Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Well, if you didn’t ask the agent at check in “may I ask what PALL code you are using?” Then how do u know they processed it incorrectly???

anytime u are are the PALL — and it is not automatic — ask what code is being used. And especially on standby F where there are a few options.
Thanks. Would you be willing to share more info: specifically, which PALL code is the correct one to use to process a paid FC ticket going standby, for a new FC seat on another flight?

I know that the agent did not process the lists correctly because [(1) EDITED TO ADD AA later apologized for this and (2)] he processed the upgrade list first, gave away the last FC seat, and then processed the standby list, giving me a coach seat.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Nov 26, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by samm
This has been my experience as well. I don't agree with the policy but at least they're being consistent? In your case did this flight go out with empty seats in FC? I don't understand why you didn't push for an upgrade after your BP was printed. Every time I've cleared standby and want to try for an upgrade, the upgrade list is 20 people deep and they already started processing those before I even got a confirmed economy seat.
There were 3 seats open in first. I asked multiple people about upgrading me post boarding pass and got nowhere.
i did get a free beer from an apologetic FA during the flight.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Question - what happens if you SDSB to an earlier flight, and end up missing it, do they keep you on your original flight (and seat) as you didn't board?

I am transiting LAX on a same-day-turn, there is one earlier flight out than i am on, but i am not sure if i wait until i am in the airport at the gate to SDSB for the earlier one, or do it while i am in the air Inbound to LAX? 1360 vs 1379 (so 7 hours prior), the issue is i get in on flight 333, so arriving ~an hour prior to 1360's departure.

Or am i way overthinking this, and just wait till i land at LAX, and race to the gate for 1360 and talk to the agent?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Thanks. Would you be willing to share more info: specifically, which PALL code is the correct one to use to process a paid FC ticket going standby, for a new FC seat on another flight?

I know that the agent did not process the lists correctly because [(1) EDITED TO ADD AA later apologized for this and (2)] he processed the upgrade list first, gave away the last FC seat, and then processed the standby list, giving me a coach seat.
If the PALL list on FT is still correct and I’m reading it correctly, a confirmed Econ passenger with ticket with higher cabins sould list above upgrades in priority. That appears to be what happened in my case detailed a couple of threads earlier when I jumped positions on the “upgrade” list after informing airport check-in agent of my situation.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Question - what happens if you SDSB to an earlier flight, and end up missing it, do they keep you on your original flight (and seat) as you didn't board?

I am transiting LAX on a same-day-turn, there is one earlier flight out than i am on, but i am not sure if i wait until i am in the airport at the gate to SDSB for the earlier one, or do it while i am in the air Inbound to LAX? 1360 vs 1379 (so 7 hours prior), the issue is i get in on flight 333, so arriving ~an hour prior to 1360's departure.

Or am i way overthinking this, and just wait till i land at LAX, and race to the gate for 1360 and talk to the agent?

Thanks
When you get to your first airport of your trip, ask them to try to list you for standby for the one you want to SDS for. Given the time difference they probably won't. So ask any agent at LAX to do it, even the one at your arrival gate. To answer your other question, you absolutely keep your original confirmed seat for the later one, and it's only released if you end making it on the plane for the earlier one.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
AA Plat here - How does standby for a later flight work? I am currently on a 7AM departure and now I am able to take an afternoon departure.

Do I need to be at the airport before 7AM to go standby or can I just call AA? I have already done standby for a later flight on the app.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Unfortunately AA agents seem to do not have set policies they follow with standby customers. With standby, I try to manage the process at every step. AA has a pretty generous standby policy in that you can standby for any flight you want with the same routing, but agents often don’t know how to manage that properly
There are set policies, and a lot of AA agents don't seem to be following them
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thearmada
AA Plat here - How does standby for a later flight work? I am currently on a 7AM departure and now I am able to take an afternoon departure.

Do I need to be at the airport before 7AM to go standby or can I just call AA? I have already done standby for a later flight on the app.
IME you do not need to call. Just no show for earlier confirmed flight. Once you get the airport, ask to be put on standby (if you are not on it already).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
You can put yourself on the standby list online or on the app - I think starting at midnight the night before the flight? You definitely don't have to be at the airport. But don't check in to your flight online or else you can only make changes at the airport. You can also call in to an agent to be put on the upgrade list for later flights.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
IME you do not need to call. Just no show for earlier confirmed flight. Once you get the airport, ask to be put on standby (if you are not on it already).
This is an option, but you will be assigned a lower code on the PALL list (RV vs RL) and will have one of the lowest standby priorities and your status won't even be factored in for list position. If you give them a heads up by calling or tweeting, (and the agent knows how to do it), they'll notate your ticket so you won't unfairly be marked as a no show.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is the London -> NYC $150 fee waived for people with status? I'm currently doing BCN -> LHR -> YUL -> JFK on 001 AA ticket stock flying British Airways metal until YUL -> JFK. I'm also overnighting in YUL, but I'd prefer to go directly to JFK if possible, either from BCN or LHR. I only ticketed this way because it was more than $1,000 less expensive. It sounds like this would break multiple rules, but does anyone have any experience asking at the AA or BA ticket counter for standby? Does either airline make exceptions?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:22 am

It doesn’t work that way. U have to be on AA metal LHR nonstop to JFK to be eligible.

Originally Posted by donotblink
Is the London -> NYC $150 fee waived for people with status? I'm currently doing BCN -> LHR -> YUL -> JFK on 001 AA ticket stock flying British Airways metal until YUL -> JFK. I'm also overnighting in YUL, but I'd prefer to go directly to JFK if possible, either from BCN or LHR. I only ticketed this way because it was more than $1,000 less expensive. It sounds like this would break multiple rules, but does anyone have any experience asking at the AA or BA ticket counter for standby? Does either airline make exceptions?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Thanks for all the discussion lately about standby and processing lists.

This happened to me today... was on a business class ticket (I class) PEK-ORD, ORD-LAS. We arrived with plenty of time to catch an earlier ORD-LAS so was put on the standby list. I was #1 of 20 or so... I was properly put on the list as "RF" I later found out.

Anyways, there ended up being a free spot in first class, but gate agent processed an upgrade for someone ahead of me. She then offered me a middle econ seat which I turned down. I asked back in the flagship lounge if that was right and they said no... brought a supervisor over to explain a little bit more.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by thearmada

Originally Posted by seawolf
I think the real question is how effective simply choosing to stand by for a later flight via the options provided online or on the app by itself. Each time I have stood by for a later flight, I have done so via the app and then a follow up call to AA. I'm guessing simply standing by via the app is enough, but AA is never really clear with its standby rules.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
How does LAX handle the same calendar day rule in connection with red eyes? A friend is coming in from Asia to LAX and has a ticket for a 7 a.m. flight the next day. He would have time to connect to the red eye that leaves at 11:45 p.m. the day before so not the same calendar day. Can he standby for the 11:45 p.m. flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.