Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seeyoo
Hi folks,
I accidentally did Systemwide upgrade and like to downgrade again as I want to use these Upgrades for my other vacation. Shall I be able to do that?. I want to clarify before I talk to AA about this Downgrade. Will they credit me back I accidentally upgraded to my Bank?.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Originally Posted by doladd
calling AA is the best and fastest way
You realise the OP asked this question over 2 and a half years ago, right?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JY1024
ROFL
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sts603
Plus, while the 757 may be slightly inferior to other narrow bodies in F, its also inferior in Y (especially when you get the old non-wingtipped headrests). It may not be the best upgrade experience but with two red-eyes back to back (followed by a late night of election night boozing), clearing that one seemed essential to my sanity.

While I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs. and thus am not in desperate need of width or legroom - if there is someone in 10B/10E, I can't possibly see how 10A/F would be more comfortable than F. If there wasn't, then I'd say ok for someone who was really tall. But otherwise, I just don't get it. What am I missing?
Not missing anything, to each his own For daytime flights I agree with you, I actually like the 757 and would take F any day of the week over Y.

For night flights though, I find myself sliding all around the large, slick brown leather seats. That, coupled with the lack of adjustable headrests, and I have a very hard time sleeping. Just personal preference, but I've slept much better stretched out and propping a pillow up against the window in 10 A/F.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by JY1024
Yet the burning question remains. How does one accidentally use an SWU?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Yet the burning question remains. How does one accidentally use an SWU?
I accidentally called the EXP desk and asked them to apply an SWU to my shortest upcoming trip in mainline. Silly me, my intention was to get in my car and drive to work, but I guess calling AA has become a force of habit!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For night flights though, I find myself sliding all around the large, slick brown leather seats. That, coupled with the lack of adjustable headrests, and I have a very hard time sleeping. Just personal preference, but I've slept much better stretched out and propping a pillow up against the window in 10 A/F.
ditto... i've slept better in 26A on BA's 777 from NBO-LHR than on AA's 757 transcon red-eye or MIA-So.America flights. The old fashioned 757 J/F seat is just crummy for sleeping.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beerup
I accidentally called the EXP desk and asked them to apply an SWU to my shortest upcoming trip in mainline. Silly me, my intention was to get in my car and drive to work, but I guess calling AA has become a force of habit!
Don't worry, I'm sure that's a mistake we've all made.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Question SWU usage

Is there a way to check on-line which flights a SWU was used on? I can see that my available SWU has gone down, but I can't find the associated upgrade. I'm wait-listed on several flights and checking the seat map, none of them shows the upgrade.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Sagy
Is there a way to check on-line which flights a SWU was used on? I can see that my available SWU has gone down, but I can't find the associated upgrade. .
No, there's not a way to tell. You'll have to call AA.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is there a way to check on-line which flights a SWU was used on? I can see that my available SWU has gone down, but I can't find the associated upgrade. I'm wait-listed on several flights and checking the seat map, none of them shows the upgrade.
It would be really nice to have this displayed along with our balances on AA.com. Perhaps this will be part of a future enhancement, which we might see in the year 2525 (if man is still alive, if woman can survive).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
No, there's not a way to tell. You'll have to call AA.
Thanks, I did just that.

I actually had 10 upgrade requests working in the past week or so (8 cleared, waiting on 2). It turned out that this was the 11th which I kind of forgot about - it is for a good friend one mine flying in Nov. The SWU cleared, but he had to change flight date ("just after" the upgrade cleared) so the SUW is already subtracted, but the record still shows him in Y (he is wait-listed for the new date).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:32 pm

It turned out that this was the 11th which I kind of forgot about -
Glad the mystery is solved. It sure would be nice if (as gemac already noted) we could see this info online. Of course, if wishes were horses....
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by gemac
It would be really nice to have this displayed along with our balances on AA.com. Perhaps this will be part of a future enhancement, which we might see in the year 2525 (if man is still alive, if woman can survive).
I think we'll survive. The problem is, it'll more than likely be like this: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808674683/info

Last edited by NotDuncan; Oct 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If the flight is on AA but ticket is issued by say BA evip cannot be applied to it right?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by riteshraja
If the flight is on AA but ticket is issued by say BA evip cannot be applied to it right?
Depends upon what you mean by "issues." If you simply bought it on BA.com, but it is AA-operated and AA flight number, then it qualifies. If it is the BA codeshare number, then you care correct.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.