Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Assuming that auntie's ticket did not cost more than the 150K extra miles in your account, I could visualize this:

"Dear AA, I'm really sorry I broke the terms and conditions, and accept your penalty of 300K miles. However, please do not cancel my aunt's ticket. That was not a miles purchase, but a genuine gift to a relative. I would hate for her to pay the price for my mistake. Please let me know if there is any way we can take the miles out of the rest of my account."

They'll probably say, "screw you," but worth a try.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54
I've never seen an ID check for a domestic flight in the last 10 years.
I see about one every 2 years. (TSA agents at the gate checking IDs as you scan your BP.) It's random and rare, but I guess it does occasionally still happen.

The last one that happened to me happened to be the 1 time in the past 2 years I've flown Spirit. No idea if that was a factor or if they do it to some carriers more than others.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by no1cub17
But why would you buy so many miles without having a know use for them first (i.e. multiple awards on hold)? That makes literally no sense to burn thousands of dollars buying miles when you don't even have a plan of how to use them. For as much money you spent buying miles, you could've just bought the tickets you wanted. Not sure who's giving you advice on such matters but it's time to make new friends.
Last year, I bought 250,000 miles during the “best price sale” - my thought process was that was four one-way business class tickets to Europe for about $1,200 each, which most would say is an OK deal. I purchased the miles with my Amex Platinum and earned a good chunk of MR points as well. Worked out well initially as I booked two tickets from AMS on AA Metal in business class for 57,500 each. However this year I have not been able to find similar flights to or from Europe as availability on AA metal has gone to zero. Point is at the old prices and availability, buying 250,000 miles for $4,800 made some sense. At current prices and availability (85,000 to 115,000 per flight to Europe on AA metal), it makes no sense. Shows the danger of using cash to buy miles without immediate use.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only way I'd buy 250k for $4800 is if I had a plan to redeem them the minute they hit my account.

The "best price sale" brought the miles down to just under 2 cpm, which almost everybody here would agree is still way too much to spend without a really specific, really immediate purpose.

The only points I have bought with no real purpose in mind are Starpoints when I could get them under 3 cents each and Marriott points at 1 cent when I needed a top-off to hit Lifetime Titanium last summer. (Getting LT status was worth enough to me that I didn't care if Marriott devalued the points, which of course they promptly did. )

I've done a few small airline mile purchases over the years, but always either for a promotion (e.g. US Airways Grand Slam) or as an award top-off.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Adelphos

Last year, I bought 250,000 miles during the “best price sale” - my thought process was that was four one-way business class tickets to Europe for about $1,200 each, which most would say is an OK deal. I purchased the miles with my Amex Platinum and earned a good chunk of MR points as well. Worked out well initially as I booked two tickets from AMS on AA Metal in business class for 57,500 each. However this year I have not been able to find similar flights to or from Europe as availability on AA metal has gone to zero. Point is at the old prices and availability, buying 250,000 miles for $4,800 made some sense. At current prices and availability (85,000 to 115,000 per flight to Europe on AA metal), it makes no sense. Shows the danger of using cash to buy miles without immediate use.
Bit off topic, but sometimes I wonder if that isn’t the point of those sales - drum up interest and sell miles before devaluing them...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by deskover54
I've never seen an ID check for a domestic flight in the last 10 years.
Have you flown AA or any other US airline domestically in the US in the last ten years as an adult? It doesn’t sound like you have, or you would know that the TSA generally requires adults to show an ID and their boarding pass in order to proceed to the security screening to be conducted on passenger’s body and belongings.
diburning and no1cub17 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
To me it is so obvious that the 300K number is not random - that's the penalty and that's the number you were trying to sell on CL.

Where were you trying to go with your purchased miles? "anytime" awards were not available on any flight? Oh, wait, that's what "anytime" awards are.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Have you flown AA or any other US airline domestically in the US in the last ten years as an adult? It doesn’t sound like you have, or you would know that the TSA generally requires adults to show an ID and their boarding pass in order to proceed to the security screening to be conducted on passenger’s body and belongings.
They're referring to an ID check at the gate airside, not at security checkpoint or the check-in counter.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, out of curiosity, in theory, what is the problem with someone selling miles that they either bought from the airline or otherwise earned? Logic says you earned the currency you can do whatever you want with it. Has anyone challenged the airlines in court about this bs? Like a real court, consumer oriented?

To me, this sounds like another trick the airlines do to scam their customers...First they devalue the miles, then they find tricks to either confiscate the miles or let them go unused...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by hotturnip
However, please do not cancel my aunt's ticket. That was not a miles purchase, but a genuine gift to a relative. I would hate for her to pay the price for my mistake.
In what way is the aunt "paying the price"?

The aunt got an award ticket for free. The ticket was cancelled. The aunt came out even. +$0 -$0.

The aunt is now in the position of anyone else who wants to travel: Buy a legitimate ticket and go.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...and you can be sure that AA is reading this thread!
I agree, and thanks to your note I edited my post with clarification. Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
In what way is the aunt "paying the price"?

The aunt got an award ticket for free. The ticket was cancelled. The aunt came out even. +$0 -$0.

The aunt is now in the position of anyone else who wants to travel: Buy a legitimate ticket and go.
she may have lost time, so now she has to pay a more expensive ticket closer to the flight.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nk15
So, out of curiosity, in theory, what is the problem with someone selling miles that they either bought from the airline or otherwise earned? Logic says you earned the currency you can do whatever you want with it. Has anyone challenge the airlines in court about this bs? Like a real court, consumer oriented?

To me, this sounds like another trick the airlines do to scam their customers...First they devalue the miles, then they find tricks to either confiscate the miles or let them go unused...
This has nothing to do with logic or ethics. However disagreeable the program may be, AA's terms and conditions prohibit this behavior and they reserve the right to take action against abusers.

There have been lengthy discussions as to the ethics of this that fall well outside the purview of this particular thread but it's AA's house and barring some landmark legal or legislative action to the contrary, consumer protections for rewards programs will continue to remain one-sided.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
I am sure AA Corporate Security is a lot more sophisticated that some of the posts in this thread suggest.
True.

I work as a database administrator in an industry not unlike an airline. (I have never worked for any airline.)

I routinely dig out data that is like finding a needle in a haystack. That is why they pay me the big bucks. I know how to do it and I am good at my job.

I'll add this: My most valuable tool is the pad of paper and pencil next to my desk. Once a perp makes it to my pad of paper, they are toast. Human intelligence and intuition beat any algorithm any day, IMHO.
deeruck and SJOGuy like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Folks, it does not matter if the lady for whom the award ticket was purchased was his aunt, mother, sister, best friend, boss or total stranger.

It is perfectly possible for a person to : (ETA: and violate the terms and conditions, which I do not advocate)

1. Give an award ticket to a non-relative
2. Sell/barter/trade an award ticket to a non-relative
3. Give an award ticket to a relative
4. Sell/barter/trade an award ticket to a relative
Your 'ETA' is not completely correct. While #2 and #4 violate T&C, #1 and #3 do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.