Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:09 am

AmEx updates their travel website!

As title says, AmEx has been upgrading it's Travel website tonight (still doing it right now actually).

I was using the old website earlier today to book hotels and noticed how buggy it was. It still is a little buggy - I've been trying to book a hotel in Montreal and clicking my desired hotel brings me to a hotel in Spain. I ended up calling AmEx to book.

New site looks very pleasant though, if lacking some info in some areas currently (such as room descriptions).

EDIT: Just got my itinerary by email. The total price is what the CSR quoted me at (and in the correct currency), but the hotel is listed as the one in Spain. I'll call later to check up on that.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tearex
I've been trying to book a hotel in Montreal and clicking my desired hotel brings me to a hotel in Spain.
EDIT: Just got my itinerary by email. The total price is what the CSR quoted me at (and in the correct currency), but the hotel is listed as the one in Spain.
It sounds like AmEx really wants you to go to Spain!
Have you considered vacationing in Spain instead of Montreal? I hear the weather's much better
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:11 pm

Update:

So they did actually book me to the Spain hotel. The CSR had to call up another booking website to book the hotel because it kept going over to the one in Spain.

I noticed that the website reverted to the older one this morning, but is now back to the new website. I currently can't get anywhere on the site as I keep get internal server errors.

At least the itinerary they emailed me now is correct. The format is of the old travel website though.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Seat reservations, FF#

Ok, so I booked a trip via Amex travel recently. It's been a while since I've been on the site, new design/interface is nice. When booking my tickets, I selected seats and entered our FF numbers. However, in the confirmation email, seats were listed as "pending" and FF numbers were no where to be found. These are US air tickets so I pulled up the reservation on their website and found our tickets, however seats/FF#s were missing. I called up Amex travel, they pulled up my reservation, but no seats/FF were in the system. Now getting a little frustrated, I gave her seat preferences and our account numbers. She said it was all set, and that I would get a new email that would include seats/FF. Got an email, but says "pending" just like the original. What gives? Is this normal? Will my seats eventually be booked by Amex or do I need to call up US airways to do this?

Last edited by AirD0c; Sep 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:35 am

Years ago it was really travelocity web site with Amex name on it. Did they switch or build their own? What do you call that when another company is behind the site like amex did with travelocity?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AirD0c
I need to call up US airways to do this?
I would simply go to usairways.com > Manage Reservations, see if you can locate the reservation, and if their system will allow you to enter the Frqunet Flyer credentials and choose seats.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
I would simply go to usairways.com > Manage Reservations, see if you can locate the reservation, and if their system will allow you to enter the Frqunet Flyer credentials and choose seats.
Doesn't it seem a little, well, misleading to have the option of seat selection in Amex travel if airlines then don't honor them? If I hadn't been vigilant about making sure we had our seats, we could have gotten worse seats as a result. Also the Amex travel CSR with whom I spoke clearly did not understand that it's not possible to reserve seats with their system (at least in this example). Overall, very sloppy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion
Years ago it was really travelocity web site with Amex name on it. Did they switch or build their own? What do you call that when another company is behind the site like amex did with travelocity?
No idea about the US but in the UK they actually organise a lot of the travel stuff through themselves now.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I looked at booking a $220 airline ticket but they wanted to add a $25 service charge. 10%? For using a website that isn't any better than the airline's website? I don't understand that service model.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
It looks like a new website.

I know the old site was based on Travelocity; the fonts, colors, and date selection calendar were the same.

Whatever they switched to, it definitely has a lot more selection than Travelocity. When I started looking into hotels, the old website had a poor selection starting from $120+. The new website seems to incorporate a lot more hotels, starting around $50+.

Another difference: the new trip IDs are 8 digits. I believe the old ones are 10 or 12 digits. I currently have a 12 digit ID that has to be looked up on some other (old) webpage.

Website is still buggy. I still get internal server errors on some searches.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA*G
Just booked via Amex Travel site and got the 3x points posted for Airfare already, I was wondering when and how long does it take to get the additional point for booking on Amex site
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:51 pm

Does AMEX get you cheaper flight tickets?

I am looking on the AMEX site using the trip planner tool and they are giving me all these rates. Are these generally cheaper than what you'd find elsewhere? Are these "perks" that come from being a member?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:10 pm

Are you Canadian or USA?

Either way I'd say no cheaper flights from AMEX travel service or website (they're simply another Travel Agent, who may have discounts with hotels or car rentals)

e.g. I booked YYZ-SFO in 2011 via AMEX to use my $200 credit on Air Canada
AMEX's quote is EXACTLY the same as AirCanada.com

For Canadian travel you can try the website to see what you get
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/travel/arc.cfm?tab=h
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:32 pm

inn USA
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I normally find that the UK one is about 3 or 4% cheaper than the price shown on the Airlines site + Most airlines in the UK have massive credit card surcharges, so normally works out much cheaper for me to book through Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.