Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:15 am

I have had an agent make that exact change for me at check-in in August 2017. She did take a few minutes and explained that it was because they did not want those types of changes given the SDFC/SDSB rules but she got it done anyway. I was Platinum Pro so I don’t know if that encouraged her to do it. My advice would be to just ask nicely since the rule technically is that they shouldnt make the change.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I am confirmed (with SWU) in first on a later flight. There is J1 on an earlier flight. I am on standby via
SDFC. What is my priority ? Am I ahead of all others that are waiting for CK/EXP upgrades ? This is
on a completely domestic itinerary.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
I am confirmed (with SWU) in first on a later flight. There is J1 on an earlier flight. I am on standby via
SDFC. What is my priority ? Am I ahead of all others that are waiting for CK/EXP upgrades ? This is
on a completely domestic itinerary.
If your original ticket is economy, you standby for your original ticketed cabin. Standbys are usually not processed until upgrades are cleared thus freeing more economy seats up.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Thanks for the info. I got a question here: I'm having a flight tomorrow from SFO to LAX on 8:40 AM. I have requested a standby to an eariler flight on 7AM. Do you have any idea when AA will start to clear the standby list? Current on the first one. I guess I also need to arrive the airport like 5:30 tomorrow morning to re-check with ground agent right?
Thanks again.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
The gate agent will generally start clearing standby about T-45 to T-60 if there is space, in my experience. I have asked a GA to process me early when I was #1 and there was plenty of space so I could go visit the lounge, and was successful. If the flight is full or nearly full, they may wait until T-15 to start processing standbys.

You do not need to recheck with the gate agent; if you are on the standby list you will get processed whether you are present or not. You don't lose your original seat until you board so if you no-show after clearing (I've done that due to a late first leg) - no problem.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qxk970517
Thanks for the info. I got a question here: I'm having a flight tomorrow from SFO to LAX on 8:40 AM. I have requested a standby to an eariler flight on 7AM. Do you have any idea when AA will start to clear the standby list? Current on the first one. I guess I also need to arrive the airport like 5:30 tomorrow morning to re-check with ground agent right?
Thanks again.
IME, standby list is cleared around sometime between 40 to 20 minutes prior to departure.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by qxk970517
Thanks again.
What ended up happening?

I've done same-day standby on earlier flights CMH-ORD, and have been cleared (and upgraded) as early as ~3hrs before the requested flight time (before I even arrived at the airport). Not sure if its just because the flights aren't usually full, or if being an outstation has something to do with it.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:13 am

Hi there,

I have a flight coming up for myself + 2. I was advised by AA to split the reservation into 2 + 1
so my free upgrade as EXP shows up. So now I have me + 1 on one locator while the third
person is on another locator. Only I have status out of 3.

If I have to do SDFC (for free) is that an issue now ? Would they do free SDFC for both
locators ? I never considered this issue and allowed them to split the records to get
the free upgrade. But now SDFC is more important to me than upgrade since it is a short
flight:-(

Any suggestions as to what can be done so all three of us can get free SDFC based
on my EXP status ? Does it also matter if the tickets are revenue or mileage ? I have
revenue (paid) tickets one way and mileage tickets on the return...

Thanks in advance....F.A.

Last edited by flyalways; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:21 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:25 am

Hi there,

I have a flight coming up for myself + 2. I was advised by AA to split the reservation into 2 + 1
so my free upgrade as EXP shows up. So now I have me + 1 on one locator while the third
person is on another locator. Only I have status out of 3.

If I have to do SDFC (for free) is that an issue now ? Would they do free SDFC for both
locators ? I never considered this issue and allowed them to split the records to get
the free upgrade. But now SDFC is more important to me than upgrade since it is a short
flight:-(

Any suggestions as to what can be done so all three of us can get free SDFC based
on my EXP status ? Does it also matter if the tickets are revenue or mileage ? I have
revenue (paid) tickets one way and mileage tickets on the return...

Thanks in advance....F.A.
I had similar situation last month. Had split 4 pax into 2 PNR's (2 and 2) for the upgrade possibility. Day of travel, wanted to go on earlier flight which had plenty of space. EXP desk said they could move me + companion, but given split PNR's, could not change passengers on the other reservation. I wound up sending DM to AA twitter and they made the switch. (Yes... AA twitter accomplished what EXP desk could not).
flyalways likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
I had similar situation last month. Had split 4 pax into 2 PNR's (2 and 2) for the upgrade possibility. Day of travel, wanted to go on earlier flight which had plenty of space. EXP desk said they could move me + companion, but given split PNR's, could not change passengers on the other reservation. I wound up sending DM to AA twitter and they made the switch. (Yes... AA twitter accomplished what EXP desk could not).
Did you get upgraded on original flight ? Could you keep the upgrade on the new flight ? I have already been upgraded
with my companion on the outbound :-)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:38 am

Did you get upgraded on original flight ? Could you keep the upgrade on the new flight ? I have already been upgraded
with my companion on the outbound :-)
Had been upgraded on flight 1. If memory serves, the flight change removed the upgrade and put me back on the upgrade list, which ultimately cleared both into first.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf

If your original ticket is economy, you standby for your original ticketed cabin. Standbys are usually not processed until upgrades are cleared thus freeing more economy seats up.
If he did SDFC, he is NOT standing by for his original cabin. He is confirmed on the flight in economy and seems to be "standing by" for an upgrade.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Well it ends up pretty good. Arrived airport early, being issued a standby card by SFO agent, waited at the gate for a while and I was the first to get cleared around 10 min before boarding (Total 5 Standbys, all get cleared later).
Originally Posted by Aero137
What ended up happening?

I've done same-day standby on earlier flights CMH-ORD, and have been cleared (and upgraded) as early as ~3hrs before the requested flight time (before I even arrived at the airport). Not sure if its just because the flights aren't usually full, or if being an outstation has something to do with it.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

What happens if you SDSB for last flight and do not clear?

Anyone knows what happens when you same-day standby for the last flight of the evening and ultimately do not clear? Would AA put you on standby for a flight the next day? Of course, you would have to pay your own accommodation and meals.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just want to confirm my understanding: I am an EXP traveling on an Award Ticket traveling in F that was ticketed in F. I am on an 8:30pm flight out of LGA to ORD (have to take this later flight as this is the final leg of a CMB-AUH-JFK//LGA-ORD F Award and the minimum connecting time from JFK-LGA is brutal). Anyway, if I get to LGA early enough, can I standby for F on an earlier flight (say 6:30pm or 7:30pm)? If so, would it be dependent on F MileSAAver space being available or just any F seat?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.