Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: LH HON
Guess what.

Today LAS-ORD 5am - nothing.

TGIF?!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:49 am

September 4th...

US2013, PBI-CLT - Full PDB
US1942, CLT-BUF - Full PDB

(Early morning flight, but still had Full PDB)

Last edited by Global321; Sep 6, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:37 pm

Today, as usual on USAIR...

US1929, BUF-CLT - Full PDB
US789, CLT-PBI - Full PDB
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
9/5 AA 1480 MIA-BWI B737: No PDB (7:05AM)
9/5 AA 1049 BWI-MIA B737: No PDB on delayed flight (8:20PM) but friendly FA who provided a great service
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
US SFO-PHL A320 and full PDB....terrific pmUS FA who even rolled out the dry ice for the custom sundae service with cordials offered.

USX (Republic) PHL-LGA E175 and nothing....asked for a cocktail once in the air (as did others) and the FA combatitively said there's only 15 minutes left....I said "So?" Another passenger behind me said "Then why are you asking me what I want to drink?" Everyone that stood their ground got their drink of choice in the air but some relented and just opted for club soda....overall a very bizarre experience.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
SFO-PHL A320 and full PDB....terrific pmUS FA who even rolled out the dry ice for the custom sundae service with cordials offered.
PHL-LGA E175 and nothing....asked for a cocktail once in the air (as did others) and the FA combatitively said there's only 15 minutes left....I said "So?" Another passenger behind me said "Then why are you asking me what I want to drink?" Everyone that stood their ground got their drink of choice in the air but some relented and just opted for club soda....overall a very bizarre experience.
Such an overall lack of consistency. Even for a flight like PHL-LGA, a little planning and the drinks run smoothly.

I used to fly GSO-CLT (and back) - as few as 18 minutes in the air, but typically 25 minutes - FA would do drinks on the ground and take drink orders for when we were airborne. Once up in the air, the drinks came out quick. Occasionally even a second round on the ground or in the air - if we were landing to the north.

Really, this is training and reinforcement. The vast majority of the pre-merger US crews do PDB, as do the regionals. It is a matter of management pushing the pmAA crews to be more consistent and not be lAAzy (on the ground).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:53 am

Today -

US1848, FLL-PHI - Full PDB
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Flew AUS-DFW and DFW-YVR on 9/4, then YVR-LAX on 9/8. PDB offered on all flights.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Austin787
Flew AUS-DFW and DFW-YVR on 9/4, then YVR-LAX on 9/8. PDB offered on all flights.
Wow great to hear.....real full PDB of choice or water/OJ, water only?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow great to hear.....real full PDB of choice or water/OJ, water only?
AUS-DFW was water/OJ only. DFW-YVR and YVR-LAX was full PDB.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
AUS-DFW was water/OJ only. DFW-YVR and YVR-LAX was full PDB.
And YVR-LAX is operated by Compass as Eagle on a 175 I'm pretty sure.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This morning AA 1354 MIA/IAH (A319) no PDBs despite 8F and lots of time. F FA needed a more senior FA to come from Y to get the breakfast service completed. Said F FA after the Service spent the remainder of the flight sleeping in the jump seat finally arising to do a last minute garbage collection.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Said F FA after the Service spent the remainder of the flight sleeping in the jump seat finally arising to do a last minute garbage collection.
That sounds like a safety concern.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
That sounds like a safety concern.
Yeah, that's completely unacceptable. Definitely email and tweet AA on that. Too bad you were unable to snap a photo...
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, that's completely unacceptable. Definitely email and tweet AA on that. Too bad you were unable to snap a photo...
+1

Without the photo it is a he said / she said. Video is worth a thousand words.

We snapped a nice photo of the exit TSA agent sleeping in Chicago a few weeks ago. I wish I would have stopped to do a short video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.