Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by JetstreamJ
I believe from a reliable source that is door closure that denotes when the pay for FA's begins. That being said if I am paying over $3K for my wife and I to go to FLL from PDX RT : we still want a PDB!! The pay issue likely varies on the individual airlines.
A quick internet search says the same thing... actual pay starts when the door closes.

Agreed about expectations. As I said several posts ago... AA lists it as a benefit. So it is quite reasonable for you to expect it. One could go as far as to say it is part of the price. (At the very least, it is factored into the cost.)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JetstreamJ
I believe from a reliable source that is door closure that denotes when the pay for FA's begins. That being said if I am paying over $3K for my wife and I to go to FLL from PDX RT : we still want a PDB!! The pay issue likely varies on the individual airlines.
That's correct, however the same is true for DL and UA and they can both provide a reasonably reliable PDB service on the vast majority of their flights.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I can't see when pay starts to be an issue. They do quite a bit before that door closes. And the expectation that there will be tasks required while the door is open is not unreasonable. AA is stating it's a benefit and they should be able to ensure it is being done with minimal exceptions. Unfortunately, those in Dallas, or wherever the CSRs and Twitter team are located, all they can do is read the scripts provided and hopefully pass the complaints on to someone that has the ability to make changes. Now if they could just find someone "willing" to make changes. I suspect there are many AA managers in fear of their position going to their US counterparts once operations are merged.

Tree-huggers are not know for being innovators.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
AA1009, MCO-DFW, B738

Water or OJ only...

I'm sure both of my US flights tomorrow will offer full PDB.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
pmAA Boeing 737 BSI
ORD-DEN

Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

MD-80
DEN-DFW

Initial PDB of OJ or water. When the FA realized she had extra time after completion of boarding, she offered PDB of Choice. My choice of Jack & Coke also came with a full can of Coke! ^^

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Oct 1, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

two DL flights, including a 625am flight - re-fills and offered alcohol - AA has become really weak in PDBs
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

PIT-DFW today on AA1426 full PDB. First time for me on a domestic legacy AA flight ^ Hope the trend is slowly shifting.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: US,HH
AA PHX-ORD water or OJ
AA ORD-MIA water or OJ
AA MIA-PTY absolutely nothing, crew acknowledged no one on boarding and a 737 with only 70 pax on board. Boarded and left on time. I could go on and on about the problems with this crew
AA PTY-MIA water or oj
AA MIA-LAX nothing at all
US LAX-PHX full PDB, 2 refill offers during a 52 minute flight and 2 passes of the snack basket
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by kellio33
AA PHX-ORD water or OJ
AA ORD-MIA water or OJ
AA MIA-PTY absolutely nothing, crew acknowledged no one on boarding and a 737 with only 70 pax on board. Boarded and left on time. I could go on and on about the problems with this crew
AA PTY-MIA water or oj
AA MIA-LAX nothing at all
US LAX-PHX full PDB, 2 refill offers during a 52 minute flight and 2 passes of the snack basket
Its hard to believe nothing on a transcon. MIA and LAX crews are the best with service but you may have had another base. NYC FAs tend to be on the extremes with some wishing you would just deplane mid air.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Its hard to believe nothing on a transcon. MIA and LAX crews are the best with service but you may have had another base. NYC FAs tend to be on the extremes with some wishing you would just deplane mid air.
Did MIA-LAX 2 weeks ago and got a big fat zero on the PDB as well so it's not hard for me to believe. I posted it up thread too. Don't know where the crew was based and don't really care, they stunk.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Did MIA-LAX 2 weeks ago and got a big fat zero on the PDB as well so it's not hard for me to believe. I posted it up thread too. Don't know where the crew was based and don't really care, they stunk.
Yeah, I had just oj or water with a MIA based crew at the end of August. I think it's a mixed bag with every crew base.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DFW-SJO
Boeing 737 BSI
PDB of Choice ^
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
DFW-SJO
Boeing 737 BSI
PDB of Choice ^
Woah! Better play the lottery tonight!

Last edited by cmd320; Oct 2, 2015 at 9:55 am Reason: added obligatory 'y' :)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
AA 1788, CLT-ORD A321

Full-service PDB in the middle of a chaotic boarding process. Highly professional and friendly FAs managed it with ease. Service in the air was friendly and excellent. On another note, got to meet David Axelrod on this flight.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Woah! Better play the lotter tonight!
What I was thinking. FINALLY someone can win that powerball jackpot.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Woah! Better play the lotter tonight!
Originally Posted by brewdog11
...What I was thinking. FINALLY someone can win that powerball jackpot.
Better chance of winning the lottery than full PDB on AA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.