Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think next time I'll asked for a PDB but say "oh, I'm sorry I thought I was flying DL where they actually provide this service to F customers." DL and US are there as soon as you are seated asking your choice. Lets see if I get one on flight to BOS this morning, 757 boarding 2L.
Trying to shame someone without shame usually doesn't work. Until the orders come from above they will not change. At the moment there appears there is no one above listening. Maybe, just maybe, if you get the situation known outside this small band of customers, something will happen. I'm still pushing for using Twitter and tag your message with #PDBServed so they all can be tracked. If AA is going to be managed by bean counters, let's give them some numbers!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LGA-YYZ 9/25 AE#3472 CR-7 - Full PDB
YYZ-PHL 9/25 AE#4560 E170 - NO PDB - 30 minute late inbound aircraft so a quick board and go. I can accept this.
PHL-LGA 9/25 AE#4557 E170 - Full PDB

Again proving this is a PMAA problem that is not being dealt with.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
And the pattern continues...

Odds you get Full PDB...

PMAA - Good luck. 5%-10%
PMUS - Shocking when it does not happen. 95% (or more)

(no science involved, just a guestimate by myself)
I just completed 4 days of MR-ing on US. 100% PDB on all 16 segments. However, not one had premium booze when I asked for it (Johnny Walker or Dewars). So it's not all Dewars and roses over there!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I just completed 4 days of MR-ing on US. 100% PDB on all 16 segments. However, not one had premium booze when I asked for it (Johnny Walker or Dewars). So it's not all Dewars and roses over there!
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

The promised booze... never said good booze.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Nothing on today's 3:45ish from LGA-ORD. It's not like we were in a hurry, we landed an hour early. I'll be sending an email in shortly.

Edited to add: email sent. I'll report back what they say.

Last edited by United747; Sep 26, 2015 at 5:56 pm Reason: See above
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
AUS-DFW 9/26/15 AA1386 - No PDB. Drinks served shortly after departure and a full beverage service was done in Y on this 36-minute flight.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:09 pm

Slow night at AA customer service! I sent my complaint in at 6:55 pm central and got a response at 7:05 pm central:

"Dear Mr. [United747]:

On behalf of American Airlines and US Airways, thank you for contacting us.
I am sorry that you did not receive a beverage prior to the departure of your flight -- you certainly should have. Our inflight procedures mandate that unless circumstances or time constraints dictate otherwise, our customers traveling in first or business class cabins are to be offered a predeparture beverage on every flight. If, however, there are operational challenges that limit the time the aircraft is scheduled to be on the ground, our flight attendants must use their discretion to determine if there is sufficient time for a beverage service before take-off. Since none of the elements that would prevent a predeparture beverage service were apparent on your flight, I've sent a copy of your email to our Vice President of Flight Service to ensure compliance with our inflight procedures. Again, I apologize for what happened (or in this case, what didn't happen) but we appreciate your letting us know about it. Your valuable feedback gives us the opportunity to improve.

Sincerely,

[Customer Service Agent]
Customer Relations
American Airlines"
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Slow night at AA customer service! I sent my complaint in at 6:55 pm central and got a response at 7:05 pm central:

"Dear Mr. [United747]:

I am sorry that you did not receive a beverage prior to the departure of your flight -- you certainly should have. Our inflight procedures mandate that unless circumstances or time constraints dictate otherwise, our customers traveling in first or business class cabins are to be offered a predeparture beverage on every flight. If, however, there are operational challenges that limit the time the aircraft is scheduled to be on the ground, our flight attendants must use their discretion to determine if there is sufficient time for a beverage service before take-off. Since none of the elements that would prevent a predeparture beverage service were apparent on your flight, I've sent a copy of your email to our Vice President of Flight Service to ensure compliance with our inflight procedures. Again, I apologize for what happened (or in this case, what didn't happen) but we appreciate your letting us know about it. Your valuable feedback gives us the opportunity to improve.

Sincerely,

[Customer Service Agent]
Customer Relations
American Airlines"
Glad you sent it in...

Has anyone thought to tell AA to look at this thread?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Glad you sent it in...

Doubt it would make a difference, but I'll give it a shot after my next flight. Pretty sad when I just assume there won't be any beverage...
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Quote:

Originally Posted by United747

&quot;Dear Mr. [United747]:

Sincerely,

[Customer Service Agent]
Customer Relations
American Airlines&quot;

Glad you sent it in...

Yep... Got a call from AA HQ last week asking if I had any issues (hadn't flown AA since the end of June... took them long enough to ask where I went, lol) and I told the person I spoke with from the executive office EXACTLY what my issues were (lack of PDB being one of them!) and I 100% mentioned this specific FT thread and the fact that I was NOT alone on this! If they didn't hear me they're deaf!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:51 pm

Glad you sent it in...

I thought about including a link. But decided against it. I'm flying a lot of Eagle and PMUS in the next few weeks so won't have a chance to send another email in!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by lobo411
??? Apologies if your post is supposed to be sarcasm, I can't tell. The in-flight alcohol offered is standard so if there was a PDB offered it would include the standard catered booze. The alcohol offered in-flight is listed here: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...maincabin.html
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Thanks.

Care to share what response you got from the Twitter team? It's tough to push using a tool if they will not acknowledge or resolve the issue.

From my Twitter feed: Think I copied & pasted in order.

‏@mparel Sep 26

FYI, here's a full Flyertalk thread on @AmericanAir Pre-departure Beverage service at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation/793677-predeparture-drinks-beverage-pdb-when-what-why-not-consolidated-101.html . A real good read. #PDBServed

American Airlines ‏@AmericanAir Sep 26
@mparel We appreciate the additional information and we'll try to get your beverage on your next flight.

@mparel Sep 26
Kudos @AmericanAir flight 1509 MIA-BOS on 9/16 for #PDB of choice served. Too bad BOS-MIA flight 1086 on 9/23 couldn't manage it.

‏@mparel Aug 29
Impressed with @united offering pre departure drinks, asking what would you like? Compare that to @AmericanAir water & juice ONLY.

‏@mparel Aug 29
@AmericanAir Time of day has nothing to do with it. AM or PM & any M in between, it's just American Air culture & operations. Kudos @united

American Airlines ‏@AmericanAir Aug 29
@mparel We're very sorry that we're letting you down. We know it's very important to make sure pre-departure
beverage

United ‏@united Aug 29
@mparel We're glad to hear that you enjoyed having additional options. ^JJ

@mparel The full beverage menu may not be available. It depends on time and operation. Thanks for flying us.

@mparel Our Flight Crew tries to offer pre departure drinks when operationally possible, Marilyn. We appreciate your feedback.

@mparel Aug 29
@AmericanAir @united No they don't. They pass thru the 1st cabin with a tray of water & juice then sit down until departure.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:39 am

Glad you sent it in...

I just did only yesterday.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mparel
I just did only yesterday.
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.