Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by mia
Not exactly. You need to buy an unrestricted full fare ticket. In most instances the ticket will cost a bit more than double the cost of the lowest priced business class tickets offered by the same carrier. American Express' program is a different path to similar saving, not a way to further reduce the price of deeply discounted fares.

That quote was copied and pasted straight from the AMX site....

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-members.html
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA
Why does AMEX charge a fee for booking at amextravel.com?

I don't understand why AMEX charges a fee for booking at amextravel.com. Does any other OTA do this? Shouldn't they be getting money from the airline, not the customer...?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:06 pm

what usa airline pays commission for economy?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile
I don't understand why AMEX charges a fee for booking at amextravel.com. Does any other OTA do this? Shouldn't they be getting money from the airline, not the customer...?
They do it to make cover their costs and hopefully make a profit
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AMEX Travel also gets you 1x extra MR points when you book with them.

I guess the fee ($6.99 domestic/$11.99 international) is to offset this expense.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Why does AMEX charge a fee for booking at amextravel.com?
Because people are willing to pay it...?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:43 am

There are no fees if you have a Platinum or Centurion card.

I do agree it feels like they are nickel and diming you though.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Does any other OTA do this?...
Sometime. (American Express Travel is currently outsourced to Orbitz.)

Orbitz service fees
Flights

Most airline tickets purchased on Orbitz.com do not include a service fee. Certain tickets carry a fee ranging from $6.99 to $25.00. The price quoted includes all taxes and fees, other than airline-specific charges such as baggage and seat assignment fees that vary from airline to airline.

For reservations made over phone, Orbitz will add a non-refundable $25.00 to each air reservation.

Hotels
Orbitz earns a service fee on some online hotel transactions. The "Taxes and Fees" line includes a fee we charge and retain in exchange for the services we provide in facilitating your transaction with the hotel. There is no additional fee for booking a hotel reservation by phone.

Cars
There are no booking fees for a standalone car reservation made online at Orbitz or by phone.

Vacation Packages
There are no additional fees for packages reserved online or by phone.

Cruises
A non-refundable fee of $24.99 will be charged by Orbitz to book a cruise.

Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:16 pm

So I have AMEX SPG, BLUE, and decided to book via Amextravel. $10.99 fee I don't even get to choose a seat, I have to go to the airlines website. Do you think Amex will refund the fee? If I would of known I wouldn't even bother.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
American Express Travel website air inquiry

I was looking at the AMEX travel website for a vacation which would include hotel and air. Does anyone know if you can specify which airline class (other than coach) on the website or if you can break up the cities in a country - 4 nights here and 5 nights there?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The Amex UK travel booking site does offer multi-city trips these days, and lets you pick economy / business / first, but for flight only. Flight+Hotel only allows a single destination, but does allow picking economy / business / first (no premium economy).

Assuming that the US site behaves the same, you'd need to ring up (assuming you have access). The Platinum Travel desk ought to be able to sort that sort of thing for you, if you had the Plat chargecard, for example.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Wow! That doesn't seem fair that your website has all those things. Maybe I am just doing something wrong.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
...Platinum Travel desk
Proceed with caution: americanexpress.com/travel is outsourced to Orbitz, and is distinct from Platinum Travel Service.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:29 pm

I was looking up one of the Universal Studios Orlando resorts on the Amex Travel Site. With the 100off600 amex offers promotion it comes out about $90 cheaper than booking on other sites.

But the amex site wants to charge for kids, when kids stay free. Is this like orbitz where after you book you can call in and add the kids for free?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Centurion
what usa airline pays commission for economy?
Most of them do, to preferred agencies/agency groups for the higher fare buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.