Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Changes to the number of segments are not allowed.

If Z inventory becomes available on the nonstop flight, however, you can confirm the change free of charge.

Also, if you don't want to connect through IND, you can same-day confirm standby through another city since you're on a First Class award.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
I believe that restriction only applies to the paid Same-Day Standby product offered to non-elites, though the website is not very clear.

To change the connection city on a confirmed basis, Z must be available on the new flights.

Originally Posted by jetsetter
How does the agent waive the fee for same day confirmed for an EP? Is it automatic or do they have to do something like a manual override?
For an airport agent using native Sabre (basically an LAA agent), they just confirm the new segment and skip the additional step where they go back in the record and collect the charge. No override required.

For an LUS agent using the new Qik overlay, I would imagine there are all sorts of F-keys involved and an override and an overall much longer transaction time.

Also I saw it earlier in the thread, so you cannot change the number of segments when standing by? Or is that just in reference to award tickets?

I'm curious because I'm thinking of booking BOS/DCA and then trying to force a connection in LGA to get more segments. Can I do that via standby or same day change, that is, changing from 1 to 2 segments?
Changing the number of segments is not allowed for Same-Day Flight Change (confirmed), but the standby policy is curiously quiet regarding changing the number of segments, only stipulating that the new routing must be permitted by the fare rules. Also, standby does allow changing arrival airport to a coterminal (for elites only), which is explicitly disallowed by SDFC.

And one more lets say your booked for an early flight and you want to standby later. AA tells you to call to cancel the orig flight. Assuming its a oneway PNR, does it make any difference for the airport to put you on standby for the later flight whether or not you cancelled the itin with reservations or the system cancelled it as a no show especially for the same day? I ask because I don't think the AA app allows you to cancel a later flight, and sometimes hold times are long even as EP. So I'm just wondering if there is any process difference for the airport in adding you to stadnby in that circumstance. Its too bad you can't cancel in the app because often I'll get my boarding pass so I can clear TSA, but if I need to go later, I'd like to be able to cancel it to clear out the held seat/reservation but they don't make it easy without calling... I'm not sure if @AmericanAir on Twitter can help with that?
Interestingly, AA tells you to cancel the original flight and their reservations agents will certainly do so, but if you place yourself on standby for a later flight on the kiosk, your original flight will not be canceled. I used this to my advantage last month when standing by for a later flight because it had much better odds of an upgrade; if the first class cabin filled up, I still had the option just going on my original flight. The flip side is that any remaining flights may have been wiped out when I no-showed for the earlier flight, but it was the last leg of my journey.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Nov 17, 2015 at 3:54 pm Reason: Typo, added some more info
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I believe that restriction only applies to the paid Same-Day Standby product offered to non-elites, though the website is not very clear.

For an airport agent using native Sabre (basically an LAA agent), they just confirm the new segment and skip the additional step where they go back in the record and collect the charge. No override required.

For an LUS agent using the new Qik overlay, I would imagine there are all sorts of F-keys involved and an override and an overall much longer transaction time.

Changing the number of segments is not allowed for Same-Day Flight Change (confirmed), but the standby policy is curiously quiet regarding changing the number of segments, only stipulating that the new routing must be permitted by the fare rules. Also, standby does allow changing destination to a coterminal airport (for elites only, which is explicitly disallowed by SDFC.

Interestingly, AA tells you to cancel the original flight and their reservations agents will certainly do so, but if you place yourself on standby for a later flight on the kiosk, your original flight will not be canceled. I used this to my advantage last month when standing by for a later flight because it had much better odds of an upgrade; if the first class cabin filled up, I still had the option just going on my original flight.
Wow, just amazing info! ^
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I believe that restriction (no change in number of connections) only applies to the paid Same-Day Standby product offered to non-elites, though the website is not very clear. To change the connection city on a confirmed basis, Z must be available on the new flights.

Changing the number of segments is not allowed for Same-Day Flight Change (confirmed), but the standby policy is curiously quiet regarding changing the number of segments, only stipulating that the new routing must be permitted by the fare rules. Also, standby does allow changing arrival airport to a co-terminal (for elites only), which is explicitly disallowed by SDFC.
Just noticed that the AA website info on Same Day Standby and Confirmed Flight change no longer includes any mention of requiring the same number of connections for either CDC or SDSB. My recollection is that as recently as last month this verbiage was there: "no change to number of connections..."

Whether this represents a softening of policy, a web update oversight, or something else I do not know. Anecdotal evidence is that this is a YMMV situation depending on GA familiarity, local station convention, and whether the staffer is LUS or LAA...

