Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
3/4 - AUS-DFW - Full drink service in the air
3/4 - DFW-DTW - Only 11 of 16 F seats occupied. "No service in either cabin" announced. Water+snack bags distributed after takeoff. Everyone got their choice of sandwich or cheese plate. Good service.
3/6 - DTW-DFW - Full F cabin, Water+snack bags on the seat. FA started food distribution in the back so only cheese plates available to me in row 2, but that was my preference on this flight. Good service inflight. Arrived nearly an hour early.
3/6 - DFW-AUS - Drink orders taken on the ground, served in the air, refills proactively offered. Unfortunately no decaffeinated diet soda available. LAA A321 with comfy seats and seatback video. Wish the flight was longer.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by born sleepy
ATL-DCA today on Republic, in F. No service of any kind. FAs went missing after the safety demo. Not acceptable. I was reading and had my headphones on 11 to drown out the honking woman behind me who had yet to master the art of INSIDE VOICE so I might have missed the Barclays pitch if it was done.

Friday on PSA and mainline F drinks were offered without asking.

What makes Republic special?
Is this just an AA phenomenon? I was on a UA marketed Republic flight a few days ago, and the FA provided consistent drink service/refills for the F cabin the entire flight, along with everyone getting a snack box. But I don't fly Republic operated flights very often, so don't know if this was a one-off.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by econ
Is this just an AA phenomenon? I was on a UA marketed Republic flight a few days ago, and the FA provided consistent drink service/refills for the F cabin the entire flight, along with everyone getting a snack box. But I don't fly Republic operated flights very often, so don't know if this was a one-off.
It’s just AA Republic flights IME
chrisny2, cmd320, econ and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It’s just AA Republic flights IME
Agree - I had a few United Express operated by Republic flights and they all had excellent service in First Class.
econ likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by econ
Correct, I've had a few Republic operated UA Express flights since the pandemic started and got proactive service in both Y and F.

This is purely either AA not caring or AA's rules lost in translation.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:36 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
United never discontinued full beverage service on their flights (with the exception of alcohol for purchase in Y) so Republic FAs have no choice but to do a service.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
3/11 5417 (PSA) CVG-PHL. Warm welcome by name from a cheerful FA, but had to request a beverage. Fairly impressed by the AHA, a big improvement from Dasani Lime.
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I was reading and had my headphones on 11 to drown out the honking woman behind me who had yet to master the art of INSIDE VOICE so I might have missed the Barclays pitch if it was done.

Friday on PSA and mainline F drinks were offered without asking.
Three ladies on the starboard side managed to drown out my podcast. I feel your pain.

3/11 PHL-ORD 2095. Great crew, proactive service. The Barclay Card hawking was a bit aggressive, just like the "old days."
Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by CLT
United never discontinued full beverage service on their flights (with the exception of alcohol for purchase in Y) so Republic FAs have no choice but to do a service.
Good point
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So I have a choice of a non-stop AUS-PHL on a Republic E175, versus a DFW connection. Should I opt for the connection, which would add two hours to the trip and net me a free sandwich, or the 3.5 hour nonstop without a crumb of food and a fight to get anything to drink?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
So I have a choice of a non-stop AUS-PHL on a Republic E175, versus a DFW connection. Should I opt for the connection, which would add two hours to the trip and net me a free sandwich, or the 3.5 hour nonstop without a crumb of food and a fight to get anything to drink?
Nonstop, especially if you can get the A-side seats. Pack your own turkey sandwich, call it a picnic.
dpb132, AAway, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:50 pm

Hi I would like some help for my upcoming vacation trip in F:
LGA to CLT: depart at 8 AM, expect nothing but coffee, bring breakfast?
CLT to SXM: depart 11:20 AM expect drinks and sandwich?
SXM to MIA: depart 3:15 PM expect drinks and sandwich?
MIA to LGA: depart 8:43 PM expect drinks and sandwich?

I got into the covid habit of bringing my own extras (e.g. prosciutto to enrich the sandwich or a chocolate cake for dessert, plastic cutlery, etc). Any ideas and tricks would be appreciated!
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by af fp
Hi I would like some help for my upcoming vacation trip in F:
LGA to CLT: depart at 8 AM, expect nothing but coffee, bring breakfast?
CLT to SXM: depart 11:20 AM expect drinks and sandwich?
SXM to MIA: depart 3:15 PM expect drinks and sandwich?
MIA to LGA: depart 8:43 PM expect drinks and sandwich?

I got into the covid habit of bringing my own extras (e.g. prosciutto to enrich the sandwich or a chocolate cake for dessert, plastic cutlery, etc). Any ideas and tricks would be appreciated!
If it's under 900 miles no food but beverages. So LGA to CLT just beverages. CLT/SXM which I'm assuming is over 900 miles drinks and a sandwich, ditto MIA/LGA.
af fp likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Republic E175 ( . . . ) a fight to get anything to drink?
Currently on AA4983 DCA-EYW, Republic E75, 9:15am. After we leveled off, FA appeared poised to scurry off to the back, so I made eye contact and asked if she was doing drinks yet. "Sure, if you want one!" came the reply. I ordered a screwdriver.

Here's where the script flips: She goes back to the galley, makes my drink, and even premixes the vodka and OJ in the cup... and it gets better. As I take out my tray table, she sees that it's wobbly in the middle. So she puts my drink down in galley, comes back with a napkin that she folds up a few times, and wedges the napkin under the hinge of the table to keep it level, before retrieving & placing my drink down.

I'm stunned. Wish I could give her a Michelin star. Maybe three. (And, to her further credit, she then got the manifest out, took everyone else's orders by name, then passed out the water bags, and then came back to me with a refill.)

chrisny2, enviroian, AAway and 8 others like this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Mar 14, 2021 at 1:00 am Reason: Add missing ampersand
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Two Republic legs this weekend, both in F and drink orders were taken without prompting. Last weekend ATL-DCA in F, I never saw the FAs again after the safety demo. I didn't know there was a crew rest hide-out on E175!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Any thoughts/rumors on when more normal service or BYOB food will be available in Y?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.