Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by owflyer
Have any Elites been able to take a NS flight STBY between the same city pair recently, with a connection booked? Is there any discretion at the airport/gate?
I *believe* GAs still have discretion... the only data point I have is when I missed my NS SFO-ORD flight, and I begged a GA to let me on SFO-LAX so I could do SFO-LAX-ORD, as the last SFO-ORD flight of the night was oversold. You might have to have a good reason. I've always been shot down asking at the AC or over the EP line.

Also, it seems that to make this work, the GA will endorse as INVOL --- at least that's what happened to me last time. So probably you better have a good reason and be EXTRA nice to the GA.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by no2chem
I *believe* GAs still have discretion... the only data point I have is when I missed my NS SFO-ORD flight, and I begged a GA to let me on SFO-LAX so I could do SFO-LAX-ORD, as the last SFO-ORD flight of the night was oversold. You might have to have a good reason. I've always been shot down asking at the AC or over the EP line.

Also, it seems that to make this work, the GA will endorse as INVOL --- at least that's what happened to me last time. So probably you better have a good reason and be EXTRA nice to the GA.

Thx for the report, I had a similar conversation (did not need at the time) with a GA in MIA today. So it appears there is a YMMV.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am not sure how that is the case here... The OP would have still bought the more expensive ticket due to scheduling constraints regardless of ease of being able to change flights.

AA would have seen the same $ for $ revenue from the customer whether they forced the OP to connect via ORD or allowed the customer to change to the earlier DFW nonstop at no cost.
They would have seen *more* revenue if they had allowed the SFDC or even allowed me to buy the quoted last-minute ticket on the non-stop.

Don't certain fare classes allow standy for non-elites? Wouldn't AA sell more of those if standby were more useful?

This whole policy seems like a way to reduce revenue while also pissing off one's supposed target customers. It makes no sense on any level.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
They would have seen *more* revenue if they had allowed the SFDC or even allowed me to buy the quoted last-minute ticket on the non-stop.

Don't certain fare classes allow standy for non-elites? Wouldn't AA sell more of those if standby were more useful?

This whole policy seems like a way to reduce revenue while also pissing off one's supposed target customers. It makes no sense on any level.
Yes - if a customer buys a choice plus fare they can take advantage of SDFC/SDS for free as well as avoid change fees (still have to pay fare difference). Those on fully flexible fares (refundable tickets) are not bound to the SDS/SDFC program and can pretty much change to whatever flight they want as long as routing rules permit and there is Y inventory.

This might be something that is partially inhibiting AA's ability to offer a relaxed SDFC/SDS policy to elites.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:42 am

As discussed, the latest limitation on Elite Standby rules really BLOWS!

Specifically:

• Changes to origin and destination airports are not permitted.
  • Changes to the number of segments are not allowed.
  • Changes from a through flight to connecting or nonstop flights are not allowed.

I regularly originate in the Caribbean with last minute travel to the West Coast and Hawaii. Previously I would encounter last minute reward space with connections like MIA/STL/LAX or MIA/LAS/LAX and MIA/DFW/SFO that would often require an overnight at the midpoint city from MIA.

The forced overnight never became an issue with Elite status as one could easily go STBY NS MIA/LAX or MIA/SFO and even onward to HNL or OGG on the same day if starting early enough.

Now the Elite benefit is almost worthless as NS last minute inventory at the lower reward levels are rarely offered and the lowest fares have forced overnights with no chance of changing.

Has anyone had any dialogue with AA about amending the rules for Elites? I may as well spend/connect through IAH as it is easier to get West.
What a shame. EXP is virtually useless. AA can forget to lure business travelers or even F/J purchases as UA/DL allows way better SDC/SDS policies.

I would remember that until this improves, I would either:

1. Get the AA domestic ticket with no expectation of SDC/SDS
2. Avoid AA as much as possible.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
What a shame. EXP is virtually useless. AA can forget to lure business travelers or even F/J purchases as UA/DL allows way better SDC/SDS policies.

I would remember that until this improves, I would either:

1. Get the AA domestic ticket with no expectation of SDC/SDS
2. Avoid AA as much as possible.

AA has made that calculation and has decided that it will make more money even if loses your business over this issue. AA cares about making money a lot but cares about any particular passenger very little.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:37 pm
STG

Programs: AA Plat, Avis PP, Marriott / SPG Plat, WN ALP

Thx for the report, I had a similar conversation (did not need at the time) with a GA in MIA today. So it appears there is a YMMV.
Tried to change to a YYZ-DCA NS recently (original itin was YYZ-LGA-DCA). AC front desk told me they couldn't do it and neither could the GA. Next time I'll just try the GA. Thanks owflyer and no2chem for the info!

Last edited by STG; Jul 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm Reason: Adding quote.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by millionmiler
AA has made that calculation and has decided that it will make more money even if loses your business over this issue. AA cares about making money a lot but cares about any particular passenger very little.
How?

This policy *reduces* the incentive for a non-elite to purchase a standy-eligible fare, and it reduces SFDC revenue.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by seawolf
IME, aa.com will only show standby option for flights which have CFC availability. If "E" not available, then you can not get on standby list online and will have to get on the list at the airport.
I've seen the option for standby only come up for me, but for non-elites standby will not be offered if SDFC is available.

