Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yep except mine was a little more red from the Bloody Mary Imagine giving your customers a choice.....go figure
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
...When the flight attendant came up to me saying he would be pouring drinks before departure I was so surprised and confused as to what was going on. I think I stared blankly for a few seconds while my brain processed this occurrence which I hadn't experienced in an eternity.
+1

And last time I flew DL (a few years back), there was a bottle of water sitting at the seat when boarded... and they still did full PDB. (More than once, I got a second beer before departure!)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
+1

And last time I flew DL (a few years back), there was a bottle of water sitting at the seat when boarded... and they still did full PDB. (More than once, I got a second beer before departure!)
Yes, the at-seat mini-bottle of Dasani plus a full PDB of choice is the norm at DL. Often when there is a ground delay of some sort, one or more additional PDBs are offered depending on length of delay.

One time we were on the ground taxiing in JFK for two hours and the FAs kept the drinks flowing and even passed around the snack basket a few times, really helps the delay get by quicker. After departure they were very quick and pro-active about getting the meals served, as most had already indulged in plenty of pre-meal cocktails and snacks.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yep, bottle of water on + full choice PDB is the norm on DL.

Only time this year I had no PDB on DL was on a 20 minute turnaround for a 40 minute delayed inbound morning flight.

FA apologized individually and in the process still took drink orders before takeoff. He had served the F cabin within a few minutes of the 10000' chime.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DEN-LAX Compass E-175 - PDB of choice! ^
LAX-OGG pmAA B752 - New Domestic Config. - PDB of OJ, water, "champagne," or a mimosa. ^

Both crews were outstanding!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
What PDB?

I fly at least a round trip a week, mostly connecting flights, or sometimes more, on my domestic flights on AA I had around 3 full bar PDBs, 1 water only ana 1 OJ or water. That's it. It makes full PDB to be around 3% tops.

On every US flight I had full bar PDB.

Complete and utter laziness of AA flight attendants and disregard for their own responsibilities. Nothing will change until AA states enforcing it based on our complaints, inflight secret flyers, disciplinary action. There are no excuses.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Love it
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:09 am

USAIR - Two for two today

This morning

US2013 PBI-CLT - Full PDB (Cheerfully offered). No snacks whatsoever after takeoff. (I am guessing mis-cater.)

US1946 CLT-ORD Full PDB. Snack basket after takeoff

Both flight very full.

In other words, PDB, exactly as advertised.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/360 2.8MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by 110pgl
This morning

US2013 – PBI-CLT - Full PDB (Cheerfully offered). No snacks whatsoever after takeoff. (I am guessing mis-cater.)

US1946 – CLT-ORD – Full PDB. Snack basket after takeoff

Both flight very full.

In other words, PDB, exactly as advertised.
US, exactly as advertised. If that had been an AA plane odds would have been very much against a proper PDB being served. The US crews take care of business, the AA crews not so much.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
DEN-LAX Compass E-175 - PDB of choice! ^
LAX-OGG pmAA B752 - New Domestic Config. - PDB of OJ, water, "champagne," or a mimosa. ^

Both crews were outstanding!
Wow, lucky. Just did the DEN-LAX on Compass and no PDB. FA seemed lazy. And when she came to offer food, she said there was one option, "salmon or salmon" UGH
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
Wow, lucky. Just did the DEN-LAX on Compass and no PDB. FA seemed lazy. And when she came to offer food, she said there was one option, "salmon or salmon" UGH
Maybe this explains why there is no preorder option for my DEN-LAX lunch flight this Saturday???
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
OGG-LAX pmAA Boeing 757 new Domestic Config. PDB of OJ or OJ.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:12 am
Suspended

LGA-CLT: open bar PDB of choice (lazy service once in the air on US)....not offered a refill once the entire flight even for a water.
CLT-DEN: nothing, nadda, zilch.....we even left early.....tweeted AA and their response was pathetic.

I must have bad luck but I have not had such positive experiences flying US Airways.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended

DEN-LAX: open bar PDB by a great crew (Compass).....despite boarding over half an hour late....weight restrictions due to the heat etc....mainline AA should be ashamed of their job performance....what really strikes me is that the regional airline employees probably make a fraction of what AA mainline FAs get but AA mainline can't be bothered to do their job and tell us: "once were in the air"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.