Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
Today on LGA-MIA F, I asked for a vodka and tonic, and I was given 4 vodkas, 2 tonics, and 2 cups of ice. One other passenger in F was drinking, and her white wine was refilled so many times that she finished the whole bottle alone. The other 2 F passengers declined a beverage. Y class was about 90% full. The flight to DFW at the next gate was oversold and looking for volunteers.
I wonder if that was the first oversold flight since onboard social distancing started
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wonder if that was the first oversold flight since onboard social distancing started
Nope last week the flight next to my gate LAX/DFW was oversold asking for volunteers. A couple days before that my MIA/DFW flight was full in both cabins. Load factor will always take priority over social distancing. Once the real capacity cuts start (I think 5/7) flights are going to be fuller again.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone flown in the past two days care to comment on the new snack bags you grab during boarding?
Old May 2, 2020, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
So, they're replacing meals on flights >2200 miles with the snack boxes in premium cabins? Because JFK-LAX is restarting, and I wonder...
Old May 2, 2020, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
So, they're replacing meals on flights >2200 miles with the snack boxes in premium cabins? Because JFK-LAX is restarting, and I wonder...
JFK-LAX should still get a meal all served at once I believe....PHX-JFK is shocking just short of a meal and would get a box I think.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
JFK-LAX should still get a meal all served at once I believe....PHX-JFK is shocking just short of a meal and would get a box I think.
I wonder if F gets anything over J on the 321T flights these days... Maybe glassware LOL
Old May 2, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder if F gets anything over J on the 321T flights these days... Maybe glassware LOL
JFK-LAX and vice versa hasn’t been running. I think 1 flight starts again on 5/7 and then 3 begin running 5/8.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brc757rr
JFK-LAX is currently suspended until June.
It's on the schedule starting May 7.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yep 3x day I think
Old May 2, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yep 3x day I think
May 7 oddly shows 1X, but then yeah, it grows to 3X.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brc757rr
JFK-LAX and vice versa hasn’t been running. I think 1 flight starts again on 5/7 and then 3 begin running 5/8.
Yup, 5/7 resumption. I meant what will they be serving then in F vs. J. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA/LAX and MIA/SFO still get the single tray service. Not sure what Y is getting. Lately all my upgrades clear. It's going to be hard going back to the days of Y and upgrade lists rolling at 30 people plus.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
LAX-JFK May 9th

Just flew AA 2 LAX-JFK in J. 8am flight.
Choice of
- oatmeal with fruits (dried & fresh)
- cheese & spinach frittata
- can't remember the other options

It was served on a single tray, with a side of fresh fruits, a small bagel, jam & butter, a small cheese plate with grapes & sourdough crackers, and a biscotti.

The J cabin was less than 50% occupied, I noticed 3 passengers were upgraded to F.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zip10001
Just flew AA 2 LAX-JFK in J. 8am flight.
Choice of
- oatmeal with fruits (dried & fresh)
- cheese & spinach frittata
- can't remember the other options

It was served on a single tray, with a side of fresh fruits, a small bagel, jam & butter, a small cheese plate with grapes & sourdough crackers, and a biscotti.

The J cabin was less than 50% occupied, I noticed 3 passengers were upgraded to F.
I’ll be on that flight soon
Old May 9, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
So on flights where alcohol is available “on request” in F, how do pax go about requesting drinks? Do the FAs walk through the aisle to check on pax, or do pax approach the galley/use call button? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.