Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Can I make a booking over the phone?

Yes, American Express Travel Online can assist you in making a reservation. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-297-2977 (1-312-980-7807 if traveling outside the U.S.).

Note: There may be a fee for booking a reservation over the phone.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:13 am

I'm not sure if this has been addressed in another thread but I have two questions regarding travel booking through the Amex portal. I am looking to book a flight to Europe in business on BA for the family using pay with points and the 50% rebate through my bus plat.

1. It appears that the website will not let me choose seats fo my desired flights which is obviously important flying with 2 small children. Is this something I should be able to do easily directly through BA once the tickets are booked?

2. I want to earn AA miles for the flight but the portal only allows me to enter my BA number. Should I leave blank on the portal and again just go to BA site after booking and enter AA number?

Or am I better off accomplishing the above by calling Amex and booking? I'd hate to have to pay the fees unless I have to.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan

1. It appears that the website will not let me choose seats
In general BA does not allow free seat selection until 24 hours prior to departure. You can choose on ba.com, if you pay a fee. There are exceptions to this policy if you have elite status with BA or a OneWorld carrier such as AA.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:21 pm

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell what specific fare class a ticket purchased via AmEx travel was issued under? On Monday I had an AA business class flight in the afternoon and wanted to move to an earlier flight. Called AA, no same day standby option available. And that furthermore they would have to transfer me to the "meetings department" since my ticket was a group rate or some such. I hang up, look online to see what my options on a different routing (not permitted on a same day standby) might be, find one that I like and which has a reasonable economy fare available. AAgent says I should be able to change for a $200 change fee but puts me on hold for a few minutes to confirm with the rate desk. Comes back and says I'll also have to pay a $50 "External reservation" change fee since it wasn't booked with AA. Ends up being only a nominal difference since I was downgrading from a business class ticket to economy so I had them proceed.

Anyways, they called back later to let me know that when the rate desk looked into my ticket, there was no change fee and I'd be getting a $200 refund. And when I got to the airport (where the phone AAgent instructed me to pay, initially), the check-in agent didn't know what they were talking about with the $50 "external res" fee and refunded me $250.

Anyways, long story short I'm wondering if there's a way to lookup what sorts of fare rules apply to a ticket booked with AmEx travel in the future as I have some reservations I might like to change (if there's no $200 fee!).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:10 pm

Is Cathay Pacific bookable via AmEx Travel? Comparing kayak to the AmEx Travel website and all of the other flights appear to be there but CX is not.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:21 pm

Is it normal for the Amex travel site to not work a lot of the time? Like 50%+

I've tried a couple different days to look at hotels in Seattle and it either times out and gives me a server error, will NOT log me (just sits at the log in screen and I can mash the sign in button a million times with nothing happening), or it will log me in, bring up the list of hotels, and then say "Log in to see benefits!" or some such thing and then it's impossible to log in because it won't load...

I've tried at home and at work on IE11, Firefox, and Safari at home on my Mac. It's possibly the worst web site I've ever seen. I would like to see if it's worth staying two nights in Seattle at one of their hotels that gets me the $75 hotel credit and some other benefits, vs staying one night at almost $380 via the CSR to get a $100 F&B credit at a SPG hotel...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:53 pm

Unhappy Amex Travel is an absolute joke

Let me preface this by saying I have had an Amex card for 19 years. I have LOVED their customer service over the years.
I booked an all-inclusive getaway for my wife and I in Cancun in a couple of weeks. I shopped around pretty hard, and ended up getting a great price on the Hyatt Ziva Cancun. A couple of days later, I got an Amex offer for $100 off off $600 or more booking. I looked on their site, and their rates were WAY higher, as they always seem to be. Right above the rate, it showed that the have a "best rate guarantee." Well, they'll match the lower price, I'll get 2x MR points, and a $100 statement credit? Done!
Fast forward two days...
I get this text in an email: " We received your American Express Lowest Rate Guaranteed Hotel Rates claim. However, we are unable to approve your claim because the booking you have is an "All Inclusive" reservation. "All Inclusive" rooms do not qualify for the "Lowest Rate Guarantee Claim".

The General Terms for our "Lowest Rate Guarantee" can be viewed at https://faq.amextravel.com/app/answe...5/kw/guarantee. It states "The "Lowest Rate Guaranteed" policy applies to the rate for the room night only. Promotional packages, deals, or bundles that may include additional amenities such as parking, meals, or entertainment are not eligible."

All over their website, the "Lowest Rate Guarantee" table is tatooed next to EVERY all inclusive that they offer. But, of course, the have absolutely no intention of honoring that guarantee. Please, for your own sanity, don't ever, ever use Amex Travel.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:58 pm

With the Citi Prestige 4th night free there isn't a reason to book Amextravel. It is just an online travel agent that has no customer service orientation. As in, Amex the company may help you out in many cases but Amextravel isn't run by Amex the company.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I only use Fine Hotels from Amex. Otherwise I stay far away from Amex travel. It's worthless and the issues they create aren't worth it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by s0ssos
With the Citi Prestige 4th night free there isn't a reason to book Amextravel.
Advertisement?

OP mentioned nothing regarding Citi Prestige.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:04 am
mia

...Amextravel isn't run by Amex the company.
Amex Travel = Orbitz
Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel = Connexions
Citi ThankYou Rewards Travel = Connexions
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Advertisement?

OP mentioned nothing regarding Citi Prestige.
Do you understand what an advertisement is?

Depending on how much you pay for a night, $600 is probably 4 nights, and with citi you get the 4th night free and pay 3/4. And you get all your elite benefits and the such. So it would be $600 with $150 off, without the hassle and quirks of Amextravel.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by mheynrmc
...Hyatt Ziva Cancun....
... $600 is probably 4 nights,...
Not at this property.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
Not at this property.
It all depends if you can hit the 4 nights. If you can, you save even more.

But, actually looking at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun with the 50% off, I wonder if Amextravel matches that. Cause it seems to be a promo running all summer.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere in this thread or others, but I can't find it. For the last couple of months, the link from my Business Platinum account page to "Use Points" does take me to the flight booking page (via the following Travel link), but I get a message there apologizing that Membership Rewards are not currently available.

Calling the Business Platinum line always results in my ticket being paid with points and a waived fee, but I don't have the luxury of viewing all of the options. This includes the highly valued (by me) flights that offer reduced points for redemption in comparison to the value in dollars.

This is really getting old. I have a lot of points and probably always will. This is the number one benefit to me, as I can buy Business or First class tickets, or any ticket on my preferred airline and get half of the points back. It's the only redemption that interests me, as it saves so much money in the annual travel budget plus allows me to maintain my top-tier status with one domestic and one foreign carrier. That's something that the airlines' mileage programs don't do.

Are others experiencing this? If it matters, I use all Macintosh computers and have tried it on every available browser: Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera. They play dumb when I call in, but I know it can't be that all of my three machines are causing it. Surely they must have others experiencing the same thing. Curious to hear if anyone here is having the same result, or if buying a cheap Windows machine just for AmEx would cure it.

I'm really frustrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.