Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If a revenue passenger wants a certain seat, then the non-Rev is expected to move. Up to point ready to pushback a non-review should be happy to move. Once pushed back absent a broken seat they shouldn't need to move.

I am not sure where you are getting that information, but I have never heard of that being a policy before back when I was using them in my day.

When you are assigned a seat by a GA, you are expected to sit there unless instructed differently from a FA, the seat is not assigned to anyone else, or the permission being granted by the person assigned that seat. In consideration of the type of seat and cabin travel of course.

I would imagine a quick visit with an FA would be all it takes to remove a seat poacher from a non-rev's assigned in most cases as I am sure most FA's would look out for their own fellow employee.

Non-revs are not entitled to help themselves to anyone else's seat, I am not sure why anyone thinks it would be any different to do the same to them w/o one of the 3 above I mentioned.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I am not sure where you are getting that information, but I have never heard of that being a policy before back when I was using them in my day.

When you are assigned a seat by a GA, you are expected to sit there unless instructed differently from a FA, the seat is not assigned to anyone else, or the permission being granted by the person assigned that seat. In consideration of the type of seat and cabin travel of course.

I would imagine a quick visit with an FA would be all it takes to remove a seat poacher from a non-rev's assigned in most cases as I am sure most FA's would look out for their own fellow employee.

Non-revs are not entitled to help themselves to anyone else's seat, I am not sure why anyone thinks it would be any different to do the same to them w/o one of the 3 above I mentioned.
Im not saying seat poach. Ask the GA or FA.

However on any airline I've had the luck of non-reving if a paying passenger asks for a seat assigned a non-rev, the non-Rev moves.

As far as manifests, everyone I've seen includes a note/mark on who is non-rev.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:51 am

MSP/Delta captive here with a standby question. I am flying home in a few weeks on a FC award ticket. My scheduled itinerary has a significant layover in DCA and I’d love to be able to standby on an earlier flight if possible. My first flight leaves at 11:50 am; there are five earlier ones departing between 6 and 7:30 that would be worth an early trek to the airport if I had a chance to get on them.

Am I correct in my read of this thread thus far – that because my award ticket is in first class, I can put my name on the standby list for free, but only if my alternate routing is exactly the same, including the layover city? My routing is the only one of the day that has DCA as the layover, so if those are the rules, I’m out of luck……

If standing by for an earlier flight with a different layover city IS allowed, do I just show up early at the airport and inquire with the gate agent(s)?Assuming that I’m allowed to get on “the list”, would they seat me in coach if a first class seat isn’t available? I’d actually be okay with that – schedule trumps seat size in this situation.

If checked luggage is an issue, I can keep my rollerboard with me – although all things being equal, I’d rather check it.

Obviously, no status on AA.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by DarcyMae
I can put my name on the standby list for free, but only if my alternate routing is exactly the same, including the layover city?
Those are the rules.

You may find an agent that either isn't aware that those are the rules or who has a way around them, but odds are you won't be able to change your connecting city, and odds are probably even slimmer if you have bags checked.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Im not saying seat poach. Ask the GA or FA.

However on any airline I've had the luck of non-reving if a paying passenger asks for a seat assigned a non-rev, the non-Rev moves.

As far as manifests, everyone I've seen includes a note/mark on who is non-rev.
How would the revenue passenger know who is and who isn't a nonrev? I can't speak for sure on this, but am inclined to lean closer to SpinOn2's interpretation.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
...but am inclined to lean closer to SpinOn2's interpretation.
Me too, for sure.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
MSP/Delta captive here with a standby question. I am flying home in a few weeks on a FC award ticket. My scheduled itinerary has a significant layover in DCA and I’d love to be able to standby on an earlier flight if possible. My first flight leaves at 11:50 am; there are five earlier ones departing between 6 and 7:30 that would be worth an early trek to the airport if I had a chance to get on them.

Am I correct in my read of this thread thus far – that because my award ticket is in first class, I can put my name on the standby list for free, but only if my alternate routing is exactly the same, including the layover city? My routing is the only one of the day that has DCA as the layover, so if those are the rules, I’m out of luck……

If standing by for an earlier flight with a different layover city IS allowed, do I just show up early at the airport and inquire with the gate agent(s)?Assuming that I’m allowed to get on “the list”, would they seat me in coach if a first class seat isn’t available? I’d actually be okay with that – schedule trumps seat size in this situation.