It's possible to do it without reissuing the ticket, although it won't be for much longer. Reissuing the ticket as an INVOL for a voluntary change can get the GA in hot water if it's caught, so the likelihood of this succeeding multiple times is very low.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Finished a trip and tried 3 segments (A-B-C-A) for standby. Not a frequent AA flier, here is my experience:

- requested online standby the night before, no fee based on Oneworld Elite status. Woke up next morning and check, no news. Called AA service desk to see if I should go to the airport earlier, they told me only can confirm at the gate. It was like 4+ hours before my confirmed flight so decided to go back to sleep.

Seems there is no point for the online standby request if only can be confirmed at the gate. Not a compliant as to be confirm at the gate is my understanding of the meaning of "standby" - only if there is seats available after confirmed passengers boarded.

Not finding any info how the standby list is created? My experience seems elite status trump time to be added on the list...

Also noticed once I made the request, I can not make any changes. Pretty rigid system.

- Standby request is leg by leg, not the entire trip. That seems designed to work well with the AA rule that it is not allow to change connection. Though this is not helpful if want to reach the destination sooner by hoping on an earlier flight for the first leg with successful standby but not the second leg.

I arrived at the airport 2+ hour before my confirmed flight. I requested standby at the gate of the standby flight for the entire trip (A-B-C) but was given a card only for the first leg. Later I was confirmed for the flight and was given a boarding pass for the first leg.

First time for me so not quite sure what to expect (my experience before with other airlines was always confirm the whole trip at the origination city).

Later I checked my mobile apps and looks like she did put me on the standby list of the second leg. But I saw I was on the standby for the next available flight at the connection city, which I will not make it as it would have taken off before I landed there. When I arrived at the connection city, I checked the mobile apps again and saw I was put on to the next available flight automatically. I walked to the gate for that flight, saw my name was the first on the standby list, and later I was successfully made it.

- Not all gate agents familiar with the standby rule, surprise. I requested standby at the gate for my return (direct) flight home. I was told it is $75 fee. I told the agent it should be free for Oneworld Elite and I have successfully done this before without fee. So the agent checked with another agent and the advise was "if the computer allows", which was done successfully and I was on the list.

Shortly after, I was paged so I went to see what's up. The gate agent informed me her supervisor asked her to remove me from the standby list because the rule does not allow that so she had to follow the order. I pull up the AA standby rule and asked to discuss this with her supervisor. After showed her the rules, the supervisor walked away and I waited a long time, then the boarding started. Didn't want to bother the gate agents while they were busy processing the passengers for boarding. Once the flight almost finished boarding, I went to check. The gate agent said her supervisor just called her to put me back to the standby list as an "exception" because there are some "mis-communication" of the rules.

The supervisor had some printouts about some document when she came out to meet me, though she didn't show it to me what's the document is about. Per the conversation with her, the document does not include Oneworld elite for the fee exemption... She thinks the rule from the AA website is out-dated (as she just printed her document).

Few days later I was on AA website so I checked the rules again and saw she might be confused with the SDC rule.

I still don't understand what the standby fee is for if still need to wait till the last minute at the gate, and how that is different from the same day change if there is a fee involved.

Happy to report my experience.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
What a sorry state for the airline if your hassled that much, put on and then off again the list.

As for the standby fee, for nonelites, it is charged only if the pax is eventually confirmed on to the desired standby flight. This would be confirmed typically at the gate. AA chrges the standby fee if the pax gets on but they were not able to do same day confirmed which also has the same fee.

Of course in irregular operations, the same day confirmed and standby fees are routinely waived. Also you are coded on the standby list in a different way with a higher priority if you are tagged as an irregular operations impacted pax.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by wendySFO

Not finding any info how the standby list is created? My experience seems elite status trump time to be added on the list...
The first criteria is whether the standby is voluntary (pax preference) vs involuntary (irrops). A no status passenger who has missed a connection due to a delayed inbound will trump a top tier elite who just wants to get home early.

After that comes status.

Within each status group, I believe the tiebreaker is check in time - not standby request time.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or have left anything out.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Change to Reval/Reissue Procedure

ThreeJulietTango,
Is there a change coming where for INVOL they won't just revalidate the ticket? Is this part of QIK instead of native Sabre?

Also I don't see how AA or anyone else routinely and practically can tell say if INVOL is used for a vol change, I mean they have some many flights and so many pax, you would have to hire an army of auditors at a large expense, for what? There are so many weird situations happening out in the wild. I mean what if the pax missed their flight because of a miscon on another unrelated PNR that was also AA/oneworld.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jetsetter

As for the standby fee, for nonelites, it is charged only if the pax is eventually confirmed on to the desired standby flight. This would be confirmed typically at the gate. AA chrges the standby fee if the pax gets on but they were not able to do same day confirmed which also has the same fee.
My point is if a non-elite needs to pay $75 to take a chance to be on a standby flight, why not just pay $75 to get a confirmation 24 before using the SDC.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:19 pm

WendySFO,
You got it, they would only do this 99% of the time if SDC were not available. Remember SDC books in to E class, and if the flight is full, E class will not be offered at all for elites or nonelites. A certain varying number of seats have to be open before E class is made available. So lets say coach holds 100 people and its booked to 95, likely E0, so standby would be the only option for even an Exec Platinum all the way to a nonelite pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.