Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EP
All that the agent told you is correct. U should be able to use ur BP to get into the counciyrae. Plus when u go on the list at the airport u will get a priority verification card which can also be used to go through security.

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Called in to do a SDFC for a flight tomorrow LGA-CLT-MIA. Everything is sold out and overbooked the agent says so I ask if I can be put on the Standby list for a flight and he says I can only do that at the gate, I tell him the flight I want to standby for is at 1120 and the original flight is at 659 and ask can I even get through security to get to the gate. He says he doesn't know. Is this a true policy or did I just get a newbie ?

I am in First (booking code I) just as a data point.

He did say that the F standby would clear before any upgrades cleared. Not sure how true that is or not.

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Called in to do a SDFC for a flight tomorrow LGA-CLT-MIA. Everything is sold out and overbooked the agent says so I ask if I can be put on the Standby list for a flight and he says I can only do that at the gate, I tell him the flight I want to standby for is at 1120 and the original flight is at 659 and ask can I even get through security to get to the gate. He says he doesn't know. Is this a true policy or did I just get a newbie ?

I am in First (booking code I) just as a data point.

He did say that the F standby would clear before any upgrades cleared. Not sure how true that is or not.

Thanks
Doesn't matter if the flight is earlier then time you go through security. All that matters is that BP is for same day.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Question about Standby with checked bags.

DFW-SFO. Booked on the 7p, but want to take the 5p flight.

If i want to check in bags, do i arrive 45 minutes before the earlier 5pm standby flight? If i do make the 3pm flight i assume the flight will have my bags. Is that correct?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:57 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
As a GLD on a milesaaver ticket, to standby for a flight 8 hours later than mine, do I just no show my flight and turn up to the airport for the later flight?

That's what the AAgent told me to do but don't want to risk the ticket being cancelled.

Also - do I check in for the flight I'm not taking?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by daveland
As a GLD on a milesaaver ticket, to standby for a flight 8 hours later than mine, do I just no show my flight and turn up to the airport for the later flight?

That's what the AAgent told me to do but don't want to risk the ticket being cancelled.

Also - do I check in for the flight I'm not taking?
You should get on the standby list prior to the original flight departure.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
I have seen remarks about doing SDFC to a flight that is later than the original, as long as it within a 12 hour window.

Originally Posted by Microwave
No, as long as you're within 12 hours of the flight you're trying to change to. For example, if you're on the 11:45 PM departure from LAX-JFK, and you want to change to the 7 AM departure the next morning, you can start checking for E inventory as early as 7 PM that night, and call to snag it if it exists.
The question I have: does it work in the opposite direction? Switching to the last flight out for the day instead of being on the first flight out the following morning?

Currently booked on a sAAver J ticket LHR-LAX, arrives 3pm, and then a flight out the next morning @730am LAX-SMF.

There is a 730pm flight LAX-SMF (currently no saver award inventory to switch into in F or Y, EF alerts set) I would prefer to take.

Can I/should I ask at LHR about switching to the evening flight (SDFC or standby depending on availability) and again when I arrive at LAX?

I figure if it is a no-go at the LAX counter or standby at the gate, I can book a hotel for the night pretty quick and just catch my flight out the following morning. But getting home a night sooner is ideal.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:05 pm
hcz

Programs: AA
Strange.

As GLD, I would have technically the option to do SDSB for free on an earlier or later flight. My original flight is 8:30am, and I wish to SDSB for a 5:30pm flight because there are a lot of availability (and also availability for flights afterwards)

At exactly 24 hours before the new flight, I can see the SDSB option coming up. Try to fly standby for 5:30pm flight -- of course it failed, showed system error. (This option had never work for me successfully on AA.com, even for earlier flights, always always system error).

Then I Called the agent, she apologized for the system issue, and she maintained that even if I stand-by for an afternoon flight, I still need to be at the airport at 7am! And she is very sure about that I need to personally go to the airport. She even said that had the option on AA.com work successfully, I STILL need to go to the airport at 7am, so that "gate agents can confirm my seat"!

Anyone had encountered this before? It would be crazy if this it how it works. Standby for a later flight would just be a pseudo-benefit for elites. Who would go to the airport and give up a confirmed seat and opt for standby for a later flight and hang around in the airport? Lounge lovers?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jtav559
I have seen remarks about doing SDFC to a flight that is later than the original, as long as it within a 12 hour window.

The question I have: does it work in the opposite direction? Switching to the last flight out for the day instead of being on the first flight out the following morning?

