Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:26 pm

Upgrades and infants? How does it work?

I have a reservation from ORD to DEL (india). The reservation includes:

1 Adult
1 Child between 2 and 11
1 Infant below 2 (no seat)

I may get lucky and have a friend give me his SWUs for the trip.

Question - Does anybody know if my upgrades get confirmed - do I need to make any payment to AA for the infant or how is the infact case handled by AA?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXPlatinum
Originally Posted by lifescool
I have a reservation from ORD to DEL (india). The reservation includes:

1 Adult
1 Child between 2 and 11
1 Infant below 2 (no seat)

I may get lucky and have a friend give me his SWUs for the trip.

Question - Does anybody know if my upgrades get confirmed - do I need to make any payment to AA for the infant or how is the infact case handled by AA?
Not sure on that one, but I beleive you will be charged the difference between the INF fare paid and the next available (INF fare) in business class.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Originally Posted by redrock
Like others I receive an email when the booking is re-ticketed. However this can take a few hours to 1 day in my experience after the upgrade. For a faster altert you might set a EF page for the Y-Seat you are currently in. If this becomes available (ie when you are moved to C) it will send you a notification. I don't think this is quite real time though, as I understand they make sweeps every x minutes. Others may have more details on this.
I agree. I get an email when my stickerless "sticker" upgrade goes through, but nothing when an SWU clears. It is a great idea to set an EF alert on your own seat whether you have a SWU waitlisted or not, though of course it is not real-time. You would then also know earliest if your seat was moved by a GA for another reason.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Any experience using SWU when an equipment change occurs, as in following situation, and part of trip has upgrade already confirmed?

Seg1 Coach (ERJ - no first class possible)
Seg2 Upgrade from coach to business confirmed in C

After booking, equipment change occurs on Seg1 to larger plane with a first class. What is the best way to handle this to try to get upgraded on Seg1 without losing confirmed upgrade on Seg2?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MileKing
Any experience using SWU when an equipment change occurs, as in following situation, and part of trip has upgrade already confirmed?

Seg1 Coach (ERJ - no first class possible)
Seg2 Upgrade from coach to business confirmed in C

After booking, equipment change occurs on Seg1 to larger plane with a first class. What is the best way to handle this to try to get upgraded on Seg1 without losing confirmed upgrade on Seg2?
You have to call in. If there is SWU upgrade inventory available, they should be able to upgrade you immediately. If not, they can add you to the waitlist.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gemac
You have to call in. If there is SWU upgrade inventory available, they should be able to upgrade you immediately. If not, they can add you to the waitlist.
FWIW, assuming Segment 1 is a domestic flight, the inventory you'd be looking for is A. You can view this on EF, and you can also sometimes find it on aa.com as a discounted first class fare code (look for just the segment you want, and do price/schedule, then click the "+" next to your flight and look whether one of the first columns has a price for your flight and is listed as Booking Code A). As you can see, A is also a revenue bucket, so there is often inventory in this bucket (unlike C, which is not a revenue bucket, is only viewable via EF and tends to have less inventory IME).
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Need some advice. I'm EXP booked this evening in coach for the Monday Dec 6 MIA to LAX afternoon flight at 3:45pm.

I have one EVIP remaining. I requested an upgrade but it looks like First is pretty full. Will I have a better chance of upgrading if I use my remaining EVIP for the flight?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Need some advice. I'm EXP booked this evening in coach for the Monday Dec 6 MIA to LAX afternoon flight at 3:45pm.

I have one EVIP remaining. I requested an upgrade but it looks like First is pretty full. Will I have a better chance of upgrading if I use my remaining EVIP for the flight?
Depends upon what inventory might be available since these obviously come from different buckets. Have you checked ExperFlyer?

Cheers.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

As brp notes, it's a separate inventory bucket.
If there are A seats still available on an otherwise tight flight, and you only recently booked and requested your upgrade, I'd be inclined to burn an eVIP. LAX/SFO-MIA can be very tough sticker upgrade routes, as there tend to be a lot of paid (extensions of international itineraries) premium tix.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 30, 2010 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
As brp notes, it's a separate inventory bucket.
If there are A seats still available on an otherwise tight flight, and you only recently booked and requested your upgrade, I'd be inclined to burn an eVIP. LAX/SFO-MIA can be very tough sticker upgrade routes, as there tend to be a lot of paid (extensions of international itineraries) premium tix.
Unfortunately for that poster the 763 flights, like the 3:45PM one, don't seem to have A availability for that day. Now, if they could switch to a 757, they will have no problem with the SWU clearing in advance. I just don't understand why the 763 FC seats fill faster than the 757 ones... must be the scheduling
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Unfortunately for that poster the 763 flights, like the 3:45PM one, don't seem to have A availability for that day. Now, if they could switch to a 757, they will have no problem with the SWU clearing in advance. I just don't understand why the 763 FC seats fill faster than the 757 ones... must be the scheduling
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the lack of A availability for the flight. I don't have an Expert Flyer account.

I'm 100% on upgraded flights in 2010 so I hope I can keep the streak alive!

Is there any downside to putting in a request to use an EVIP in the hope that there's a plane change or will that somehow affect my waitlisted EXP upgrade request? I'm willing to use the EVIP if needed, MIA - LAX is a bear of a flight.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the lack of A availability for the flight. I don't have an Expert Flyer account.

I'm 100% on upgraded flights in 2010 so I hope I can keep the streak alive!

Is there any downside to putting in a request to use an EVIP in the hope that there's a plane change or will that somehow affect my waitlisted EXP upgrade request? I'm willing to use the EVIP if needed, MIA - LAX is a bear of a flight.
I know I have done this for domestic flights, while waitlisted for SWU's on TATL legs, but I don't know why you would do it on a domestic trip only. In my mind I thought SWU's cleared before sticker upgrades. At least SWU's could clear before the 100/72/24 hour limits for stickers.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don't have an Expert Flyer account.
IMO, anybody who flies enough to make EXP should have an ExpertFlyer account. This is but one illustration of why.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gemac
IMO, anybody who flies enough to make EXP should have an ExpertFlyer account. This is but one illustration of why.
+1
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
MIA - LAX is a bear of a flight.
No kidding. I've learned to hate it in recent months. A major disappointment for EXPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.