Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:10 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
It's same calendar day as my original flight.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I requested an upgrade for my flight tomorrow afternoon and it was confirmed.

Now I want to standby on the redeye tonight but aa.com gives me no options. I'm wondering if it's because the upgrade was confirmed for my original flight already.

I've called AA twice now and none of them have been able to resolve. One even transferred me to aa.com tech support and they couldn't assist either.

Anyone have any ideas? The flights are wide open for the redeye and other earlier flights tomorrow.
Your upgrade was granted for your scheduled flight. When you stand by you lose your upgrade for the new flight. You must clear the standby list first (unfortunately, that list is processed after the upgrade request list), and after that if there is a seat available and the gate agent deems they have time, you could get processed for the upgrade.

If you just want to stand by for the redeye and the upgrade is of no consequence, that's different.

We will move your query to the existing thread. /Modertor
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your upgrade was granted for your scheduled flight. When you stand by you lose your upgrade for the new flight. You must clear the standby list first (unfortunately, that list is processed after the upgrade request list), and after that if there is a seat available and the gate agent deems they have time, you could get processed for the upgrade.

If you just want to stand by for the redeye and the upgrade is of no consequence, that's different.

We will move your query to the existing thread. /Modertor
Thanks but that's not my issue/question. I don't want/care about the upgrade at this point. I just want to be able to standby for coach for the redeye. But AA is saying I can't.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
The website is notorious for not providing options for SDSB, even when E bucket shows plenty of availability. Don't believe it when you are told be the website the "no options are available" or whatever wording is used - there is very likely availability.

Go to the airport and they will have no problem putting you on standby for the flight of your choice.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:02 pm

I went to the airport and had no issues getting on the standby list for the redeye. I was cleared and had a whole MCE row to myself. The plane was maybe 50% full.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:22 am

$75 fee for SDS

Platinum here. When I flew a couple weeks ago I tried to go standby on an earlier flight (didn't get on any online list, just showed up at the airport) and I got a ticket but I was charged $75. The Flyertalk rules say no $75 fee for elites but the Gate Agent told me that was the new rules. Confused-- should I have been charged? Was the GA making this a SDFC instead of a SDS?

Apologize if this was covered earlier, I didnt find it.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
The website is notorious for not providing options for SDSB, even when E bucket shows plenty of availability. Don't believe it when you are told be the website the "no options are available" or whatever wording is used - there is very likely availability.

Go to the airport and they will have no problem putting you on standby for the flight of your choice.
AA's standby policy isn't dependent on E inventory. The issue is that the upgrade cleared and AA.com won't offer same-day changes once that happens.

Originally Posted by Lyonnaise
Platinum here. When I flew a couple weeks ago I tried to go standby on an earlier flight (didn't get on any online list, just showed up at the airport) and I got a ticket but I was charged $75. The Flyertalk rules say no $75 fee for elites but the Gate Agent told me that was the new rules. Confused-- should I have been charged? Was the GA making this a SDFC instead of a SDS?

Apologize if this was covered earlier, I didnt find it.
AA's standby policy has not changed. Either the agent charged you for SDFC or was a confused LUS agent as there have been reports of them attempting to charge elites for standby.

What does your receipt say?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Same day standby for AA Platinum

I am flying to Chicago direct tomorrow morning at 5.50 am. There is a 5 am direct flight as well. I have a Platinum status and was wondering what would be the best and easiest way to get wait listed for tomorrow’s flight without paying a fee?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
I am flying to Chicago direct tomorrow morning at 5.50 am. There is a 5 am direct flight as well. I have a Platinum status and was wondering what would be the best and easiest way to get wait listed for tomorrow’s flight without paying a fee?
Goto the airport and do it via kiosk or check in agent or gate agent.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
Goto the airport and do it via kiosk or check in agent or gate agent.
I have done that before but the earliest I can get to the airport is 4.30 am and usually this flight is pretty booked. Can this be done online or on phone and how far in advance?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
I've found waitlisting for same-day standby online to be hit-or-miss, more often the latter as it almost always just says that no options are available. If it lets you, I believe you're able to at T-24.

Phone agents aren't able to to put you on the list for standby, so to reiterate the above post, the best way to do this is to go to the airport.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:54 am

I have done that before but the earliest I can get to the airport is 4.30 am and usually this flight is pretty booked. Can this be done online or on phone and how far in advance?
You can sometimes get on the standby list online, up to 24 hours before the flight. The website seems to only allow standby on flights that have SDC availability though. I don't know if that is by design or a bug.

Your position on the standby list depends on status and time of check-in, not what time you were placed on the list. Go check in online immediately if you have not already.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
You can easily do it at the airport. Do keep in mind that there will be EXP and CK members ahead of you on the waiting list so getting on the list online versus the airport won't really improve your chances.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
You can easily do it at the airport. Do keep in mind that there will be EXP and CK members ahead of you on the waiting list so getting on the list online versus the airport won't really improve your chances.
Awesome, thanks! I have done it at airports before, but did not realize standby was based on status. That probably explains why a couple of weeks ago in less than 20 minutes I dropped from #2 on standby to #3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.