Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikelat
Friend of mine just hit 2MM and lifetime platinum this month. The eVIPs they got have a Feb 2013 expiration date (as opposed to 2012). Is this typical for 2MM evips?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Any SWUs earned in 2011 would be good until 2013. Why should these be any different

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I'm not sure I understand the question. Any SWUs earned in 2011 would be good until 2013. Why should these be any different

Cheers.
Yep, exactly normal.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Apparently my brain wasn't doing math well last night For some reason I was thinking they were only good for the year they were issued + 2 months.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
My favorite/usual EXP agent called me to let me know that my outbound had cleared today. Very excited about this new route.

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Booked a flight on flight 183 LAX-PVG (departing in April) and flight 182 PVG-LAX (Returning in Mao). Called the EXP desk to use my SWUs and my return flight was confirmed immediately. I was waitlisted on the outbound flight but I check and the seat map is wide open. The agent did say that there is upgrade space available but revenue management was probably waiting to a closer time before releasing upgrade space to see how the loads would be before releasing them. I guess I would be on the top of the waiting list right? Does this happen regularly on the new routes? Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I've got a flight this week where I upgraded outbound with SWU and then have requested 500 mile upgrades on the return. When I check the reservation on aa.com, the part of the screen that usually features upgrade requests just isn't there... calling the EXP desk they say the request is in. Anyone have any insights into this? Never happened to me before. Also does this mean that likely the automated upgrade system won't work for this reservation, and therefore I'll need to call periodically after T100 to check? Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Originally Posted by goldengate
I've got a flight this week where I upgraded outbound with SWU and then have requested 500 mile upgrades on the return. When I check the reservation on aa.com, the part of the screen that usually features upgrade requests just isn't there... calling the EXP desk they say the request is in. Anyone have any insights into this? Never happened to me before. Also does this mean that likely the automated upgrade system won't work for this reservation, and therefore I'll need to call periodically after T100 to check? Thanks
The system to deliver upgrades is seperate from the website. There should be no need to call. But, you probably will
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldengate
I had a variation of this happen to me. I upgraded my outbound with SWU, and the requests still showed. Then one of my two legs on the return got upgraded (500 mile), and that's when the part of the screen that usually features upgrade requests disappeared. I too called and the phone agent said they still showed as requested at her end. And indeed, the requests did come through, but despite EF showing F7 took longer than T-100, even longer than T-72, at about two-ish days out finally.

So I presume it's just a website issue.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does using an SWU count as "activity"?

I logged into AA today and it says my last activity was yesterday (Jan 24), and that my miles expiration has been extended to Jul 24 (next year). But no miles actually posted or unposted. The only thing I can think of that I did yesterday that had anything to do with my AAdvantage account was apply an SWU. (The SWU doesn't yet shown as applied, but it was definitely applied yesterday, as I'm now in the next class up.)

(Not that anyone who has SWUs is likely to need to actively extend their account expiration, given that the only ways to get SWUs in your account AFAIK is either being EXP or crossing multiple MM thresholds, and if you're doing that you're likely earning miles regularly "enough" anyway.)
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I had a request of 2 systemwide upgrades for 2 people. The clock was ticking and I was hoping they would be upgraded before the flight goes to airport control to avoid any battlefield upgrade. I checked my email and realized that expert flyer alerted me of available C inventory 5 hours prior. I went to expert flyer to verify, and found there were 4 seats available. I called the AA exec desk and they were able to conform the upgrade over the phone.

Why did the upgrade not happen automatically? Is it possible I could have jumped the line?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xero
I had a request of 2 systemwide upgrades for 2 people. The clock was ticking and I was hoping they would be upgraded before the flight goes to airport control to avoid any battlefield upgrade. I checked my email and realized that expert flyer alerted me of available C inventory 5 hours prior. I went to expert flyer to verify, and found there were 4 seats available. I called the AA exec desk and they were able to conform the upgrade over the phone.

Why did the upgrade not happen automatically? Is it possible I could have jumped the line?
Both ExpertFlyer and AA's upgrade system run periodic batches. So sometimes AA will release inventory and clear your upgrade, but EF won't catch it as just didn't run its query at the "right" time. On the flip side, sometimes AA will release inventory and EF will catch it before AA's upgrade batch runs.

There are reports that if one sees EF inventory and calls in to grab it, one could in theory jump the queue. But since AA doesn't release information about the SWU waitlist, one never knows. Since it was C4 and you're an EXP, there was probably a decent chance that if the upgrade batch was left to work its magic, you would have been cleared anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JY1024
Both ExpertFlyer and AA's upgrade system run periodic batches. So sometimes AA will release inventory and clear your upgrade, but EF won't catch it as just didn't run its query at the "right" time. On the flip side, sometimes AA will release inventory and EF will catch it before AA's upgrade batch runs.

There are reports that if one sees EF inventory and calls in to grab it, one could in theory jump the queue. But since AA doesn't release information about the SWU waitlist, one never knows. Since it was C4 and you're an EXP, there was probably a decent chance that if the upgrade batch was left to work its magic, you would have been cleared anyway.
Thank you for the information. The upgrades were for 2 people who did not have any status.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (1.4MM), SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
My favorite/usual EXP agent called me to let me know that my outbound had cleared today. Very excited about this new route.
How do you have a favorite/usual EXP agent? I get someone different everytime I call...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xero
Thank you for the information. The upgrades were for 2 people who did not have any status.
I suspect that it was due to timing. I have an EF alert setup for EVIP upgrades for an upcoming DFW-MAD trip. The EF alert didn't trigger but tonight I noticed that I'm now in Biz for the INTL segments. I think sometimes EF triggers before the AA sweep and sometimes it can trigger after it. In your case, I'd suspect it was just due to timing and that you may have jumped a couple people in your awareness of the situation. Hard to say for sure though.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:39 pm

1 eVIP left - any my flyertalk "friends" want to use

If so - message me. Merry Christmas.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
catch 22 situation

Originally Posted by RChavez
This is not correct. You must request from an agent to be added to the upgrade list at the airport when checking in. Also, time of checkin is used for prioritization within an elite rank for mileage and VIP upgrades, not original time of request. So be sure to OLCI at exactly the 24 hour mark.
I was waitlisted for flight 64 (jfk to zrh) on 02/17/11 for a swu(=evip) upgrade--which had not cleared at the 24 hour mark (5:55 pm). At 5:56 I tried to do OLCI (the screen at aa.com showed all was OK to do this), but no OLCI button was available; after several unsucessful attempts I called aa.com cs and was told I could not do OLCI since I was waitlisted for an upg. When I got to JFK (3 hours early), the AC agent looked at my reservation and noted that I was not on the airport upg list. I explained why I couldn't do OLCI; after being placed on the list I was #8 [connecting pax and people who had NO previous upg requests, would certainly have trumped me (expert flyer was showing J1 at 4:55 pm, when I headed over to the gate)]. The GA announded everything was full and no upg's, seat chnges etc. would be considered. I flew in 21A (exit aisle).
I subsequently received an email from experrtflyer time stamped 6:05 pm(after the flight departed) that a C class seat was available--what does that really mean.
PS: I was near JFK (at 7:00pm) on 2/16 and could have gone there to try to checkin--but when I've tried to checkin the night before for flts from zrh to jfk (at the airport) I have never been successful and didn't want to waste time going to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.