Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
I was the first one on the plane, so this USAir FA was clearly already prepared to offer PDB to FC!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-fa-pdb-fc.jpg
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a problem using the hashtag? This is a way to pull all the reports together. AA is full of bean-counters and having numbers helps.
No data scientist worth his/her salt would rely on hashtags to compute these numbers.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Is there a problem using the hashtag? This is a way to pull all the reports together. AA is full of bean-counters and having numbers helps.
Nothing wrong with the hashtag, couple of reasons I don't use it are

- I never remember it when I tweet
- if I don't remember it maybe others don't either
- I don't think AA folks refer to it as PDB and would get what we are trying to convey

I actually quite like the hashtag idea, maybe something that would be less relying on abbreviation and easier to remember and clear for all
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rjw242
No data scientist worth his/her salt would rely on hashtags to compute these numbers.
Better than nothing, and I doubt AA will launch a research project to see how drinks are served/or not on-board planes.

Do you have a better suggestion???
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Better than nothing, and I doubt AA will launch a research project to see how drinks are served/or not on-board planes.

Do you have a better suggestion???
Vote with your feet. I don't like grocery shopping at Jewel, so I go to Target.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by asnovici
Nothing wrong with the hashtag, couple of reasons I don't use it are

- I never remember it when I tweet
- if I don't remember it maybe others don't either
- I don't think AA folks refer to it as PDB and would get what we are trying to convey

I actually quite like the hashtag idea, maybe something that would be less relying on abbreviation and easier to remember and clear for all
I sent a tweet to AA some time back and the person that replied on AA's Twitter feed did not know what a PDB was, I had to define it for them.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by United747
Vote with your feet. I don't like grocery shopping at Jewel, so I go to Target.
... and Jewel knew why you left how? If you don't give the company a chance to change there's a good chance they won't. Of course walking is your choice, but sooner or later every company will let you down and you just might run out of choices.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I sent a tweet to AA some time back and the person that replied on AA's Twitter feed did not know what a PDB was, I had to define it for them.
That's going to happen, there are many that still refuse to use SWU instead of eVIPs, that's no reason to stop trying to use them. And it got you dialog with live body at AA, better than most communications!

It's not mandated. But I'm not going to scour every tweet to see if it relates to PDB, but I have searched for #PDBServed to see if it's being used. If you want to use it, great. If you choose to use something else, fine. The biggest point is to do something and don't expect AA to read your mind that there is something that will cause you to take your business elsewhere.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
... and Jewel knew why you left how? If you don't give the company a chance to change there's a good chance they won't. Of course walking is your choice, but sooner or later every company will let you down and you just might run out of choices.
They definitely do know why I left. I had a string of visits where there was a lot of expired food. Talked with manager and corporate.

I understand there is no perfect choice, almost like choosing the lesser of three evils. Which airline will I hate least?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
10/4 LAX-SFO water and champagne. Unusual selection for a domestic shorthaul, but worked for me.
10/10 SJC-LAX full PDB - just like every eagle flight I have taken this year.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:36 am

10/12 - 7am departure - ORD-DFW - AA2309 - Nothing.

FA really enjoyed her Dunkin Coffee and checking her email/playing on phone/chatting.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD and water/OJ only.

I was already DM Tweeting with AA about my pre-order for my return trip this week. I just replied back to them Hey FYI, the crew on this flight is only offering OJ/Water and I believe we should be getting a choice. They wrote me back and said something like: we just have that ready to go, did you ask for something else? Then I wrote back after landing and said: No I didn't ask because when we do we are repeatedly turned down. Then their reply was the most confusing thing ever. Because I guess the DM started on a pre-order request, they replied about how they were sorry and the Web Tech Team is aware of that not working but they're here 24/7 to help with selecting meals.....this is how they ended it: It sure makes us hungry, but we don't mind at all!

Not even going to address something so nonsensical
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
US your butt hits the seat and the FA is there with a napkin in hand asking for your beverage of choice. AA usually once boarding is complete,
This is my experience as well.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

US your butt hits the seat and the FA is there with a napkin in hand asking for your beverage of choice. AA usually once boarding is complete,

This is my experience as well.
Let me fix that for you... pmAA usually never. Ok, maybe 1 flight in 10... pmUS pretty much always.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Let me fix that for you... pmAA usually never. Ok, maybe 1 flight in 10... pmUS pretty much always.
Ha - I thought about updating the quote to "AA, on the rare instance it happens, it's after boarding is complete."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.