Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In all seriousness the 50k offer has been the standard on board offering for years, I would do some internet searching on Doctor of Cedit and the usual blogs to see if anything better is currently out there.

AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight
I was surprised to see no annual fee (first year) and no spending requirement. The FA did say sometimes it goes to 60K, but with no waiving of the 1st year annual fee.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I was surprised to see no annual fee (first year) and no spending requirement. The FA did say sometimes it goes to 60K, but with no waiving of the 1st year annual fee.
Yea, AFAIK that's been the standard offer for years. No AF first year and any purchase triggers the SUB.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I bit at 60k a few years ago and chose barclays over Citi when I made the decision to close one AA card to minimize AFs. I don't recall ever seeing better offers than 60k miles but I do remember the annual fee was charged. I had a buddy sign up during that promo and he got stiffed on the miles because he just made min payments and didn't pay the fee off in the three month window.

The Citi card hit 75k earlier this year and I re-opened it for that bonus. Definately no problem holding both cards for a bit. After a year or two downgrade one of the two cards to a no fee version, both Citi and Barclays have AA cards with no annual fees. The benefits largely overlap so there isn't much reason to hold both cards long term.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There have been Barclays 60K offers with no first-year annual fee in the past. I got it in 2019; friends got it in January of this year. You just have to watch for it.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi All - I have miles expiring end of the month and want to use them early next year but don't have specific dates yet. If I issue an award now that as far as I understand would extend the life of the remaining miles. However, if then in say January I cancel that award would they then retroactively "expire" my miles? What if I had earned some miles in the meantime (after my current expiry date?
Otherwise I guess I am looking at issuing a 5k ticket on Royal Air Maroc for next week and just being a no-show (which seems better than $75 for just 2,000 miles)
As I am UK based its not easy for shopping or dining.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Hi All - I have miles expiring end of the month and want to use them early next year but don't have specific dates yet. If I issue an award now that as far as I understand would extend the life of the remaining miles. However, if then in say January I cancel that award would they then retroactively "expire" my miles? What if I had earned some miles in the meantime (after my current expiry date?
Otherwise I guess I am looking at issuing a 5k ticket on Royal Air Maroc for next week and just being a no-show (which seems better than $75 for just 2,000 miles)
As I am UK based its not easy for shopping or dining.
Any activity in your account resets the expiration date. So if you book an award ticket today the expiration date is reset. If in Januaury you decide not to travel and cancel the ticket, the miles will be redeposited on the day you cancel and the expiration date will again be reset on that date. AA will not retroactively expire your miles because you didn't end up using the award ticket, or anything like that.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:07 pm

I see that AAdvantage Executive Platinum offers "Complimentary upgrades on award tickets"
Is this something that is confirmed at booking/ticketing? Or is it similar to the complimentary upgrade process when you are on a paid ticket?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that AAdvantage Executive Platinum offers "Complimentary upgrades on award tickets"
Is this something that is confirmed at booking/ticketing? Or is it similar to the complimentary upgrade process when you are on a paid ticket?
The EXP award ticket upgrades work exactly the same as the complimentary sticker upgrades. The only difference is on an award ticket you're ranked lower on the waitlist below any other EXPs on paid tickets (but still above all other elite levels).
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:15 pm

Thanks- And as a follow up, I would assume that an award ticked booked by someone below the status of Executive Platinum would never be upgraded.
So the benefit of EXP is "you may get upgraded on an award ticket," while PPro/Platinum/Gold will never get upgraded on an award ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hello FT,

I paid for a trip for myself and a friend then had to cancel. I forgot that I wouldn't get all the money back. We each received a flight credit. If I rebook us (again me paying for the flights) will I be able to use my friends flight credit as well as my own to rebook, as long as I have her flight credit information when I call to use mine? Thanks! I don't cancel tickets often so this is a gray area for me!

(edit: I have status so i want to book on one PNR so she has upgrade chance).

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by Bradhattan; Sep 19, 2022 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does PPro status allow me to select preferred seats on Alaska? I did a status match earlier this year but will not hit the required miles to keep my MVP gold status (shame on me for not reading the fine print that states I only have 90 days to hit the required miles).

EDIT: Found my answer on aa.com. Posting in case anyone else is curious in the future:

Last edited by AirricK11; Sep 19, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks- And as a follow up, I would assume that an award ticked booked by someone below the status of Executive Platinum would never be upgraded.
So the benefit of EXP is "you may get upgraded on an award ticket," while PPro/Platinum/Gold will never get upgraded on an award ticket.
Correct, comp upgrades on award tickets are only an EXP benefit.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hello FT,

I paid for a trip for myself and a friend then had to cancel. I forgot that I wouldn't get all the money back. We each received a flight credit. If I rebook us (again me paying for the flights) will I be able to use my friends flight credit as well as my own to rebook, as long as I have her flight credit information when I call to use mine? Thanks! I don't cancel tickets often so this is a gray area for me!

(edit: I have status so i want to book on one PNR so she has upgrade chance).

Thanks for any info!
I'm not 100% sure on the flight credit question, if you have her credit info you could always just attempt the booking and see if it will let you apply it.

That said, your companion does not need to be on the same reservation is order to inherit your elite seating and comp upgrade benefits. If you book it as separate PNRs just call AA after booking to get her seated next to you and on the upgrade list.
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Yes that is correct. (That said, there could be operational upgrades, which could be based on status.)
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I used BA Avios to book an AA flight yesterday. It's been 16 hours but I still do not see the flight show up on my AA account. Outside of the e-ticket receipt from BA when I booked the ticket, I do not see a follow up email to show that my flight was ticketed. How do I get the flight to show up in AA? I do have the ticket numbers that start with 125-214, but nothing that start with 001.

Bonus question: will I get to use my AA elite benefits on the flight since I used BA Avios to book? I am a lowly Gold member. It will be nice to choose MCE seats and not have to pay for a carry-on.

If it matters the flight is from Mexico to US.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.