Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ckx2
And they are non-surprisingly consistent in not offering any PDB on this route. When asking the purser on my last flight he simply replied it's not an official benefit therefore it's not his duty as he is busy with other things.

Yeah - playing angry birds.
Just like CSRs, FA will also make up rules to fit the situation. I suspect if you asked him on another flight, he'd say "Of course we always serve PDBs on every fight".

As already suggested, I hope you report this to AA. You don't need his name, your flight info will be enough.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
JFK-SFO 9/18 J #9 A321T PMAA - PBD tray of water, OJ and bubbles.

SFO-CLT 9/18 F #898 A321 PMUS - Full PDB. Watched how the FA managed the boarding process and completed full PDB. She made people wait while she delivered drinks and the other FA greeted people upon boarding. This isn't rocket science.

CLT-LGA 9/19 F #2062 A321 PMUS - Full PBD

Last edited by brc757rr; Sep 20, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by brc757rr
JFK-SFO 9/18 J A321T PMAA - PBD tray of water, OJ and bubbles.

SFO-CLT 9/18 F A321 PMUS - Full PDB. Watched how the FA managed the boarding process and completed full PDB. She made people wait while she delivered drinks and the other FA greeted people upon boarding. This isn't rocket science.

CLT-LGA 9/19 F A321 PMUS - Full PBD
And the pattern continues...

Odds you get Full PDB...

PMAA - Good luck. 5%-10%
PMUS - Shocking when it does not happen. 95% (or more)

(no science involved, just a guestimate by myself)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl
And the pattern continues...

Odds you get Full PDB...

PMAA - Good luck. 5%-10%
PMUS - Shocking when it does not happen. 95% (or more)

(no science involved, just a guestimate by myself)
I think it's ironic in that some many AA fliers had the misperception that US FAs were somehow substandard. The PMUS FAs may have had to work with a substandard product, but my experience before and currently is PMUS FAs a re generally better than PMAA FAs. YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've in general been impressed with pmUS FAs and increasingly disappointed with pmAA FAs
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think it's ironic in that some many AA fliers had the misperception that US FAs were somehow substandard. The PMUS FAs may have had to work with a substandard product, but my experience before and currently is PMUS FAs a re generally better than PMAA FAs. YMMV.
+1 I always liked them as well.

Let's hope the US FA's can show the AA FA's this is how you do PDB right. And, as needed, if the AA folks are right, the AA FA's can show US FA's this is how you do meal service better.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I've in general been impressed with pmUS FAs and increasingly disappointed with pmAA FAs
Let's hope - for all our sakes - we get the best of both worlds. (Cue Reginald Denny's 'why cant we all just get along')
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
DFW-DAY 9/17 F AA1469 - PDB offered. GREAT cabin crew for the short flight.
DAY-DFW 9/18 F AA1469 - Choice of H2O or OJ
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
BOS-LAX 9/22 F AA333 - Water Only
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MCO/MIA 2315 90 minutes late because inbound sat on tarmac for that amount of time-supposedly no gate. Asked for a PDB & FA laughed me like I was joking. Wonder if we will even get service in the air. Pathetic.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
MCO/MIA 2315 90 minutes late because inbound sat on tarmac for that amount of time-supposedly no gate. Asked for a PDB & FA laughed me like I was joking. Wonder if we will even get service in the air. Pathetic.
goingforgreat! As I sit on DL on a 35 min delay and happily offered anything I want on the ground at JFK.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 26, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:56 am

Started tweeting on 29 August to @AmericanAir about the lack of PDBs served. They did respond. Tweeted again this morning before finding a thread in this forum. American should be ashamed of itself. In the future, I'll use the #PDBServed hashtag in the tweets to continue the conversation.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
OJ or water on 380 this morning from ORD-LGA. Of course, I didn't have any. I barely cleared standby into coach.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
DFW-AUS 9/24 AA F - Nothing
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
goingforgreat! As I sit on DL on a 35 min delay and happily offered anything I want on the ground at JFK.
I think next time I'll asked for a PDB but say "oh, I'm sorry I thought I was flying DL where they actually provide this service to F customers." DL and US are there as soon as you are seated asking your choice. Lets see if I get one on flight to BOS this morning, 757 boarding 2L.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mparel
Started tweeting on 29 August to @AmericanAir about the lack of PDBs served. They did respond. Tweeted again this morning before finding a thread in this forum. American should be ashamed of itself. In the future, I'll use the #PDBServed hashtag in the tweets to continue the conversation.
Thanks.

Care to share what response you got from the Twitter team? It's tough to push using a tool if they will not acknowledge or resolve the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.