Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Last it was explained to me-- and there's every chance this has changed, even though JFK and LGA are MACs (which is definitley different than co-terminals) -- switching between the 2 still will/could trigger re-issue based on the ticket conditions.

This from some documentation (that, again, may or may not be current):

MAC INFORMATION - Multi-airport city (MAC) information

Co-Terminals

Multi-airport cities are not the same as co-terminals.
Co-terminals are two or more nearby cities, considered the same point for the purpose of fare construction only.

Changing from one co-terminal to another can be rerouting if actually changing from one city to another which would require a reissue.
and

Multi Airport Cities Note - Does not apply to AAdvantage
Co-terminals should not be confused with multi-airport cities. Changes, confirmed or standby, from one of these airports to another airport serving the same city may be permitted.

It is not a change of routing unless fare is airport specific, then passenger may not standby. Add collect to an applicable fare for confirmed changes.
and for NYC:
NYC STANDBY - Tariff - Standby policy for NYC area airports

General Information

Due to the fact that there are multiple airports within the New York/New Jersey area, some passengers may wish to standby between the different airports. Once you have determined that the passenger is eligible to standby you can proceed with the specifics on standby within the New York/New Jersey area airports as outlined below. Remember, these exceptions for NYC airports do not apply to/from Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI).

This procedure applies only for travel within the United States or for travel between the United States and Canada. (This includes Web Fares if fare rule allows.)
This does not apply to/from Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI).

Application

AA will allow standby from or to any of the NYC airports, provided fare rules and proper routings are observed:

NYC (JFK/LGA)
to

or HPN or
EWR
It is necessary to determine if the fares for each city were common rated (same amount of money) and had the same fare basis code on the date that original ticket was issued.

If both are the same, AA will only charge the change fee and the passenger will be allowed to standby from the other airport.

-passengers may stand by between LGA and JFK at no additional charge as long as there is not a flight application restriction in the fare rule.)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nitrobass24
spoke with the EP desk and she told me that since the change this summer is was based purely on your fare rules.

Apparently my ticket is not allowed at all
My wifes ticket is allowed to do this but only JFK & LGA are permissable not EWR.
Are those the fare rules from your ticket or your wife's?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hartlogan
Are those the fare rules from your ticket or your wife's?
Those are rules for my ticket.

I cant seem to find the basis/rules for my wifes ticket on expert flyer.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I take it SDC and SDSB are not possible on flight to/from Canada? Above references 48 states and online general terms on the AA.com site mention just LHR as the only foreign destination. Can anyone confirm if Canada (and Mexico) are excluded from n0-fee SDC and SDSB for an ExecPlat?

Also, appears no more co-terminal so since I am arriving into JFK, I must fly out of JFK, LGA is no longer possible on SDC but is on SDSB.
Canada is included but Mexico is not.

Co-terminals are only allowed if permitted by the fare rules and if the passenger qualifies for free standby either by fare or by status.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: HGP: Diamond, SPG:Gold, HH:Gold, AA: Plt, Copa: Plt
A question, one that is not clear form the Standby page. I'm AA Plat, traveling with my wife and daughter, who are regular AA members. Are we all able to same-day Standby for a LATER flight?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:42 am

Has anything change in regards to standby on flights to MEX? Travelling tomorrow DFW-MEX and would be great if I am allowed to standby on an earlier flight.

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by frfather
A question, one that is not clear form the Standby page. I'm AA Plat, traveling with my wife and daughter, who are regular AA members. Are we all able to same-day Standby for a LATER flight?
Yes if you're on the same PNR, but it may require additional agent or supervisor action to permit your wife and daughter to standby with you.

