Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
I am going to contest the email and prove she is my aunt.
I did post the AD on CL and had people reach out to me but no sale ever went thru.
My ad on CL stated 300K miles for sale, because I had more and I was struggling to get tickets for my travel so I deiced to see if I can sell and get my money back for what I paid for. I know they linked me thru my number because my ad did have my number posted and then with the timing me booking a ticket for my aunt for next year just collided thinking I sold my miles
i hope you tell this to AA when you email as I’m fairly certain they keep an eye on this forum and it won’t be too hard for AA to join the dots and if you tell them something different then it won’t end well for you and your remaining miles.
AJA_ likes this.
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
That phrase follows AA saying that any future violation will result in the account being closed and OP also mentions having 450K miles in total whereas AA only penalised OP by cancelling the 300K advertised. That leads me to believe that AA has already been lenient by revenue protection standards.
Agreed. The piece that's missing from the "public presentation" here is the timeframe of that communication and what the OP has or hasn't done in the interim.
Often1, Antarius, MADPhil and 1 others like this.

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
The OP says his number was listed in the CL ad. That's basically doing the work for AA Corp Security. Seems AA Corp Security works a bit like the movie Minority Report. They convict you based on your future crimes

But all in all I think AA is being very reasonable. We've seen many accounts over the years lost completely. While it's an expensive lesson to learn, 300k is better than 450k.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
I am going to contest the email and prove she is my aunt.
I did post the AD on CL and had people reach out to me but no sale ever went thru.
It does not matter if it is your real aunt or not.
The fact is that you posted an ad on craigslist and you showed intent by exchanging communication with potential buyers.

That you ended up not selling the miles to anyone is irrelevant. You still went against the T&Cs.

It will be also interesting if you post the WHOLE email that AA sent you, not just the last paragraph.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
It does not matter if it is your real aunt or not.
The fact is that you posted an ad on craigslist and you showed intent by exchanging communication with potential buyers.

That you ended up not selling the miles to anyone is irrelevant. You still went against the T&Cs.

It will be also interesting if you post the WHOLE email that AA sent you, not just the last paragraph.
AA is correct to take the miles but that doesn't mean once can't appeal for some compassion. OP has been forthcoming and if they admit they didn't know the rules and didn't intend to break them it is entirely possible a lenient AA may give them back their miles or perhaps at least some of them.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you place an add on Craig's List, wouldn't you need to leave a contact number or email address for a prospective purchaser to contact you?
No.
Craigslist uses email relay so when you communicate with a buyer/seller through your regular email account you don' see each other's email addresses.
craigslist has implemented 2-way email relay to help stop spam and scams.

When replying to a post you'll see an address like:
[email protected] rg

When answering an email you'll see an address like:
[email protected]. org

Use your email program as you normally would.
JonNYC, Antarius, chitink and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
AA is correct to take the miles but that doesn't mean once can't appeal for some compassion.
Does AA fraud department have "compassion"?
I will leave that to JonNYC to answer but it seems to me that if the OP was not asked to proof that the aunt is real, then AA already has decided they don't care about that.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:06 am

Many posts wonder if his "aunt" is really his aunt. So far as I know, you can use your miles to buy tickets for anyone, relative or not, so long as you don't receive compensation. Many people hear have used miles for others who are not relatives and never had a problem. Lack of compensation may be more likely for a relative, but if the relative paid anything you're still in violation.

Advertising on CL violates the rules. Cancelling the ticket seems the easiest way for AA to get the miles back, however innocent the aunt ticket may have been.

Whether AA will show some mercy due to never actually selling on CL (even though the ad is a violation) is not clear to me (unlikely if there are other undisclosed issues). JonNYC, any insight on this (assuming no other issues)?
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I will leave that to JonNYC to answer but it seems to me that if the OP was not asked to proof that the aunt is real, then AA already has decided they don't care about that.
Based on third party observations on the master thread, it seems that AS Corp Security/fraud department is reasonable if you spare them the ......... Come clean, stop it and they appear to have met some posters halfway. Tell tall tales or aggressively react and they seem to get the bellows out to stoke the coals they are raking the poster over.
carlosdca and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The issue has nothing to do with the OP’s aunt. One can gift award tickets to anyone. But if AA contacted Auntie, inquired and was told “I reimbursed / paid him...” it’s game over.
wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The aunt is irrelevant. Tell AA they tried to sell the miles, didn't know it was against rules, ultimately used them for a family member, they never intended to break the rules and we're just trying to find a way to recoup the money they'd spent buying them which was a poor decision and cost them a lot of $$$ mea culpa, so sorry, etc. Ask them if they could at a minimum reinstate the aunt's ticket (assuming it was like 50k-150k miles) and volunteer to forfeit the rest. Worst case they say no, best case the full 300k is returned.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
The issue has nothing to do with the OP’s aunt. One can gift award tickets to anyone. But if AA contacted Auntie, inquired and was told “I reimbursed / paid him...” it’s game over.
Interesting. Had not considered that AA would contact the recipient, but of course that's a possibility.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fotographer
why would you not first find awards then buy the miles... even if the reward was months and months out.
You and I wouldn’t do this but plenty of people buy miles when they go on sale with the intention of using them “someday.” I only buy to top off if I’ve already selected an award flight for which I’m short.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by deeruck
Interesting. Had not considered that AA would contact the recipient, but of course that's a possibility.
That’s happened a couple of times when I’ve gifted award trips.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If this is the 1st time you have done this and you were unaware of the rules....
The ones we all agreed to when we joined?
Often1 and FAA1996 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.