remember seeing that, and I'm having a hard time locating any booking fees mentioned at their site.

I have used them before, and they always charged a booking fee. But its been a couple of years, and was hoping they changed their ways in this world of internet flight bookings. Guess not. I never use them except to book tickets with membership awards.

Surprised they are still doing that, almost every online ticketing site doesn't do that anymore. I wonder why people still use them, except for ticketing like I'm doing?

Plus if they are using Travelocity, what's the point?

Interestingly, I was short some points. They charged the whole amount of the ticket, $372.90, to the card, then removed the points and credited me 326.29. So I paid the difference of $47 (I didn't have enough miles in the account). But for some reason I got 746 membership rewards credited at the Amex card site. That's 2X what the ticket cost. What happened to 3X?

Most likely they will remove the part I got credited later.

But this is all confusing. I was expecting 3X times 47.00 (that's 140 points)from the Rewards card, and 2X from AmexTravel. Now I see that's misleading and I'll only get 47 points from them, for a total of 187 points.

One thing though, the points got added immediately (I did this early this week), as opposed to waiting a couple months for statement points.

Weird.

Reminds self not to use American Express Travel again.

Last edited by lbotez; Jul 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Not sure if this has been posted before but saw this on the UK Amex Travel site and thought I would post it here....

Earn 5x Membership Rewards® points – *for every full pound spent on hotels, car hire and experiences. 5x points on travel ends 30 September 2012. Terms apply.
Could this mean 10 MR per £ if you have one of the cards that gives you double points for travel spend?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:11 pm
mia

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Could this mean 10 MR per £ if you have one of the cards that gives you double points for travel spend?
No, it would mean no more than 6 points per pound total.

• 1 = base point for any spend
  • 1 = bonus point for travel spend (2X means 1+1)
  • 4 = bonus points for using the Amex portal (5X means 1+4)

The terms refer only to 1 bonus point per pound. I assume this is temporarily increased to 4, and that the ongoing "double points for travel spend" does not require booking through the americanexpress.co.uk/travel

https://travel.americanexpress.co.uk...?page=about_us

Note also that this bonus applies only to prepaid hotel stays, not stays where you pay at the property. This makes it improbable that hotel status benefits or points will apply:

For products that are booked on the American Express Travel but are paid directly to the supplier (i.e. Fine Hotels & Resorts) Cardmembers are not eligible to earn the additional bonus point.

Last edited by mia; Aug 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.