Originally Posted by dlorenzo
Has anything change in regards to standby on flights to MEX? Travelling tomorrow DFW-MEX and would be great if I am allowed to standby on an earlier flight.
Standby is not permitted to Mexico.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's the policy I'm referring to-- and I think it's quite new, so I'd bet it's still in effect.
FYI I tried doing this last week and failed. I was scheduled on a flight between midnight and 1am and tried to switch to a flight a few hours earlier on the calendar day before. Called the EXP line three times to try to switch to a flight with available E inventory, they all said no (two of them put me on an extensive hold to go research further.) I even tried doing it at the airport at the check in counters the day of and also got rejected. It's possible had I gone through security and found a friendly gate agent maybe they would have put me on standby, but I wasn't wanting to get on the earlier flight so badly that I was willing to sit around at the airport and wait an extra few hours if I failed. I was also already upgraded on my existing itin and knew if I was standby and not SDC the chances of being upgraded if someone did help me change were a lot lower since all confirmed passengers on the standby list would get upgraded first.

Anyone know figure out what the official policy is?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
FYI I tried doing this last week and failed. I was scheduled on a flight between midnight and 1am and tried to switch to a flight a few hours earlier on the calendar day before. Called the EXP line three times to try to switch to a flight with available E inventory, they all said no (two of them put me on an extensive hold to go research further.) I even tried doing it at the airport at the check in counters the day of and also got rejected. It's possible had I gone through security and found a friendly gate agent maybe they would have put me on standby, but I wasn't wanting to get on the earlier flight so badly that I was willing to sit around at the airport and wait an extra few hours if I failed. I was also already upgraded on my existing itin and knew if I was standby and not SDC the chances of being upgraded if someone did help me change were a lot lower since all confirmed passengers on the standby list would get upgraded first.

It has to be the same calendar day.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by lightbulbs

You were eligible to SDFC to a flight departing between 8 PM and midnight on the previous calendar day (but same evening). The airport agent should check the policy.

What I'm not certain of is if your upgrade would've carried over or if you would've had to be confirmed in coach and then placed on the upgrade list again. I believe that the cleared upgrade stops SDFC from being offered as an option on AA.com or the kiosk.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
You were eligible to SDFC to a flight departing between 8 PM and midnight on the previous calendar day (but same evening). The airport agent should check the policy.

What I'm not certain of is if your upgrade would've carried over or if you would've had to be confirmed in coach and then placed on the upgrade list again. I believe that the cleared upgrade stops SDFC from being offered as an option on AA.com or the kiosk.
So both the phone agents and the airport check in agent checked "the policy" and came back saying same calendar day is the policy and refused to confirm me on the flight with available E. Is there somewhere I could point them to? There still seems to be confusion (even on FT) over whether the 8pm night before is official policy or not.

I'm sure SDFC policy is to be confirmed in coach when E is available and then getting added to the waitwist with the original timestamp. When one has already been upgraded I know the self service SDFC can't figure it out but I've never had problems calling in to change to other flights available on the same calendar day. But even the agents couldn't confirm on the flight before midnight and they said there was no way to override.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Any success recently of standing by for co-terminals?

Has anybody had any luck recently with a gate agent letting them standby for a coterminal airport? I'm ticketed from LAX-SJC but would now greatly prefer LAX-SFO. The EXP desk won't allow it but they said you might get someone at the airport who will let you do it. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I was involuntarily sent to a co-terminal today due to a prior flight cancellation.

I've found that if there is a delay (weather or otherwise), it's usually not a problem to get sent to a co-terminal if you ask (sometimes multiple times).
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I was involuntarily sent to a co-terminal today due to a prior flight cancellation.

I've found that if there is a delay (weather or otherwise), it's usually not a problem to get sent to a co-terminal if you ask (sometimes multiple times).
Thanks, I've noticed the same thing about being able to change flights when there are delays

Assuming there are no delays though, I'm wondering if I have a shot at all at doing standby for SFO instead of SJC
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:38 pm
E55

My experience has been... if there's ANYTHING going on with your scheduled flight, a gate agent in the right mood will give you a chance.

"There's been delays all morning into SFO, and it's important that I get rolling to my destination on time. San Jose has been looking good... could I standby with you?"

Help the gate agent by giving them a reason to say yes and feel good about getting you to your destination.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 am Reason: Removed manual signature

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.