Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 11:33 am

Amex points to book Emirates flight

I have about 105,000 amex MR points which i will use to book an international flight on emirates. The fight itself is about $995 on emirates.com but on amextravel its showing at over 1100. I thought i could use my points at a 1 to 1 ratio to book the flight. Can someone please help? Am i missing something? Thank you!
Old May 10, 2016, 12:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bmms8
...I thought i could use my points at a 1 to 1 ratio to book the flight.
Assuming your card is issued in the USA, and further assuming that it is an Everyday, Green, Gold or Platinum card you should be able to redeem at the rate 1 point = $0.01. This means 105,000 points should buy $1,050 airfare.

Airlines do not publish all fares through all booking channels. Can you find the $995 fare on Orbitz.com or Expedia.com?
Old May 10, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Assuming your card is issued in the USA, and further assuming that it is an Everyday, Green, Gold or Platinum card you should be able to redeem at the rate 1 point = $0.01. This means 105,000 points should buy $1,050 airfare.

Airlines do not publish all fares through all booking channels. Can you find the $995 fare on Orbitz.com or Expedia.com?

Hi Mia! The rate is published on Emirates.com but on Amextravel I'm seeng it as more. My card is a US personal platinum card. Can I go ahead and book via Emirates.com and use my points to credit the charge after at the same 1 to .01 ratio? Thanks!
Old May 10, 2016, 1:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bmms8
... Can I go ahead and book via Emirates.com and use my points to credit the charge after at the same 1 to .01 ratio? Thanks!
No, you must book on the Amex Travel Site to redeem points. That's why I suggested that you see if the lower rate is available through other online travel sites. That would tell you if the rate is exclusive to emirates.com, or if Amex Travel should have it.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, you must book on the Amex Travel Site to redeem points. That's why I suggested that you see if the lower rate is available through other online travel sites. That would tell you if the rate is exclusive to emirates.com, or if Amex Travel should have it.
mia thanks for the clarification. On expedia they offer the same price as emirates. Its actually about $5 more but not a couple hundred. Any advice on how i should proceed? Thank you
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:18 pm

Booking Jetblue through Amex Travel

Does anyone know which fare if I book Jetblue flight through amex travel site? Is it Blue, Blue plus or Blue flex?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:08 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I would assume Blue. You can verify by comparing the price on Amex travel's site to the Blue price on Jetblue.com. After accounting for the $7 Amex booking fee, they should match.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:32 pm

Ah, I see! I didn't know there is $7 fee and it is only waived for plat members. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:07 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Just recent got the US AMEX PGR card, if I book air ticket on amextravel.com, will the charges come from amextravel or directly from the airline? I'd like to know if I'll earn 3x vs 2x MR points.

Additionally, the same trip cost about $50 less on Orbitz (via their cashback), does anyone know if the charges will be from airline or OTA?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:22 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Does anyone have experience booking a ticket using credit from cancelled non-refundable ticket?

Curious how easily the process was for people. booked through PTS though I have since downgraded the card...is this going to be a nightmare?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
More of us are using Amex Travel for bookings due to the 50% refund on pay with MR points for Business Platinum holders.

I can't believe I'm the only one frustrated by the inability to save traveler profiles to Amex travel? Every time I want to book a ticket for family, everything has to be manually re-entered. Anyone know a workaroud? TIA
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:12 am
Suspended

If you are going to use amextravel.com, make sure to check the offers on your card. AMEX currently has a spend $400 on amextravel, get 6,000 MR.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by DaveH
More of us are using Amex Travel for bookings due to the 50% refund on pay with MR points for Business Platinum holders.

I can't believe I'm the only one frustrated by the inability to save traveler profiles to Amex travel? Every time I want to book a ticket for family, everything has to be manually re-entered. Anyone know a workaroud? TIA
I completely agree! for me it's to look up your existing reservations you have to go to "book a trip" and only there see your existing trips. no other way from other amex pages.

Originally Posted by BigManOnCampus1
If you are going to use amextravel.com, make sure to check the offers on your card. AMEX currently has a spend $400 on amextravel, get 6,000 MR.
that's for hotel bookings, not flights.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:17 am

I have a platinum card and was under the impression that there are no airfare booking fees that are usually charged ($6.99 per domestic ticket // $10.99 per international ticket) to non-platinum members.
It seems to be true only when bookings are made online.
When we call 1800-297-2977 to make a new airline booking (not ticket changes), the fees are $39 per ticket, waived only for centurion members.
I was getting an error when booking flights online and I wish they waive the fees when it is their internal system error.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: TK E+
How to book refundable fares via Amex Travel?

I'm looking to use MR points for booking some flights in economy, and I'm interested in refundable fares. Most serious OTAs provide the option for listing just refundable fares, but I can't seem to find any such option on amex travel.

It appears that only some C/F tickets have refundable fares, and even then it's probably with some significant penalty in many cases.

Any idea how to get refundable Y fares via amex travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.