Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by lifescool
What about upgrade certificates and associated restrictions
If you are talking about SystemWide Upgrades (SWUs) they are usually given to Executive Platinums and those crossing million miles. If someone has them, they can gift them to you though. They are good for upto 3 segments in each direction of travel. They come from the same upgrade category as the miles + co-pay.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
From the sticky: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822043

In your case, you have two options: upgrade awards and systemwide. If you don't know an EXP willing to gift you a systemwide, your only option is an upgrade award. These are valid on any fare, and to India cost 40,000 miles plus $350 on discount fares (30k miles on full-fare Y and B), and are valid one way (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp). You have to call AA via the phone to request this. They will waitlist for you if it isn't available. The earlier you call the better (waitlist is first come first served, based on status).
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:42 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by RangersFanWS
It seems as though American Airlines systemwide upgrade rules continue to change. Can an AA systemwide upgrade (SWU) be used if a flight is booked through Orbitz or another worldwide distribution center (ie-expedia, travelocity, etc.)? I understand that AA now allows SWU's to be used for almost all fare codes but am hoping to upgrade an economy ticket on a leg of an international trip (the ticket was booked through Orbitz).

Also, if there are business class seats available to upgrade to (class A or C inventory), is the SWU request cleared immediately or waitlisted until closer to flight time?

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, RangersFanWS! Because there is an existing thread for such questions, your thread has now been merged into it. Please be sure to check out our FAQ entry and associated resources on Upgrades here:

• How can I upgrade on AA?

/Moderator
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
SWU - # of Segments allowed

I read recently somewhere that you're allowed multiple segments and can choose which segment to apply the SWU on - is this the case? Here's my current itin:

DCA-MIA
MIA-BOG
BOG-MIA-DCA
DCA-ORD-YYZ

Am I able to use one SWU to upgrade both the MIA-BOG and BOG-MIA-DCA?

Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

upto 3 in the same direction of travel.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"SWU"})

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by gimmedub

Am I able to use one SWU to upgrade both the MIA-BOG and BOG-MIA-DCA?

First of all, one SWU is good for a ONE WAY trip, up to three segments.

If I am reading your question correctly, how could you expect ONE SWU in both directions, in what has to be a RT ticket.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gimmedub
This section of the FAQ would also eliminate your confusion. It's at the top of the page where it says, "Please check here first!"
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:18 am

I checked with AA Customer Service and they confirmed that SWUs are prioritized by your status. So if you have SWUs but low on the priority list - good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:56 pm

ok just got informed that my SWU cleared for myself only, wife and son are still on waitlist...
Flt#51 LHR-DFW on 12/25, I am trying to get a sense of what the odds are of my wife and son's upgrades clearing between now and travel date (11/19)....

Also, as I understand, as PLT, I get access to the Admirals Club Lounge.
Couple of questions on this:
-This is the only lounge I get access to right?
-I can access the AC lounges at both DFW and LHR right?
-LHR one is the one at T3 Lounge Area H ?

Thanks in advance,
KG

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm Reason: redacted TOS violation
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by kgdg
ok just got informed that my SWU cleared for myself only, wife and son are still on waitlist... Flt#51 LHR-DFW on 12/25, I am trying to get a sense of what the odds are of my wife and son's upgrades clearing between now and travel date (11/19)....

Thanks in advance,
KG
If you're terminating at DFW, you don't have access to the DFW lounge since you won't have an upcoming OW flight.

You could consider extending your EF subscription.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted content
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
ok just got informed that my SWU cleared for myself only, wife and son are still on waitlist...Flt#51 LHR-DFW on 12/25, I am trying to get a sense of what the odds are of my wife and son's upgrades clearing between now and travel date (11/19)....

Thanks in advance,
KG
As a OW Sapphire, you should have access to the BA and CX lounges at LHR in addition to the AC lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 12, 2010 at 8:01 pm Reason: redacted deleted content
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you cleared already, there seems to be a reasonable chance your fam folk will clear too, though dependent variables include their status, time of request, sales, etc. but Christmas day itself may not be as heavy as days before and after.

You do receive access at LHR - but check the FAQ, Wiki or aa.com for guest rules. At DFW you will pass through immigration and customs formalities and be landside, so no lounge access.

ok just got informed that my SWU cleared for myself only, wife and son are still on waitlist...
Flt#51 LHR-DFW on 12/25, I am trying to get a sense of what the odds are of my wife and son's upgrades clearing between now and travel date (11/19)....

Thanks in advance,
KG
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

Thanks in advance,
KG
I'm confused, who is traveling on 12/25 and who is traveling on 11/19? If the wife and son are traveling on 11/19 and have no status of their own, they will be at the bottom of the wait-list. While during the week of 11/19 there may not be much paid premium travel going on, there could also be lots of elite requests for upgrades, and those of course would be ahead of your family. Call reservations and ask what the loads look like, also check the seat map for some unscientific measure of how many seats are already occupied.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:43 pm

I am in a similar situation and would like to know what happens in your case. Good Luck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.