Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I haven’t been flying but there are reports of most FC FAs doing full beverage service most of the time.....there are also other flights with nothing offered.
That's basically the case. The other day on Skywest the F FA claimed there was no ice or beverages onboard then 10 minutes later opened the drawer put some ice in a cup and poured a Coke for herself.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
That's basically the case. The other day on Skywest the F FA claimed there was no ice or beverages onboard then 10 minutes later opened the drawer put some ice in a cup and poured a Coke for herself.
Thats appalling. And yet expected of AA flight attendants
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
You should've said something. That's ridiculous.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Personal protective equipment In May, we will begin to distribute sanitizing wipes or gel and face masks to passengers, as supplies allow. Our flight attendants will be required to wear face masks on all flights, beginning May 1.

came out about 11 hours ago, didnt see it posted. i wonder why it took them so long.
brewdog11 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by boerne
Personal protective equipment In May, we will begin to distribute sanitizing wipes or gel and face masks to passengers, as supplies allow. Our flight attendants will be required to wear face masks on all flights, beginning May 1.

came out about 11 hours ago, didnt see it posted. i wonder why it took them so long.
Glad to hear that AA is taking steps to protect employees and pax. I guess they had trouble locating PPE. Have TAs/GAs and FAs had access to masks so far throughout the pandemic?

AA (and other major airlines and transportation services) needs to develop a plan for mass testing of their employees. It's unfortunate that neither business nor government have addressed this so far.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boerne

Is May 1st the same day as the start of the new "snack bag" service? Maybe they are just going to put the Purell wipe in the bag like DL.
https://news.delta.com/bag-new-snack...elta-travelers
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
"as supplies allow". I'll be very suprised if the masks and wipes are widely available on flights, or that a significant number of pax who are not already wearing masks will use them. And that would make the whole effort pointless, since most masks only help keep you from spreading the disease. They don't do much to keep you from catching it from a maskless carrier. AA needs to follow B6's lead and make masks mandatory to board, and have some available at the gate as a courtesy to those dumb enough to not have their own. If I were to book a trip today I would choose B6 on this basis alone.

I also note that despite the rumors of snack bags AA.com still shows beverage service in F for all flights in May except for transcons.
enviroian and brewdog11 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:49 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I am quite frankly surprised at the implementation of the snack bags.

AA/UA/US went for years without providing anything at all to eat in the Y cabin on North American flights and I had assumed that the "snacks" (I say that loosely because 15-20 years ago a "Snack" was a sandwich box) that were recently re-introduced like pretzels, biscoff, snack mix, etc in the Y cabin domestically would simply be eliminated again as a cutback. Provisioning actual snack boxes/snack bags that are sealed with a water bottle and wet-nap seem like they would cost more than actually just providing the snacks as-is.

I'm quite pleased at the improvement of the soft product in Y on the US3 within the past couple years. AA introduced a more substantial snack on JFK-LAX/SFO flights, while also providing something more substantial on DFW/ORD-Hawaii flights. They also reintroduced free wine/beer in Y Internationally. UA for the most part did the same, and was also trialing (I'm not sure why such a feature needs a trial" offering amenity kits in the Y cabin internationally, which is something that DL has done for years now. It's quite sad that these enhancements will likely be eliminated, but I understand given the economic climate.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
AA introduced a more substantial snack on JFK-LAX/SFO flights, while also providing something more substantial on DFW/ORD-Hawaii flights. They also reintroduced free wine/beer in Y Internationally. UA for the most part did the same, and was also trialing (I'm not sure why such a feature needs a trial" offering amenity kits in the Y cabin internationally, which is something that DL has done for years now.
This is because virtually all of these changes were made by DL and AA had to align their offering. I'm sure had DL not done this AA would be more than happy to let you sit in the back and pay for water as was the USAir way.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:55 pm
CLT

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is because virtually all of these changes were made by DL and AA had to align their offering. I'm sure had DL not done this AA would be more than happy to let you sit in the back and pay for water as was the USAir way.
Delta never eliminated small snacks in the back though, and US only charged for water/soft drinks for less than a year back in 2008-2009.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A few more short haulers this week:

- CHS-CLT (321): No service in either cabin.
- CLT-PHL (319): Service in Y on request. Service in F was soft drinks or coffee only and they came with cups and ice. No liquor was aboard.
- PHL-RDU (319): No service in Y. Same service in F as the above, again no liquor.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Short flights probably won't be anything even in F. Interesting it seems as though it's the younger FA that won't do a service even in F. Older FAs will, like the one I had ORD/PIT the other night that did PDBs (granted there was only 4 of us). Coming back PIT/MIA I was the sole F pax and the young FA ignored me the entire flight sitting in the back gossiping with the other FA. Maybe because the older FAs have been through downsizing before.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Today on LGA-MIA F, I asked for a vodka and tonic, and I was given 4 vodkas, 2 tonics, and 2 cups of ice. One other passenger in F was drinking, and her white wine was refilled so many times that she finished the whole bottle alone. The other 2 F passengers declined a beverage. Y class was about 90% full. The flight to DFW at the next gate was oversold and looking for volunteers.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:59 pm
CLT

Snack Bag distribution begins tomorrow on flights 900mi-2199mi. The bag will contain a bottle of water and a "snack" (unsure what that actually means). They will pick it up as they board the aircraft from the galley. Bags will be the same for everyone regardless of class. What about flights longer than 2200 miles?

Sounds like the old AA Bistro Service/DL Sky Deli bags.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
Snack Bag distribution begins tomorrow on flights 900mi-2199mi. The bag will contain a bottle of water and a "snack" (unsure what that actually means). They will pick it up as they board the aircraft from the galley. Bags will be the same for everyone regardless of class. What about flights longer than 2200 miles?

Sounds like the old AA Bistro Service/DL Sky Deli bags.
Maybe on flights over 2200 miles you get two bags

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.