Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 5:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Getting added to stand by list from app chat?

Was not able to find in a search, sorry if I missed this.

The agents from the "Chat feature" in the app have now twice said they cannot add people to the stand by list. It must be done at the airpot at the gate. Is this true? (I've been added to the standby list in the AC, so know it's not just at the gate)

Is there ever a way to be added stand by for another flight remotely like while in-air over the internet?
Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
International married segment, same day stand-by possible?

I am flying xxx to ord to cdg. This is sold as xxx to cdg in flagship. Can I stand by tomorrow for an earlier flight from xxx to ord, at the airport?System doesn't allow it online. Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
This should not be a problem. I have also been able to add myself to the standby list via chat when the option wasn't available online when it should've been. You can try being added through chat/phone. While they are not going to clear the standby list until shortly before departure, it may give you an earlier sense of your chances of clearing.

It's also worth asking if they can same day confirm change you on just the earlier xxx-ord, although IME they dont seem to have a different view on confirmed changes than what you can do online
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Just be mindful that XXX-ORD has had its frequencies slashed, so loads could be high. Also, the FL at XXX has been closed for refurbishment—presumably waiting for the new XXX-NRT service to start.
SCChris likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Thank u. I was able to do it today. 3 hours earlier I got confirmed on the flight.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
No Status - Can I Stand-By for an earlier flight?

I have no status, and this is a mileage ticket.

I have a 5:24 PM out of SDF-CLT-PNS on 10/7

My partner has a 5:30 AM SDF-DFW-PNS that is nearly full.

Can I stand-by for this or any other earlier flight?
Old Oct 4, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
On a standby, you can't change the routing. You could standby for an earlier SDF-CLT but not SDF-DFW. This is true for elites and non-elites. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp.
notsosmart likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
On a standby, you can't change the routing. You could standby for an earlier SDF-CLT but not SDF-DFW. This is true for elites and non-elites. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp.
Ahh, thanks for the link and the succinct explanation!
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:25 pm

Flying standby on earlier flight with checked luggage

The online material says any passenger can standby for an earlier flight.

I can’t find anything in the official policy that precludes standby for a different flight with checked luggage? Is this allowed?

Do they tag your bag for the earlier connection regardless if you clear or not?

I am trying to fly standby on the connecting flight to avoid a 7 hour layover in DFW. multiple earlier flights are available.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
They can tag your flight for the earlier flight. That might be done automatically depending on the station, but you should always ask and confirm with the check-in agent.

If you clear standby and your bags are tagged on the standby flight, your bag will fly with you. If you didn't clear standby but your bags were tagged for it, then the bag might get on the standby flight (and wait for you at the destination baggage service office), get DV8'ed onto the flight you are standing by (or confirmed) next, or get DV8'ed onto another flight to the destination. It will depend on the exact circumstances and perhaps the mood of handling agents
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
They can tag your flight for the earlier flight. That might be done automatically depending on the station, but you should always ask and confirm with the check-in agent.

If you clear standby and your bags are tagged on the standby flight, your bag will fly with you. If you didn't clear standby but your bags were tagged for it, then the bag might get on the standby flight (and wait for you at the destination baggage service office), get DV8'ed onto the flight you are standing by (or confirmed) next, or get DV8'ed onto another flight to the destination. It will depend on the exact circumstances and perhaps the mood of handling agents
thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that the ticket is an award ticket issued by Alaska airlines.
Can AA take control of the ticket and reissue the earlier connecting flight or will I be stuck with the long layover?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:15 pm

Standby didn't clear - refund?

Hi,
I'm confused on how AA same-day standby works. I have an AA award ticket for a great route, but a bad time (6am). I want to go standby on a later flight (~1 pm). What happens if I don't get on the 1pm flight? Can I get a refund, or are the miles lost because I didn't cancel before my original flight.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Nate Nate
Hi,
I'm confused on how AA same-day standby works. I have an AA award ticket for a great route, but a bad time (6am). I want to go standby on a later flight (~1 pm). What happens if I don't get on the 1pm flight? Can I get a refund, or are the miles lost because I didn't cancel before my original flight.

Thanks!
It depends on whether you have status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only AAdvantage® status members can standby for a later flight the same day
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It depends on whether you have status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
since I’m standing by for a later flight, I must have status. In my case I’m Platinum. I don’t think the level of status matters.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
SDC/Standby Question

I know there have been changes to SDC/Standby recently and I haven't had to use them so I wanted to ask about a situation here. I'm traveling BOS-CLT-MIA-BOG (paid J if it matters) tomorrow but just wanted to change the first sector and keep the others intact. A later BOS-CLT still gives me well above MCT in CLT but the app is only offering later flights with a later connecting flight to BOG which I don't want. Reservations apparently no longer handle SDC and the web help desk said they couldn't do anything as it may be a married segment. I didn't realize married segments had to apply to SDC as well? Has anyone else heard of this?

Secondly, if I just list as standby for a later flight BOS-CLT, do I need to show up at the airport for my original flight or will I be regarded as a no show? I've done this a few years back but just wanted to check if anything changed

Im PPro for context

TIA for any advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.