Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Get AMEX PTS to book "refundable" reservation, AMEX will credit you $200 right away
You can call hotel to cancel it later, essentially getting the $200 credit
Then you can book on your own anywhere

Or..just save it for something else then
This is the best way to use the $200 credit.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
purchase through amex travel

I made a purchase on a flight through amex travel and it did not count for any points on my statement. Do they wait until you complete the flight to credit it.? Is there a waiting period.? How many points do you get for the premier rewards gold card. I thought it was 4x if you go thoroughly their travel portal. Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:00 am

Typically your points from this billing cycle will post the following month. If it doesn't show up by then, you can ways reach out to CS and they'll typically be able to credit any earned points that were somehow not credited.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I booked a hotel reservation for $210, the agent deducted my $200 travel credit immediately and I paid my $10 balance.

What am I missing here, where's the hard part?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I found the Canadian PTS service pretty straight forward and was able to use my 2013 travel credit easily.

I've never used the Cdn online travel service for Amex because 1) airfare doesn't get any bonus points so there's no reason to use it when I can get the same fares elsewhere 2) Hotel bookings I believe are like any other opaque service. I'll book directly on SPG/Hyatt websites so I get the stay credit/hotel points.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
?'s on using MR points to pay for travel

Hello. I've gone through several pages and searched...I'm thinking I'm not searching for the right terms.

I've never used MR points to pay for tickets booked on AMEX.com and have a few questions / observations.

It seems like using the points isn't extracting maximum value from the points, but doing so offers up a lot more flexibility than what I can get using points to book award travel. And in many cases for what I'm looking at doing, the value is actually greater than using miles to book award seats.

On top of that, I earn miles for the flight and as top tier on US I earn a 100% bonus (if I end up flying on US metal).

So my interest for now is specific to US.

If I book through amex.com and pay with MR points, do I in fact earn the bonus miles in addition to the PQM's?

Is the resulting booking eligible for upgrade with either additional miles or using my Chairman's Preferred trans Atlantic upgrades?

Are there other considerations that I'm missing?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Booking using MR points looks to the airline like a cash ticket booked through an OTA. However, this is usually a poor use of MR points because it only has a value of 1 - I consider 2 the bare minimum value I will accept, so I only use MR when I can transfer them them to a program that will get me that, or better (most times I can get 3 - 4 per MR). MR are very valuable, so I don't like to waste them. However, everyone's personal situation is different.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:36 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When you Pay with Points you buy a revenue ticket. It's exactly the same as buying a ticket through any other travel agency. (Currently, americanexpree.com/travel is outsourced to Travelocity.) The full cost appears as a charge on your American Express card. Separately, you redeem points to offset all, or some, of the transaction.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks folks!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:44 pm

Does AmEx Travel surcharge negate rewards points?

New Platinum cardmember here (I also have a Blue Cash Preferred for day to day expenses)...I'm looking at booking my first flights through the AmEx travel website and I noticed they add a $7 surcharge...through USAir, the flight would be $268, but through AmEx, its $275. Now, I know we get 2x rewards points when booking through AmEx, but it seems like this surcharge negates that: I'll get 550 points (=$5.50) if I book through AmEx, but I also lose $7 upfront (net -$1.50), whereas if I book through USAir I'll just get the standard 268 points (=$2.68).

Am I missing something here? It seems to only make sense to book through AmEx if the ticket cost is over $700...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:49 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
... I'll get 550 points (=$5.50) if I book through AmEx, but I also lose $7 upfront (net -$1.50),
It appears you are valuing Membership Rewards points at $0.01 each. They are potentially worth more, if you transfer to an airline frequent flyer program and redeem for otherwise expensive tickets, such as intercontinental business or first class. Once you decide on a fair valuation of the points, based on your redemption pattern, this becomes a simple arithmetic problem.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:09 am

This may be a dumb question.

I know it's not the best value but it's the only way I can use any of my available credit cards points for a stay on a Disney property - If I book a hotel using points now for a trip in October but I cancel my card before the stay (annual fee is due in June) will I have a problem with my reservation?
Old May 5, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by aimorris
This may be a dumb question.

I know it's not the best value but it's the only way I can use any of my available credit cards points for a stay on a Disney property - If I book a hotel using points now for a trip in October but I cancel my card before the stay (annual fee is due in June) will I have a problem with my reservation?
No.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:06 pm

AMEX Travel Site - No Premium Econ option for flights...Any Workarounds?

I did a search but could not find anything relevant, so if there is already a thread that I missed, sorry about that...

I want to use the AMEX travel site to book a flight on Virgin Atlanticin Premium Economy and the travel site doesn't offer that option. (By using the Amex site, I can save a few bucks between using a few points and offers)

I called Amex and they said I can buy an economy ticket and then go to the Virgin website and buy an upgrade to PE. I called Virgin Atlantic and they said that option does not exist on their website and the only way for me to do that was at the airport when I check in for the flight if seats were available.

Has anyone come across this before? If so, what did you do?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Amextravel.com question

For those who book airfare and or hotels at amextravel.com, does the charge come through the amex statement as charges from the airline/hotel, or from amextravel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.