Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only

Next weekend I'm flying LAX-JFK overnight then JFK-LHR in the evening - planning to fit in lunch in Manhattan with a friend in between. Now lunch has had to be cancelled as he is away.

I realise that the correct answer is that I now have to buy my own lunch in Manhattan but I'll ask about standby for the morning JFK-LHR.

I'm guessing my best chance is to ask in the JFK lounge when I arrive, but any constructive advice on other options would be appreciated.

I'm PLT and in Y. Thanks,

Phil
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by PhilWW262
Next weekend I'm flying LAX-JFK overnight then JFK-LHR in the evening - planning to fit in lunch in Manhattan with a friend in between. Now lunch has had to be cancelled as he is away.

I realise that the correct answer is that I now have to buy my own lunch in Manhattan but I'll ask about standby for the morning JFK-LHR.

I'm guessing my best chance is to ask in the JFK lounge when I arrive, but any constructive advice on other options would be appreciated.
My advice would be to attempt a same-day change to a later LAX-JFK flight, one that perhaps leaves the following morning rather than a red-eye that night. This could cut down your layover at JFK to something more palatable. I believe that it's unlikely you'll be able to change your JFK-LHR flight.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by Microwave
My advice would be to attempt a same-day change to a later LAX-JFK flight, one that perhaps leaves the following morning rather than a red-eye that night. This could cut down your layover at JFK to something more palatable. I believe that it's unlikely you'll be able to change your JFK-LHR flight.
I would probably opt for a day in NYC in preference to an extra night in LA (especially as I am hopeful of a sticker upgrade!) but thanks very much for the creative option. Cheers!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Microwave
But would not the next day mean a change fee and reprice. I'd say to the Poster relax at the JFK AC and shower and change before your flight to LHR. The AC staff won't do anything with your reservation but it would not hurt to see if you can't get a GA to have sympathy on your situation and go standby even those its not allowed on International. Last year I saw a GA allow a late arriving pax that had missed his original flight to LAX to board (technically she should have required him to pay a change fee and reprice). The guy had asked nicely, offered to pay whatever fee, but the GA responded that she would just give him a BP for the flight.

The JFK ACs tend to be quite from about 9AM through mid afternoon. The OP should be able to get in a nap.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
But would not the next day mean a change fee and reprice.
No, as long as you're within 12 hours of the flight you're trying to change to. For example, if you're on the 11:45 PM departure from LAX-JFK, and you want to change to the 7 AM departure the next morning, you can start checking for E inventory as early as 7 PM that night, and call to snag it if it exists.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Does anyone have experience with MIA-CUN on same day standby? Two calls to the EXP desk have resulted in mixed opinions.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Is this still the case? Back in Summer 2010, I was travelling BOS-JFK-LHR. I checked bags in BOS and proceeded to the AC. The AAngle checking me in noticed me back tracking and said would I like to go on the BOS-LHR direct flight. I said yes. She clicked away and said something along the lines of that because BOS-JFK was Eagle and the checked bags go somewhere else she couldn't do anything.

Next week I'm travelling DUB-LHR-ORD and was hoping I could change to the DUB-ORD direct flight. I'll get to DUB early and pop by the AA/Servisair desk to see if it's possible.

Has anyone had success on going standby lately?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
Back in Summer 2010, I was travelling BOS-JFK-LHR. I checked bags in BOS and proceeded to the AC. The [AAngel] checking me in noticed me back tracking and said would I like to go on the BOS-LHR direct flight.
Some of the agents in BOS are great and will proactively notice this kind of thing and try to help you out. A few years ago, one kindly offered to put me on a BOS-LHR nonstop, eliminating my connection in ORD.

AFAIK, this is simply an agent exercising his/her discretion to move passengers around, rather than any kind of standby.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I will add, however, that there are "standby lists" on the boards at the gate for int'l flights. I believe that many on those lists are non-revs, though, who technically are on standby depending on whether they book in advance or go NRSA.

The above situation, though, looks more like essentially a free CFC than a standby since you aren't actually standing by and waiting for the GA to clear you.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Can anyone tell me why Mexico City (MEX) is the only city in Mexico that does not allow you to standby for same day flights from the US, while all other Mexico cities do allow for standby on the same day from the US? Why is MEX the only one? Seems odd!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Can anyone tell me why Mexico City (MEX) is the only city in Mexico that does not allow you to standby for same day flights from the US, while all other Mexico cities do allow for standby on the same day from the US? Why is MEX the only one? Seems odd!
The answer is "because." Really

Standby is not allowed for international flights. According to the AA definition (used elsewhere as well), Mexico is considered domestic (hence standby allowed), except Mexico City, which is international (hence no standby allowed).

See, I told you that the reason was simply "because."

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by brp

Standby is not allowed for international flights. According to the AA definition (used elsewhere as well), Mexico is considered domestic (hence standby allowed), except Mexico City, which is international (hence no standby allowed).

Cheers.
I hear you, things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm........
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by brp
Mexico is considered domestic (hence standby allowed), except Mexico City, which is international (hence no standby allowed).
I knew there was some exception for MEX but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for the reminder. Similarly, is AC access offered for those without status or membership flying in F to MEX? Or is it J? And are 500 mile upgrades valid to MEX?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

I believe MEX has the same odd exemption in regards to usage rights to the Admirals Club for PLATS and EXPLATS. For everywhere else you fly to in Mexico, you are not allowed status based access to Admirals Club (just like domestic flights)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I knew there was some exception for MEX but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for the reminder. Similarly, is AC access offered for those without status or membership flying in F to MEX? Or is it J? And are 500 mile upgrades valid to MEX?
Originally Posted by panjabi
I believe MEX has the same odd exemption in regards to usage rights to the Admirals Club for PLATS and EXPLATS. For everywhere else you fly to in Mexico, you are not allowed status based access to Admirals Club (just like domestic flights)
Once you accept that Mexico is domestic while MEX is international, everything else is consistent throughout the program, AFAIK. There are no weirdnesses other than the original definition

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.