Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by mia
Enter a test booking on both sites to test.
Indeed, a $7 booking fee on a random JFK-RDU round trip AA/US mix in Y.
2x MR points is not worth it on this type of flight, maybe on a long-haul J or F, but not on domestic Y.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Hyatt Gold SPG Gold
Book thru AMEX Travel Site or Delta.com

Generally speaking, when you fly Delta, is it better to go through the Delta.com (permitting the possibility of receiving a credit if the fare subsequently decreases - yapta.com) or is it best to go through AMEX.com (removing the credit potentiality, but giving you double points for your airfare purchase)?

I'm about to buy two tickets, EYW - ATL - YYZ), and I'm debating which way to go. Current rate is $553/ ticket on Delta.com and $560/ ticket on AMEX Travel.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FijiUCF
Generally speaking, when you fly Delta, is it better to go through the Delta.com (permitting the possibility of receiving a credit if the fare subsequently decreases - yapta.com) or is it best to go through AMEX.com (removing the credit potentiality, but giving you double points for your airfare purchase)?

I'm about to buy two tickets, EYW - ATL - YYZ), and I'm debating which way to go. Current rate is $553/ ticket on Delta.com and $560/ ticket on AMEX Travel.

Thanks!
Amex charges booking fee's. In the scenario you list above(I'm taking it you don't have a PR Gold card, that would give you 3x MR points even when booking at DL.com) for $14 dollars more you would be getting an extra 1120 points, or in essence paying 1.25 cents a point for those extra points. Not a terrible deal(If you use your points to transfer to airlines, otherwise if you use them on gift cards etc, not a good idea as you only get 1 cent per point value in return.)

Also as an FYI Delta does not give credit on price drops. The only way this is possible with them is if the fare drops more than $150. You pay the $150 to cancel the ticket and book one at the new price, saving the difference between the $150 it cost you to cancel and the new lower fare.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:55 am

Thanks for the response.

I have an AMEX Platinum. I don't think that offers 2x (or higher) on Delta.com . . . does it?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have combined several short discussions about booking through americanexpress.com/travel because there are recurring questions about bonus points, booking fees and limitations of the site which is operated for American Express by Travelocity.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:38 am

Thanks, Mia.

I read the consolidated thread.

Here are two questions that I'm struggling to answer:
1/ Are there bonus MR points for booking through Delta.com and using an AMEX Platinum?
2/ Are there bonus MR points for booking through AMEX Travel and using an AMEX Platinum?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:43 am
mia

1/ Are there bonus MR points for booking through Delta.com and using an AMEX Platinum?
No, although there could be an occasional temporary promotion.

2/ Are there bonus MR points for booking through AMEX Travel and using an AMEX Platinum?
There is a bonus for booking through americanexpress.com/travel , but it is not specific to the Platinum Card. It requires payment with a card which earns Membership Rewards (Centurion, Platinum, Gold, Green, Zync, Blue). The value of the bonus is partially offset by the booking fee.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:50 am

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to be purchasing two international tickets to Canada, totaling around $1,100, and I plan on using my AMEX Platinum.

The price difference between americanexpress.com/travel and Delta.com was $6 per ticket.

What is the AMEX MR Bonus for booking through americanexpress.com/travel?

Is it worth going through the AMEX website?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:00 am
mia

What is the AMEX MR Bonus for booking through americanexpress.com/travel?
1 additional point per dollar. In your example you would earn 1,100 bonus points for paying $12 in booking fees. This means you are paying slightly more than $0.01 per point. This can be worthwhile if you transfer your points to airline miles and redeem for expensive tickets, but I would rather use (for example) the Virgin Atlantic Airlines shopping portal, book through Expedia or Travelocity, pay no booking fee, and earn one bonus mile.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I don't see an actual answer in regards to the original question.

Do you receive 5x points for purchasing airline tickets thru Amex Travel when using your Premier Rewards Gold Card based on 3x from the card and 2x for booking thru Amex?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
I don't see an actual answer in regards to the original question.

Do you receive 5x points for purchasing airline tickets thru Amex Travel when using your Premier Rewards Gold Card based on 3x from the card and 2x for booking thru Amex?
Based on my understanding of how Amex reports their multipliers, 3x is the total points, so that includes the base. So, for 3x on airfare, you get 2 additional points per dollar. With 2x using Amex Travel, you get one additional. So, using Amex Travel for airfare, you should get 4x.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:17 am
mia

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
...using Amex Travel for airfare, you should get 4x.
Agreed, as mentioned in post 12 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15298480-post12.html
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:29 am

Disconnect between Travelocity and Amex Travel Web

Looking at an international trip on Amex Travel website, I found the flights I wanted for $4000. On Travelocity.com the exact same flights were $2900. I called Amex Travel and they find the same flights for $2900. As I didn't want to pay their booking fee or give up the MR bonus, they checked with Amex Web Support and their response was that the Amex Travel Web sees different inventory. They didn't even try to resolve the issue.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by canred
Looking at an international trip on Amex Travel website, I found the flights I wanted for $4000. On Travelocity.com the exact same flights were $2900. I called Amex Travel and they find the same flights for $2900. As I didn't want to pay their booking fee or give up the MR bonus, they checked with Amex Web Support and their response was that the Amex Travel Web sees different inventory. They didn't even try to resolve the issue.
Same thing happened to me when I tried to book a package a few months ago. Amex Travel basically told me that they are not Travelocity so they don't honor those prices.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:22 pm

Premier Rewards Gold - Less points for booking Flights through Amex Site?

I just received this card 2 weeks ago and have booked 5RT flights through the AMEX travel site thinking I am racking up points. I was just on the phone with MR and the fellow tells me I am only getting credit for 2X points through the Amex travel site vs 3X points i could be getting booking directly though the airline or with a site like Travelocity.

Can someone shed some light on this topic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.