If checked luggage is an issue, I can keep my rollerboard with me – although all things being equal, I’d rather check it.

If you are talking about keeping the routing but earlier connecting flight out of same city, same Award type has to be available to rebook on a different flight when using award tickets. I am assuming you are on a saver first class and there are none available now- chances are they won't open up closer to departure. You may just want to call AAdvantage rez and ask if you they see any availability on earlier flight. If not, it doesn't hurt to try with a gate agent day of flight as long as they aren't busy.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
How would the revenue passenger know who is and who isn't a nonrev? I can't speak for sure on this, but am inclined to lean closer to SpinOn2's interpretation.
ID/uniform. Regardless you can ask the FA for help. If it's a revenue passenger they can ask them. If it's non-rev they can make them.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: American Advantage Exec Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Ambassador Spire Elite, SPG Gold

While you have not stated, if ticket was provided by an Executive Platinum status person, you can call and have switched to whatever flight you want depending on availability. Folks I have provided tickets for have had no problem switching tickets.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
If you are talking about keeping the routing but earlier connecting flight out of same city, same Award type has to be available to rebook on a different flight when using award tickets. I am assuming you are on a saver first class and there are none available now- chances are they won't open up closer to departure. You may just want to call AAdvantage rez and ask if you they see any availability on earlier flight. If not, it doesn't hurt to try with a gate agent day of flight as long as they aren't busy.
I was hoping to be able to fly an early RSW-ORD-MSP route rather than a late afternoon/evening RSW-DCA-MSP.

There is award availability for the RSW-ORD-MSP leg but my understanding is that my ability for free standby would only apply if I kept the connecting city the same.

There is only one nonstop DCA-MSP flight so with the rules not allowing a change to the connecting city, I don't have any options for standby that make any sense.

Appreciate the information assist.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I was hoping to be able to fly an early RSW-ORD-MSP route rather than a late afternoon/evening RSW-DCA-MSP.

There is award availability for the RSW-ORD-MSP leg but my understanding is that my ability for free standby would only apply if I kept the connecting city the same.

There is only one nonstop DCA-MSP flight so with the rules not allowing a change to the connecting city, I don't have any options for standby that make any sense.

Appreciate the information assist.
If there is award availability now, call in and change. Date/time/routing changes are included in your award ticket as long as O/D stay the same.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kiwiclem
While you have not stated, if ticket was provided by an Executive Platinum status person, you can call and have switched to whatever flight you want depending on availability. Folks I have provided tickets for have had no problem switching tickets.
If they do this, it's not because the ticket was issued using miles from an EP, but because there is award availability on the desired flights and the confirmed change is free regardless.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
ID/uniform. Regardless you can ask the FA for help. If it's a revenue passenger they can ask them. If it's non-rev they can make them.
An employee with an ID/uniform very well could be dead-heading too as a must ride, and they are 100% confirmed passengers. In all honesty, they are more important than revenue pax as far as the airline is concerned, I almost guarantee you an FA wouldn't force a deadheader to move, ask maybe, but not force. Especially if it is a pilot or FA.

Of course they can make them move. FA's can technically make anyone move really. However, I highly doubt many FA's would force a non rev to move seats for a revenue pax just because the revenue pax didn't like their seat they were given. In most cases the FA's defer to what the GA did/decided. There is a good chance (basically non-irrops) that the revenue pax had the option of buying or asking to be moved to a different seat long before the nonrev was given their seat.

You have to remember, most all FA's need to utilize commuting or non reving at some point, and they are mostly all going to feel for the nonrev in some capacity.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
...In most cases the FA's defer to what the GA did/decided.
All, I'd say, after asking around on this.

And no one really understood this unusual contention (passengers asking that non-revs be made to move out of properly assigned seats for no reason in particular) altogether.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Can only get on Standby List at Airport?

Called in to do a SDFC for a flight tomorrow LGA-CLT-MIA. Everything is sold out and overbooked the agent says so I ask if I can be put on the Standby list for a flight and he says I can only do that at the gate, I tell him the flight I want to standby for is at 1120 and the original flight is at 659 and ask can I even get through security to get to the gate. He says he doesn't know. Is this a true policy or did I just get a newbie ?

I am in First (booking code I) just as a data point.

He did say that the F standby would clear before any upgrades cleared. Not sure how true that is or not.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.