Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Considering an itinerary to JFK and then a connection to a separately ticketed JetBlue flight. Will AA through-check my luggage to the JetBlue flight? (The second flight is not one of those AA/JetBlue codeshares)
Unfortunately, AA is known for not through checking baggages on separate tickets including AA -> AA connections.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:50 pm

Layover Panic! DCA and AA

Hello,

AA sold us a flight PWM-DCA-MCO with a 30 minute layover upon arrival at DCA. I have not set foot in this airport in almost a decade and have concerns about this short of a layover. The first leg is actually Republic Airways as AA. Please advise. I will have 2 children in tow (seasoned travelers and can hustle) and 3 carry-ons. We will be crossing our fingers the checked luggage makes it.

Thanks in Advance!
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:16 am

This has probably been answered many times somewhere, so apologies in advance. I am not a regular AA person, but have a few miles and want to book a trip for my son using my miles. During the booking process it indicates that the ticket cannot be cancelled but can be fully refunded. The blurb does not say there is a time restriction for cancelling and getting points back. This seems too good to be true. Is it? Or is there actually some required time before departure you must cancel?

Web Special rules and restrictions
This trip includes a Web Special award and cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles at no charge if your plans change.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by xooz
This has probably been answered many times somewhere, so apologies in advance. I am not a regular AA person, but have a few miles and want to book a trip for my son using my miles. During the booking process it indicates that the ticket cannot be cancelled but can be fully refunded. The blurb does not say there is a time restriction for cancelling and getting points back. This seems too good to be true. Is it? Or is there actually some required time before departure you must cancel?

Web Special rules and restrictions
This trip includes a Web Special award and cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles at no charge if your plans change.
For web specials, I think the blurb says the ticket cannot be changed but it can be cancelled for a refund.

In any event, for any award ticket you simply must cancel before the scheduled departure time of the first flight in order to have the miles redeposited and any taxes/fees refunded.
xooz likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For web specials, I think the blurb says the ticket cannot be changed but it can be cancelled for a refund.
This is true and you should be able to do it online. The miles are returned immediately and the cash in a couple of days. If you want to rebook then you can put the new flights on hold for up to five days while you deal with the cancellation provided that there is no conflict that makes the new booking impossible.
xooz likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MADPhil
This is true and you should be able to do it online. The miles are returned immediately...
I've done this online a couple of times lately; it took 30-45 minutes for the miles to be redeposited.
xooz and MADPhil like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by kidsfly
Hello,

AA sold us a flight PWM-DCA-MCO with a 30 minute layover upon arrival at DCA. I have not set foot in this airport in almost a decade and have concerns about this short of a layover. The first leg is actually Republic Airways as AA. Please advise. I will have 2 children in tow (seasoned travelers and can hustle) and 3 carry-ons. We will be crossing our fingers the checked luggage makes it.

Thanks in Advance!
You should be fine, unless of course the incoming flight is delayed.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:09 pm

Thanks for responses confirming what I read. With this being the case, I may expand my AA usage and book something speculative for next year. I did just get the Citi Premier 80K point bonus that I can transfer to AA.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:40 am

Programs: AA, SWA
Quick question as I'm not too familiar with partner airline earning. I'm about 900 short of the 2k for the AA EQD re-qualifier end of year program. If I book a random AS F (D and I code) between DFW and SEA, that should get me there?

1,657*2 * 0.30 = 994.2 EQD

There doesn't need to be anything special about this flight other than I need to make sure to use my AA number when booking on alaskaair.com ? Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Hi, Explat traveling with 3 family members on award ticket. No upgrades possible, correct? They are only Golds.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As an EXP, you can request upgrades for yourself and one companion.
Originally Posted by Global321
Doesn't OP need to split the reservation so there are only two people on it? aka... the system ignores it because it is 3 people?
Sorry I never circled back to these answers. So will I need to split the reservations to 2 and 2?
I have already selected MCE seats for all of us, if I split the reservation to 2 and 2, will those seat assignments be lost?

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kientran
Quick question as I'm not too familiar with partner airline earning. I'm about 900 short of the 2k for the AA EQD re-qualifier end of year program. If I book a random AS F (D and I code) between DFW and SEA, that should get me there?

1,657*2 * 0.30 = 994.2 EQD

There doesn't need to be anything special about this flight other than I need to make sure to use my AA number when booking on alaskaair.com ? Thanks!
Correct on all of the above.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:38 am

Sorry I never circled back to these answers. So will I need to split the reservations to 2 and 2?
I have already selected MCE seats for all of us, if I split the reservation to 2 and 2, will those seat assignments be lost?

Thanks
I believe you can split and still extend your seat benefits to your travel companions.

However, if you get upgraded, your reservation will be split again so it will be 1 1 2. At this point, I believe you will be unable to extend your benefits to your traveling companions.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
Yea, PNR needs to be split in order to request upgrades for just one of your companions. If you split the PNR your other companions will not lose their MCE seats, as there is no requirement that companions must be on the same PNR in order to leverage your free preferred seating benefits.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:12 am

I remember reading something on AA's website that was something along the lines of:

One world status will be added at ticketing or applied at the gate, whichever is higher.

I can't seem to find that verbiage on AA's site anymore... does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jsimon926
I remember reading something on AA's website that was something along the lines of:

One world status will be added at ticketing or applied at the gate, whichever is higher.

I can't seem to find that verbiage on AA's site anymore... does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's on the checked baggage page still. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Complimentary bags

In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags when traveling on itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines or marketed by American and operated by a oneworldŽ partner. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.