Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Originally Posted by bnatraveler
if this does not break protocol, what is SWU, please?
bna: Just in case you did not see (or read) Post #8, SWU = System Wide Upgrade. Used to be called VIP, and I'm pretty sure most "old-timers" still call them that. [I realize that people sometimes just would like a quick & simple answer to a quick & simple question.]
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
My girlfriend and I have used about 20 SWUs between us for TATL travel. They have never once cleared at the time of booking, but have always cleared in the end, mostly between 10 and 3 days prior to travel.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:29 am

Ive been EXP now for about 6 or 7 years and Ive never not had a SWU clear. I subscribe to expertflyer and do try to pick my flights accordingly but my work schedule means that this not always possible.

Ive had a few close calls (once at the gate LHR-JFK waiting for 2 seats on a flight that was full in J - in the end there were a couple of no shows, once on the actual aircraft on a JFK-ZRH). Often the upgrade wont clear till a few hours before departure on full flights - Ive had a fair few JFK-LHR Sunday evening flights like that, that arrive in time for Monday morn meetings.

I think overall, SWU are very, very likely to clear. If you are able to be show some flexibility and planning, it would be unlucky IMO for an SWU not to clear...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MeVoy
bna: Used to be called VIP, and I'm pretty sure most "old-timers" still call them that.
Actually, not true. Even most of the old timers are calling them SWUs to be consistent with the AA terminology and avoid confusion.

Yet, we still call the domestic upgrades stickers. Go figure

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I've only been EXP for a few years, but I've had all my SWUs clear, including 3 for a JFK-FCO flight (and return) right around Easter.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:11 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
All of mine have cleared the last six years. Mostly JFK-NRT r/t and JFK-LHR (lots of seats). Sometimes the JFK-NRT have cleared at the airport but most of the JFK-LHR have cleared well before. I even have has a friend with gold status clear JFK=LHR (both ways) and a plat clear DFW-NRT, but not on NRT-DFW.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given today's economy, I think it would be very very rare for a business class cabin to completely sell out with paid fares, which is pretty much the only reason why a SWU wouldn't clear. But even a year or two ago at the peak of the market, I think instances of EXPs on SWUs not clearing were few and far between. Particularly today I imagine that if it were to happen it would be because a one-off event, like a flight cancellation.

That said, picking which flights are most likely to clear really depends on the route. For example, (paid) business (class) travel to/from Asia is heaviest on Saturday, but I imagine it's light to Europe and S. America.

Generally speaking, the more "I" inventory available on a flight, the more likely that upgrade space will be released, so you can use ExpertFlyer or even free inventory services like Seatcounter to help you pick flights.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

<deleted a bunch of stuff>

Generally speaking, the more "I" inventory available on a flight, the more likely that upgrade space will be released, so you can use ExpertFlyer or even free inventory services like Seatcounter to help you pick flights.
I disagree eith part of this. Do NOT use SeatCounter for this. It has had big issues with reporting AA availability. This has been mentioned on FT before.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Do NOT use SeatCounter for this. It has had big issues with reporting AA availability. This has been mentioned on FT before.
Good point. I'm guessing that zeroes across all inventory buckets will give a pretty warped view of what's going on

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by MeVoy
bna: Just in case you did not see (or read) Post #8, SWU = System Wide Upgrade. Used to be called VIP, and I'm pretty sure most "old-timers" still call them that. [I realize that people sometimes just would like a quick & simple answer to a quick & simple question.]

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded as soon I purchase on ORD-DEL Flight

Im travelling in Dec '09 and my ticket was Upgraded to business instantly as soon as Itnary created ( even before purchase ). My child ticket ( another Itenary same flights ) was wait listed ( under SWU ) though there several available seats in Business class. Should I do and ask them again to refresh my reservation ??.

Last edited by seeyoo; Aug 26, 2009 at 6:47 pm Reason: ooopps.. Sorry typo..
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
How'd you buy a ticket for Dec. 2010?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
I've only been EXP for a few years, but I've had all my SWUs clear, including 3 for a JFK-FCO flight (and return) right around Easter.
Ditto for me, I've only been EXP for 2.5yrs, and have so far had 15 out of 15 SWUs clear, including several on the difficult to get LHR<->LAX runs. Probably 5 or 6 were confirmed at booking, the rest always cleared at least 24 hrs before departure.

When I was PLT, I had at least 9 out of 9 miles+copay upgrades clear >24hrs in advance as well. One time I had 2 upgrades (me and Mrs.G) clear at 4 hrs out, and i had to call an hour later to delay departure by a week.... what a mess to sort out the upgrades/miles/$$!! I had to pay the regular change fee PLUS an extra $125 expedite fee for <21-day upgrading.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by seeyoo
Im travelling in Dec '09 and my ticket was Upgraded to business instantly as soon as Itnary created ( even before purchase ). My child ticket ( another Itenary same flights ) was wait listed ( under SWU ) though there several available seats in Business class. Should I do and ask them again to refresh my reservation ??.
You state that there are "several available seats in Business class" Is this information based on the seat map or is this based on a service that shows specific fare classes (i.e., Expertflyer)?

If there are several upgradeable seats available, then by all means call AA and get the child's seat upgraded.

If it just a matter of add'l seats for sale, then you can certainly call AA and ask to have an add'l upgrade seat made available for you. However, the privilege of "expanded award inventory" is for the EXP, and the child is on a different itinerary - so I doubt they will open up the seat right now.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:12 am
Original Poster

It was based on a seat map on AA.COM

Since I have to use unused credit from another ticket to buy they split my itenary into two. before they split Itenary was immediately upgraded. But after Split I was upgraded ( Im EXP ) and my child is staying Economy. CS never told me issues surrounding the Split of Itenaries as I was discussing with her SWU of 2 tickets Im purchasinig. If Child was on my Itenary Im sure she should have been Upgraded as well. I dont know if she ever be Upgraded before departure. My Outbound is in Dec '09.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.