Currently booked on a sAAver J ticket LHR-LAX, arrives 3pm, and then a flight out the next morning @730am LAX-SMF.

There is a 730pm flight LAX-SMF (currently no saver award inventory to switch into in F or Y, EF alerts set) I would prefer to take.

Can I/should I ask at LHR about switching to the evening flight (SDFC or standby depending on availability) and again when I arrive at LAX?

I figure if it is a no-go at the LAX counter or standby at the gate, I can book a hotel for the night pretty quick and just catch my flight out the following morning. But getting home a night sooner is ideal.
AA Is pretty strict about this. Has to be same day. Keep an eye for award availability on the 730pm flight; otherwise it's going to be getting a hotel.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by BThumme
AA Is pretty strict about this. Has to be same day. Keep an eye for award availability on the 730pm flight; otherwise it's going to be getting a hotel.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, part of the daily routine: Coffee, emails, EF. Repeat daily for best results.

Related note: Checked EF for another flight I was waiting on inventory for. I looked at 8am PT and noticed available space, but didnt get the EF email until almost 12 noon PT. I even clicked the "quick check" link in the saved alerts page and it confirmed the space that morning. Is there normally such a lag on the alert email?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I did standby with a companion on my PNR for the first time yesterday. The check in agent had to split us on the record to be able to get me on the standby list, then she said it would cost my companion $75.

I was like, uh....no? Then she started saying how the computer couldn't my (no-status) companion to the standby list without paying that $75. Of course once the rez is split, you can't re-merge it. Took a gate agent almost 15 minutes to get my companion on the standby list, and the GA had to "do it in a roundabout way". Whatever it was caused my companion to go to #1 on the standby list and me #2 .

Frustrating because I think the check in agent definitely dropped the ball. Standing by shouldn't be that hard to do.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I've done plenty of standbys on earlier flights, but standby on a later flight...

I'm booked on a 6:30 am from DCA to RDU tomorrow. Ive just got too much stuff to do before an early flight. AA is giving an option to standby for the 10:17 am tomorrow.

I've requested to standby for that one. Do I show up at at 5:45 for the 6:30 flight or just plan on showing up at 9:30 for the 10:17 flight? Is the AA system smart enough not to cancel my res for the 6:30 flight when I don't appear for it?
Old May 10, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I've done plenty of standbys on earlier flights, but standby on a later flight...

I'm booked on a 6:30 am from DCA to RDU tomorrow. Ive just got too much stuff to do before an early flight. AA is giving an option to standby for the 10:17 am tomorrow.

I've requested to standby for that one. Do I show up at at 5:45 for the 6:30 flight or just plan on showing up at 9:30 for the 10:17 flight? Is the AA system smart enough not to cancel my res for the 6:30 flight when I don't appear for it?
I would show up at 9:30 for the 10:17 flight. Theoretically, the system should be capable of knowing not to cancel the reservation, especially in light of the fact that taking the standby for a later flight option online doesn't instruct the user to take any additional steps. In practice, I wouldn't risk it and always call reservations immediately after requesting standby to have them manually cancel the confirmed segment, just to be on the safe side.

Of course, one time I called and the representative didn't actually cancel the confirmed segment, but when I got to the airport it didn't seem to have affected the rest of the reservation.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold
@IADCAflyer Did you request the standby by phone? Also, did you have to tell them to cancel your confirmed flight? I have a flight that I'd to standby for later flight coming up in a few days and am wondering how to do it. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
SDSB Later Flight

This is the latest I received from AA:

Please check out the following link under How to confirm same-day flight changes or STBY for options. It can be done on our app, website, via kiosk or at the ticket counter. If you're going to fly STBY on a later flight, you want to call the Elite desk in advance so they can remove your earlier flight and document the reservation. http://bit.ly/FLTCHG
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Luggage?

My family and I (4 pax) are traveling SFO-ORD and want to explore the possibility of taking an earlier flight. Standby is free as my wife and I are both GLD and all of us are on the same PNR. It is not worth paying 4x $75 for SDFC in our case.

If EF indicates a decent standby chance for the four of us and we decide to go for it, will it be possible to get on the standby list (online) then head to SFO and check our bags on the earlier flight? If we don't make the earlier flight, then our luggage waits for us. What I don't want is to get on the standby flight and have to check our bags on the later (original) flight. That would defeat the purpose of getting to ORD earlier, in our case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.