It would be good to hear any recent experiences, as I consider the standby and CDC rules to be great benefits when interpreted most liberally...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Just noticed that the AA website info on Same Day Standby and Confirmed Flight change no longer includes any mention of requiring the same number of connections for either CDC or SDSB. My recollection is that as recently as last month this verbiage was there: "no change to number of connections..."
It's still there: "Changes to the number of segments are not allowed."

Are you looking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp or some other page?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Are there any exceptions- published or unofficial- for red eyes? If you are departing at 1 am, can you stand by for a flight at 11 pm (i.e. 2 hours earlier)? I can't find anything like that in the published rules, but maybe I just can't find it.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Trouble with Standby Booked to BWI Trying DCA

Recently I had someone call the tariffs department at AA, and they said that for WAS the allowed co terminals were BWI/DCA/IAD. Also, incidentally, that is the policy at JetBlue.

I booked a ticket BOS/PHL/BWI, and I wanted to stadnby BOS to DCA. I made sure there was no "flight application" restriction in the fare rules for BWI only, and all it said was it must be an AA operated flight.

However, they did not let me standby BOS to DCA. Also EP called tariffs and they told them that the WAS co terminal only included DCA and IAD.

I'm curious how one tariffs agent saw it included BWI and another one did not see BWI.

Similarly if I book a BOS to JFK ticket, what would I need to check to ensure I could standby to LGA? Also is there any place I can look up what are considered the WAS co terminals for purposes of standby?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Are there any exceptions- published or unofficial- for red eyes? If you are departing at 1 am, can you stand by for a flight at 11 pm (i.e. 2 hours earlier)? I can't find anything like that in the published rules, but maybe I just can't find it.
I -think- there was something of that type recently instituted and/or recently reported-- can't quite recall it and with travelingbetter still down can't find out, but I think it was actually posted here originally.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I -think- there was something of that type recently instituted and/or recently reported-- can't quite recall it and with travelingbetter still down can't find out, but I think it was actually posted here originally.
Thanks! I did later find references in the Same Day Confirmed thread that, at least for SDC, you can change to a flight 8 pm or later on the previous day if your flight departs 12 midnight- 2 am. However, with the changing policies due to the merger, I'm uncertain if that's even still the case.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:50 am
Suspended

Thanks! I did later find references in the Same Day Confirmed thread that, at least for SDC, you can change to a flight 8 pm or later on the previous day if your flight departs 12 midnight- 2 am. However, with the changing policies due to the merger, I'm uncertain if that's even still the case.
That's the policy I'm referring to-- and I think it's quite new, so I'd bet it's still in effect.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by PhilWW262
Next weekend I'm flying LAX-JFK overnight then JFK-LHR in the evening - planning to fit in lunch in Manhattan with a friend in between. Now lunch has had to be cancelled as he is away.

I realise that the correct answer is that I now have to buy my own lunch in Manhattan but I'll ask about standby for the morning JFK-LHR.

I'm guessing my best chance is to ask in the JFK lounge when I arrive, but any constructive advice on other options would be appreciated.

I'm PLT and in Y. Thanks,

Phil
Checking you're luggage may be a consideration as well. That could be why they don't allow same day standby for international. If you could get by with carry on only it makes that aspect much easier to deal with.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
$75 charge for standby for Gold?

Would anyone know (1) the best way to address the issue below with AA and (2) what type of compensation is appropriate?

I have a relative who is Gold and was traveling with a non-elite companion. Both arrived at the gate in CLT when the flight was boarding and asked to go standby on the flight (they were both ticketed for a later one). 8 seats were available. The agent said that there was a $75 fee per person, and that the fee applied even to Golds. The agent then closed the flight, leaving the relative and the companion behind.

The relative and the companion took their originally-scheduled flight but incurred some overnight costs that could have been avoided if the agent had let them go standby on the earlier flight.

I'd like to email the Charlotte station manager to ensure that the gate agent is trained and maybe get 5,000 miles for the inconvenience.

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's a sensibly awesome policy adjustment.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
That's a sensibly awesome policy adjustment.
Yes, but -if- it's true, I'd love to be able to find it in writing from AA rather than quoting an internet forum. So far, I haven't been able to find it.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:12 am
Suspended

Yes, but -if- it's true, I'd love to be able to find it in writing from AA rather than quoting an internet forum. So far, I haven't been able to find it.
That's equally true for a lot of "the good stuff."
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Policies did not change on October 17; LAA policies were mostly adopted as they were at the time.

Unfortunately, aa.com doesn't list every nuance, nor full instructions issued agents, so some of what members here share is experience-based, from being informed further of policy nuances by agents, or in some cases access to inside information.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 30, 2015 at 10:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.