Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by brp
Once you accept that Mexico is domestic while MEX is international, everything else is consistent throughout the program, AFAIK.
Easy enough to remember - thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:32 pm

question dear friends

i booked my father in law with AA award GRU-JFK-LAX, can he stand by on the GRU-LAX nonstop?

Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by shas12
question dear friends

i booked my father in law with AA award GRU-JFK-LAX, can he stand by on the GRU-LAX nonstop?

Thank you
AA doesn't allow standby on international flights.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
About to start a LAX-PTY MR, to assure I get over 2 MM LT this year. To get the best fare, I booked LAX-BNA-MIA-PTY, with the expectation of getting on one of the three nightly LAX-MIA nonstops
2 Angeles were unable to put me on the standby list, ended up calling the tariff desk, were told that it was mot possible with my ticket. I find this strange, as others have reported success standing by for different domestic legs of an international flight.
I was hoping to catch an earlier MIA-LAX Thursday evening - will I have the same difficulties?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
No Same Day standby for you b/c thru to FCO? huh?

So I'm checkin on a very full MIA-FCO tomorrow. MIA-JFK in code A and JFK-FCO in J.

I called to see what I need to do to standby for the morning flight which is wide open, plenty of seats in both first and coach. I'm willing to fly either just to get me up there earlier and not worry about my connection.

They are telling me, even though I have status, (and so in online checkin) that with my coded ticket I cannot standby. They said I can go to the airport and maybe they can do something but not expect them to be able to put me on the earlier flight even with empty seats. But did say the airports have different accesses to be able to do thing. But he blamed it on that my ticket is a thru ticket I'm not changing the JFK to FCO at all. So whats the big deal?

Do you think I should show up at the airport early or not?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not eligible for either SDC or SDSB because you are on an international itinerary. Thus, a change -- depending on the specific fare terms -- is likely to be $300 + fare difference.

If you go to MIA early for the earlier flight, you may tweak the heartstrings of an agent and have one or both aspects of the change waived. There is no predicting and there is nothing you can do other than to go and politely ask.

It's a gift if they do it.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're flying an international itinerary, and AA's fare rules generally (perhaps always) prohibit standby on such trips.

I've had some success standing by for earlier domestic connecting flights at the end of my international trip, but I've been shot down by the agents when trying to stand by for earlier domestic legs on the outbound portion of my trip.

Should you go to the airport early? Who knows? Good luck.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:41 pm

wow, sounds like its unlikely. So I guess I'll just hope my noon flight is timely and weather is fine. That is kind of crazy though. If I wasn't checking bags I would go and chance it. But not checking three bags.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
When I have done SAN-LAX-LHR, I have been able to go on stand by for the SAN-LAX leg a couple of times. In one occasion when the flight was late, as I saw the United flight getting ready to leave, I asked the GA if she could put me on that one, she said yes after a phone call to the United GA and was about to change me to that United flight but then the Eagle flight suddenly solved its mx issue and I just decided to stay on the eagle flight.
I didn't even know it was possible, I just asked since it did not hurt to ask.

GAs can be powerful.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Its 10 pm. I'm still packing. As much as I fly, the percentage of times I have delays are minimal, yet, I just have a bad feeling about tomorrows connection.
I'm also pretty sure now that I think about it, I've done standbys on other international connections on the way home.

You know, those afternoon thunder storms in Miami and those union workers not getting wet loading bags - I have had to wait on them. I've resolved myself, mostly because of the comments I've read here, not to even try for the early flight. I've set up some notifications about my incoming flight. So far everything looks okay for my MIA-JFK flight.

I'll be here b**t**ng if I miss my connection for sure.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No Same Day standby for you b/c thru to FCO? huh?

YMMV on standby and YMMV on delays from MIA thunderstorms. I flew MIA-JFK last two Thursdays. The first time delay due to ATC in NYC. Switched to LGA.

Yesterday also had some thunderstorms in MIA but no effect on MIA-JFK.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trekker954

You know, those afternoon thunder storms in Miami and those union workers not getting wet loading bags - I have had to wait on them.
* Have you ever loaded bags before? I've done it one time and it's hard work, even if you're in good shape.

* With thunderstorms comes lightning. Getting luggage loaded and avoiding flight delays is nice but having someone die or be seriously injured so you can make your connection on time would be abhorrent. This is not a union thing. The AF will stop nearly all outdoor activity when lightning has been spotted within 5 miles of a base. It's pretty much the only sane thing to do.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/index.htm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trekker954
Its 10 pm. I'm still packing. As much as I fly, the percentage of times I have delays are minimal, yet, I just have a bad feeling about tomorrows connection.
I'm also pretty sure now that I think about it, I've done standbys on other international connections on the way home.

I'll be here b**t**ng if I miss my connection for sure.
if you didn't like the connection time, why did you not just book the itinerary with a longer connection time.

Thousands of people travel each day and make their connections with no problems

If there is a problem with the MIA-JFK service such that will not be able to make the connection, there are plenty of options for the airline to rebook onto such as MIA-MAD-FCO or MIA-LON-FCO or failing that plenty of options via London fron JFK

If you are actually booked in J, it would seem likely that the fare would allow rebooking without penalty. Same day change isn't offered for business class/1st class anyway even for domestic itineraries

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 3, 2014 at 8:49 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
if you didn't like the connection time, why did you not just book the itinerary with a longer connection time.
Yawn predictable.

I would try for the earlier flight on standby.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Yawn predictable.
Its a perfectly reasonable question; why book the flight if wanting a different one

If it is, as mentioned, a J ticket, then it should be simply changeable anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.