Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I've stood by on many award tickets out of DCA and have always been allowed to standby with no fee. That said, I was an elite when doing this. Generally, phone agents and AA twitter do not seem to know the real rules for standby when it comes to award tickets. However, gate agents always seem to be willing to put you on the standby list.
Thanks for the info. Were you flying in economy for these award ticket experiences? I've had no issues going standby when flying on J/F award tickets but I don't have any experience doing this when flying Y (and unfortunately I have no status).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Question for the group. Are there any stand-by options at all for an itinerary sold by and marketed Finnair (AY)? I've got the following coming up and would like to get on an earlier flight out of MIA:

MIA-ORD-HEL

I have oneworld emerald status if that matters. From the wiki it looks like this would be a solid no, but wondering if anyone has any other experiences.

Also if it looks as if my first flight will cause a misconnect, will AA move me to an earlier MIA-ORD flight or just route thru LHR or otherwise?

Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
standby international on AA - not possible?

My apologies if this is covered somewhere already, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

I have a confirmed reservation on AA from Narita to LAX on Aug 3rd. But my schedule has changed and I can now leave anytime between 7/29 and 8/3. In the past, on Singapore Airlines, I was able to just turn up at Narita for an earlier flight, pay $100 and get a standby seat if one is available. BUT - that is not possible on AA? Could someone please confirm, or dispute, my understanding?

Thanks very much.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Standby isn't offered on your route.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you're asking about turning up at NRT a few days earlier to catch that day's NRT-LAX flight, AA will be happy to put you on it for just the change fee and fare difference.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Been this way forever, particularly annoying when traveling LHR-JFK and wanting to get home a few hours early- if possible- but not willing/able to spend stupid money to make it happen.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kavade
My apologies if this is covered somewhere already, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

I have a confirmed reservation on AA from Narita to LAX on Aug 3rd. But my schedule has changed and I can now leave anytime between 7/29 and 8/3. In the past, on Singapore Airlines, I was able to just turn up at Narita for an earlier flight, pay $100 and get a standby seat if one is available. BUT - that is not possible on AA? Could someone please confirm, or dispute, my understanding?

Thanks very much.
No worries. We have merged your query into the existing thread.

As the Wikipost at the top of the page states:

Standby is not allowed for international flights*.

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:30 pm

Well, yes, JJeffrey that is exactly what I am asking. But other people seem to say No, not possible. If you disagree, could you please tell me why, or point me toward info that says I can do that?

I really really do not want to lose several days of vacation because my employer changed my work schedule at the last minute. This often happens, and I may just start using Singapore because they do allow changes if you are at the airport and they have a vacant seat. As you said, it is just the fare difference plus a change fee, which used to $100 for Singapore. I live close to Narita so checking each day is not a big deal.

But...please tell me why you think I can do that when others say I can't?

Thanks much.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kavade
Well, yes, JJeffrey that is exactly what I am asking. But other people seem to say No, not possible. If you disagree, could you please tell me why, or point me toward info that says I can do that?

I really really do not want to lose several days of vacation because my employer changed my work schedule at the last minute. This often happens, and I may just start using Singapore because they do allow changes if you are at the airport and they have a vacant seat. As you said, it is just the fare difference plus a change fee, which used to $100 for Singapore. I live close to Narita so checking each day is not a big deal.

But...please tell me why you think I can do that when others say I can't?

Thanks much.
You can't standby but, as JJeffrey points out, you can change your ticket. I'm not sure how close to departure you can do it and you will have to pay the change fee (as much as $500 on international tickets). If you are changing the outbound or a one-way then it will be repriced at the current fare and you must pay the difference. If you are changing the return flight(s) then, if the same fare class is available, you only pay the change fee.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:24 pm

OK. I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Honors Diamond
Executive Platinum refused standby?

I'm writing this note from the Miami Flagship Lounge, where the excellent staff are working through my record locator to determine why a gate agent refused to allow me to standby onto an earlier flight from MIA to DCA. Flight 1989 had one extra first class seat open when I arrived to the gate 15 minutes prior to boarding, which gate agent Fabio confirmed. However, he claimed that my ticket did not allow me to same-day change or standby onto the earlier flight despite Executive Platinum members clearly having the benefit. I travel through Miami every two weeks, and frequently Standby for earlier flights on my return from Panama City when the flight is early. Rarely, an especially helpful and customer service-minded agent will simply confirm the change (even into a higher fare category if only F is available).

Upon being told by the gate agent that I would have to pay a $200 change fee, I hustled over to the Flagship Lounge, and the helpful agents there stated that he was simply incorrect. The Flagship agents put me onto the list for the open seat (and let me know I was #1 on the list), and told me to run back to the gate since boarding had started. During my run over, Fabio apparently received a call from the lounge telling them to hold the seat from clearing an upgrade, and (I later learned) he yelled at the Flagship Lounge agents over the phone to remove me from the Standby list, claiming I needed to pay extra fees. At the gate now for a second time, he told me I was taken off the list and would not get onto the flight. When I pressed that there was also a weather waiver in place that would allow a free same day change to DCA, he refused to assist any further. I am very dismayed and confused to be refused Standby on an earlier flight as a paid business class and Executive Platinum member. The Flagship Lounge agents were very professional and apologetic, and they encouraged me to write into Customer Service for appropriate compensation.

Does anyone know what was up here? For context, I was traveling on a discount business "I" fare connecting International to Domestic, but this is definitely the first time I've encountered this one. Do certain fares cancel out your elite benefits? Wouldn't the weather waiver still apply?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I may be misremembering, but I thought that this facility did not apply to international itineraries

If there was a waiver to allow changes without penalty, that would need to be processed by reservations wouldn't it?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I may be misremembering, but I thought that this facility did not apply to international itineraries
I think the OP needs to clarify if he was transiting from Panama City, FL (ECP) or Panama City, Panama (PTY).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aztimm
I think the OP needs to clarify if he was transiting from Panama City, FL (ECP) or Panama City, Panama (PTY).
The OP does state that it was a connection from an international flight to a domestic flight
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

You are not allowed to standby because you are on an international itinerary, from the experiences posted in that thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2018 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.